Looking to upgrade my 3870

I game at 1080P and am looking for the best bang/buck at that res. I'm not into most new games, and believe that I'd benefit most just by going to 1gb of vram (over my current 512) with faster shaders as I'm a flight sim (FSX mostly) guy and not a FPS guy. Generally I'm cpu bound.

Budget is of course a concern :) No top of the line 5890 for me.

Ideas? Suggestions? There are too many sku's this generation to easily keep it straight, but if I'm buying I might as well look to the 5xxx series as it supports DX11 on my win 7 rig. I'm not in a real hurry so the current supply issues are not important at all- along with the current gouging...

TIA

Q6600 4g ram. Generally a powerful system considering the age. I'm still happy with the core and can't come near justifying an i7 for another 4 years or so.

Q6600 4g ram. Generally a powerful system considering the age. I'm still happy with the core and can't come near justifying an i7 for another 4 years or so.

CPU overclocked? If not its probably going to hold you back some. I would try to get it to 3ghz+ if possible. Most hit 3ghz fairly easy. Depending on your power supply a think a 5850 would be a nice choice.

if you are really interested in DX11 you are going to need to get a powerful enough card to push the dx11 features(aka tessellation) so a5850 would be minimum there, if you give up on the DX11 idea, a 4890 / 4870 1GB, GTX260 Core 216 should do you fine

Dx11 is a would be nice but not critical- look how the dx10 investment worked out. I have one title that supports dx 10 and that is beta at best (FSX) everything else is dx9 or some ogl.

Oc right now is 2.7 on stock. I need cooling to get up to 3ghz- maybe Christmas/ birthday. I'll look into that too. Too much to do right now since I'm 2 weeks into chemo for stomach cancer.

Dx11 is a would be nice but not critical- look how the dx10 investment worked out. I have one title that supports dx 10 and that is beta at best (FSX) everything else is dx9 or some ogl.

Oc right now is 2.7 on stock. I need cooling to get up to 3ghz- maybe Christmas/ birthday. I'll look into that too. Too much to do right now since I'm 2 weeks into chemo for stomach cancer.

well shit man, good luck with the chemo =(

I'd say go to a 48xx series, its nearly twice as fast as the 38xx and is cheaper then a 5770
or a GTX 260 ^^

A GTX 260/275 or a 4870/4890 is probably where you want to be if you aren't worried about DX11. Your Q6600 won't bottleneck too much at that res, but if you can break 3ghz you will probably see a difference too.

Just a hint, there are some awesome deals right now for GTX 275s in the FS/FT section ;) I just picked one up myself.

A GTX 260/275 or a 4870/4890 is probably where you want to be if you aren't worried about DX11. Your Q6600 won't bottleneck too much at that res, but if you can break 3ghz you will probably see a difference too.

Just a hint, there are some awesome deals right now for GTX 275s in the FS/FT section ;) I just picked one up myself.

I'm leery of buying used. I've seen 4890's for under $200 before rebates. That and I try to skip at least ONE generation of card :)

There are some trustworthy sellers in this forum. I have sold a few cards my self including a 5870 here recently for $350.00. Just watch their feedback.

Back