Looking to pick up a Shuttle.

0ptional

Don't Trust Your Friends with Your Decanter
So.

I do my research, I look at all the DIY SFF stuff, cases, mobo's, etc.

I still just prefer the form factor of the Shuttle machines, and I've convinced myself that the SD32G2B as found on Newegg.com for 279.99+shipping is right for me.

I'll be putting an E6400, 2GB of PC6400, a 500GB SATA2 drive, and an X-fi in there; basically I'm transplanting my desktop into this barebone.

The part that worries me is the 250W PSU.

In the Newegg reviews of both the Black and Silver model of the case it seems mixed.

Some report that the PSU handles overclocked 7900 series cards and an overclocked CPU, while another reports that his 7600GT had trouble staying on.

I noticed most the issues mentioned were in Vista specifically, and I do not plan to run Vista as my game of choice, Final Fantasy XI is not supported in it yet, and because of the piss-poor driver performance so far.

Now, Shuttle also has the SN37 and the SN39's which are based on the 975X chipsets and have 400W PSU's; but they're much more expensive. The SN37 is automatically off my list because it doesn't have a PCI slot for the X-fi. The SN39 is a perfect match just like the SD32 is, but it's $460 and only found at buy.com if I remember correctly.

I'm going for smaller form factor, and most importantly less noise. I don't plan to overclock anything in this machine, I haven't overclocked for a while because I care more about keeping it silent and cool than bleeding fast and hot as hell. Even on water I'd rather just keep it at stock running very cool so my fans are at low all the time in this PC.

I want to keep this machine on almost 24/7 so noise is a big issue for me. I know the ICE cooling in the Shuttle is pretty good but I was probably going to pick up a SilverStone NT-06 and use it without the fan, that would mean the GPU is the only real noise issue there and I can't hear my GPU fan right now in this machine in it's Lian-Li PC-65B so I don't think it'll bug me in the Shuttle.

My specific 7800GTX is a BFG 7800GTX OC 256MB card; now, I really don't care about the OC. I actually might find myself downclocking it because FFXI is capped at 30FPS anyway and I care more about noise than 100% performance.

I haven't found any reviews of this particular model, but I assume it works just as well as any other 945G chipset machine; that it's GMA950 graphics is spectacularly underated as I've found by doing much more than I ever though possible with the same chipset and almost exact same setup in my MacBook.

So umm.

Cliff's for lazy people -
-Looking at Shuttle SD32G2B on Newegg.com right now for 280$
-250W PSU enough for E6400 + 2GB RAM + 7800GTX + 500GB HD?
-Worth upgrading to the SN39P2?
-Other good looking all black aluminum barebones you think I might like?

there is no way you are going to fit the nt06 in there. The ice cooler is fine and very quiet stock. Also the motherboard has a different heatsink mounting pattern than standard.

there is no way you are going to fit the nt06 in there. The ice cooler is fine and very quiet stock. Also the motherboard has a different heatsink mounting pattern than standard.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I found http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine which is a pretty accurate PSU wattage calculator.

I found my projected system requires about 298W of power. If only the 7800 series weren't such hogs...

I even dropped it down to a 7600GT which I was considering locating in a passively cooled version and it bought me down to 260W on the calculator...

I've found a few reviews of pre-builds of the case too and some random EU forum threads about it specifically. They seem to have an X1900XT in there just fine...

I wonder where the 250W is rated from on these Shuttle Silent-X PSU's.
Like my PC P&C 510W TurboCool SLI is rated at full load...

Edit: And it seems I forgot to read the note on the calculator about the CPU selector thing. I had Dual Processor selected and I swore I had read Dual Core instead, oh well. I changed it back and now I'm well in spec to 250W so that brings my peace of mind back quite a bit.

Shuttle PSU's are very conservatively rated, the key is the 12V line which is rated for 18A for the 250W PSU.

I have always used high end video cards in the most all of the G2 and G5 Shuttles with the 250W PSU and never had any issues (6800GT, X850XT, 7800GTX).

Currently I'm using a Shuttle PC50 300W PSU in my SD32G2 and running an 8800GTS with an X-fi. :cool:

The only problem I have had with the SD32G2 is that the X-Fi was having issues with crackling due to PCI-Latency not being set on the card. After using PCI-latency tool and setting it to 64 it helped significantly.

The new Shuttle SD39P2 which should be out in a few weeks, does have a standard PCI slot - and may be a better option for you as it can easily handle an 8800GTX or 8800GTS as it has a 400W PSU(2x 12V lines rated at 34amps)

Hope this helps!

Dave

Shuttle PSU's are very conservatively rated, the key is the 12V line which is rated for 18A for the 250W PSU.

I have always used high end video cards in the most all of the G2 and G5 Shuttles with the 250W PSU and never had any issues (6800GT, X850XT, 7800GTX).

Currently I'm using a Shuttle PC50 300W PSU in my SD32G2 and running an 8800GTS with an X-fi. :cool:

The only problem I have had with the SD32G2 is that the X-Fi was having issues with crackling due to PCI-Latency not being set on the card. After using PCI-latency tool and setting it to 64 it helped significantly.

The new Shuttle SD39P2 which should be out in a few weeks, does have a standard PCI slot - and may be a better option for you as it can easily handle an 8800GTX or 8800GTS as it has a 400W PSU(2x 12V lines rated at 34amps)

Hope this helps!

Dave

Thanks a lot!

I do like the look of the SD39P2 but it's way too expensive... I can't justify another 180$ for it.

I actually just placed my order on the Egg. Hopefully the machine is here tomorrow.

7800GTX-2.jpg

I recommend a Shuttle Mesh case cover to keep that 7800GTX running cool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHUTTLE-PF16-Bl...305274QQcategoryZ3666QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
7800GTX-2.jpg

I recommend a Shuttle Mesh case cover to keep that 7800GTX running cool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHUTTLE-PF16-Bl...305274QQcategoryZ3666QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Umm. How did you even get it to boot... when the 7800gtx is in mine, it won't even boot.

Using a 2x 4-pin Molex -> PCI-E power adapter; which I'm not entirely sure is wired correctly, can someone take a detailed picture of theirs or give me a wiring diagram?

Otherwise I found out today that this machine does *not* like DDR2-800; as I should have expected from an Intel 945GM system... but I wasn't thinking all that well at the time. I picked up some Corsair Value-RAM at Fry's for 139.99 for 2x1GB; and I went with a SATA 18x LightScribe DVD burner to get rid of that awful folded and cut up IDE cable.

I swapped the stock ICE fan with a Zalman 92mm with a 5-volt mod too.

My HDD is the loudest thing in my system; this is by far quieter than my old system.

Running nice and cool too despite the 7800GTX not booting so far...

I would REALLY appreciate a little wiring diagram to help me out; I've been all over google and newegg and anywhere with pictures of these adapters to help me out.

I have one plug on each of the rails of the PSU that have 4-pin Molex connectors and I'm pretty sure this PSU can take it...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just booted again using only one of the Molex connectors instead of two and I'm running from the 7800 GTX on DVI right now... wtf?

I was only using one end of the molex to PCI-E splitter to power my card also.

-Dave

I was only using one end of the molex to PCI-E splitter to power my card also.

-Dave

K, well it's all up and running now so who am I to question it.

I need to get a camera to submit my creation. I'm going to stealth the DVD burner first though I think...

Dave

Question:

How are you able to run a 8800gts and a x-fi? Aren't all 8800GTS dual slot cards? Mine is and it covers the PCI slot.

I did not have the X-Fi installed when I took the pics with the 8800GTS, however it is installed with the 7900GTX in the last two pics. The PCI slot is the inside slot in all of the G2/G5 Shuttle models. I simply modded the case cover and rear chasis support frame to allow the dual slot cooler to extend outside of the case. An added benefit is that the entire system runs cooler since the video card draws fresh air while it exhausts all heat outside of the case!

This mod would not be possible in any of the larger P model Shuttle's as the PCI slot would be covered by any dual slot Video card.

Back