Looking to get a new ATT Phone

Gnu314

Limp Gawd
I have a nice little Samsung SGH-A707 that I have been very happy with up till now, but it was a phone for school and not for business.
Also its something like two and a half years old and starting to fall apart.

My usage is pretty sparse at the moment.

I text, a lot. Probably 3-5000 per month.
For this reason I don't know if the iphone is for me. I like having a tactile keypad.

I'd like to be able to check my work e-mail (pop3) and gmail. For reasons below... I'd rather avoid a data plan and would prefer to go with wifi.

Edit: I would also benefit from having a good PDA/scheduler. I know that WinMo is good for this.

I have never used the internet or an IM client on my phone (cause I can't now without a data plan).

I can afford a data plan/iphone but I don't think that it would be worth it based on my usage.
I know the iphone is made of gold and unicorns, and I wouldn't complain if I carried it around but I'm just not sure its worth it to me.

I definitely want something with wifi, even without a data plan. I'd love to be able to check boards or my fantasy scores while I'm out.

I'm considering the epix but it sounds like it has a lot of crashing issues.
I had a motorola winmo phone a few years back and I loved/hated it because it was so buggy, so I'm leery when I see those reports.

The fuze looks nice, but is out of my price range. Same with the Bold. I'd like to go with something in the 1-200 range with a contract renewal (or less obviously).
If I could avoid a contract renewal (by getting something used), I would love to do that.

Last edited:
Texting a lot, as you said, is specifically the reason you shouldn't get an iPhone. A tactile keyboard is invaluable for this purpose and I'm one of the company that hates touchscreen keyboards for text input (you may belong here). WinMo is much more powerful when it comes to scheduling, tasks, and the calendar.

I was going to say get a Bold, but it is out of price range.

They are releasing the BB 8900 in a week or so in your price range. I say get that, perfect for what you want to do. 3G, WiFi etc.

I don't think the 8900s have a 3G radio, but it's definitely a fantastic choice.

Consider the E71x, or failing that (not sure if it requires a data plan, for one thing), Amazon has unlocked E63-2s for $180 after a $50 rebate.

I love the idea of the iphone. Its really a great device.... but I really don't think its a great device for my purposes. Between the texting and planning functions that I need (I really could use a PDA device at this point in my career... more if I end up switching jobs or getting laid off), I think its not in my best interest..

I don't think the 8900s have a 3G radio, but it's definitely a fantastic choice.

Consider the E71x, or failing that (not sure if it requires a data plan, for one thing), Amazon has unlocked E63-2s for $180 after a $50 rebate.

Oops, yeah no 3G.

I love the idea of the iphone. Its really a great device.... but I really don't think its a great device for my purposes. Between the texting and planning functions that I need (I really could use a PDA device at this point in my career... more if I end up switching jobs or getting laid off), I think its not in my best interest..

My Bold has really helped me in my career as far as keeping on top of things.

Anything you get, make sure it is enterprise friendly, so to speak. You want a work device, not a toy.

I still say get a 8900/9000 and tweak the crap out of it. Here is mine:

bbscreen.png

The Bold looks like its $199 as a refurb with no data plan.

What do you think about that, with a 2 year contract renewal.

I have to admit, its my favorite of the choices listed so far.

The Bold looks like its $199 as a refurb with no data plan.

What do you think about that, with a 2 year contract renewal.

I have to admit, its my favorite of the choices listed so far.

I have one and am a fanatic about it. It is fast, sleek and the keyboard is awesome. Toss in a 8gb mem card and you are good to go. The screen is large and very easy to read.

It fits the bill perfectly. Best Buy and Radio Shack have them new for $200.

I have one and am a fanatic about it. It is fast, sleek and the keyboard is awesome. Toss in a 8gb mem card and you are good to go. The screen is large and very easy to read.

It fits the bill perfectly. Best Buy and Radio Shack have them new for $200.

Ooh? With a data plan or just a contract renewal?

Definitely stick with the bold, I really liked my curve and the bold seems to fix all the flaws the curve had. I would have gotten one myself but work uses winmo so I have an epix which is quite good just winmo freezes up a lot, if you can handla that its a really cheap phone currently.

Played with the Bold recently and was really impressed with it. Solid device.

One thing I was not sure about, how do ATT contracts work?

I need a BB for work and ATT is the only carrier which has full signal on my property so the choice is obvious.

How do these voice vs. data work for ATT, which contract should I get to be able to plug in my BB into my company's BES, use internet, etc?

>.< I've been developing software on BBs for a while but have no clue how the contracts work... my dev BBs always come with unlimited crap :D :(

And the biggest thing:

Will I be able to use different SIMs in the ATT phone, unlocked, or will ATT unlock it at request (like T-Mobile). I need to be able to use the phone Internationally and using ATT roaming is not my idea of fun. With T-Mobile I just got a local SIM card and used that while overseas.

ATT usually unlocks at request. If not, just get another CSA by calling back. There is no rule against it, some CSA's are just jerks.

you can get tactile feed back on the iphone you just have to jailbreak it... Or wait for 3.0 to hit i think. i dont mind typing on my ipod touch i wish i had an iphone even with no service it would be cool...

Back