Looks like CS Source is more taxing than originally thought

Bumrush

Limp Gawd
My GT crawls at times, especially during heavy gunfire. I'm talking sub 20's :( Dropping the resolution and turning down AA/AF has little to no impact, especially on the larger servers... Wondering how the game runs on ATI hardware, I'm not interested in what people are getting in the video stress test, it is worthless IMHO.. Also, if you are playing, please specify how many people are on the server and at what settings. Look at these posts for reference, they are popping up all over the Steam forums...

Link 1

Link 2

What did you expect? It's makes heavy use of pixelshaders.

My X800XT goes from 90 to 40 alot. 16x12 max everything with 2xAA and 8xAF. But hit 20's a few times when a nades go off taking out a bunch of ppl and sending ragdoll into overdrive. CPU bottleneck ofcourse.

It could be a driver thing. :confused:

Tone down some settings one at a time to see whats causing it. Start with the Pixelshaders

Bumrush said:
My GT crawls at times, especially during heavy gunfire. I'm talking sub 20's :( Dropping the resolution and turning down AA/AF has little to no impact, especially on the larger servers... Wondering how the game runs on ATI hardware, I'm not interested in what people are getting in the video stress test, it is worthless IMHO.. Also, if you are playing, please specify how many people are on the server and at what settings. Look at these posts for reference, they are popping up all over the Steam forums...

Link 1

Link 2

What driver version are you using?

I, too, have this problem. when it gets heavy it drops in the 30s, my card should NOT be doing that.

I can't help but laugh. I wonder, since HL2 will be even more taxing that people will see even more issues with low framerates, it seems so. Glad I don't have a GT ;)

I'm just curious myself since ATI did mention their card would be the preferable choice for HL2...Neway not bashing on Nvidia or anything just was wondering if thats true...
Neway damn I read on anotehr forum this one pro-active ATI hardcore freak was all shocked that this one dude on his 6800 was getting 90fps wit max everything...
I dunno how true that is cuz according to many sites online, the nvidia cards should not be getting such good fps...
But whats really shocking is how you said... Dropping the rez and all the nice special effects don't help... like seriously DAMN!
I mean I would think dropping the rez and playing on the low settings should help a bit for FPS and watnot, it always did for cS =D

Brent_Justice said:
What driver version are you using?

Tried the 66.81, 65.32, now using 66.51 series...

All exhibit the same FPS problems.. I thought something was screwy on my system, but it seems to be a very common problem... Oh well, we should not expect next-gen software to run games over 40 fps at all times.. I'm more worried about how HL 2 runs now, I think a lot of us got struck with Doom 3 fever, a game that very few us will be playing over the next year. HL 2 and all the mods that will come with it will be played for the next few years, perhaps ATI was the way to go, especially when you consider how many good dx9 games are going to come out like Stalker.... Quake 4 is far from being finished and probably won't run well on this gen, anyone try playing D3 DM online with more than 5 or 6 players???
In retrospect, Nvidia scored a massive coup when D3 was released before HL2. If I were in the ATI camp I would be really pissed with all the delays that ultimately swayed a lot of people towards Nvidia when D3 was released.

Bumrush said:
I'm more worried about how HL 2 runs now, I think a lot of us got struck with Doom 3 fever, a game that very few us will be playing over the next year. HL 2 and all the mods that will come with it will be played for the next few years

I hate to say it (actually I love it), but I told ya so. Doom 3 lasted me, maybe 12 hours. HL2 will last much much longer. Just for comedies sake I'm hoping HL2 runs like total ass on NV hardware, oh the chaos, it would be great. I dream of it. ;)

i dont think its graphics card related. for me anyways. i can run full everything at 1600x1200 and get 100fps when im by myself or even with 8 people. BUT when i get into games with 20 or more people it dips into the red sometimes. when someone throws a grenade and wood and it splinters, it causes my computer to stutter too.. im thinking its a bottleneck in CS:S right now or maybe i just need an fx-53

doh-nut said:
i dont think its graphics card related. for me anyways. i can run full everything at 1600x1200 and get 100fps when im by myself or even with 8 people. BUT when i get into games with 20 or more people it dips into the red sometimes. when someone throws a grenade and wood and it splinters, it causes my computer to stutter too.. im thinking its a bottleneck in CS:S right now or maybe i just need an fx-53

If I had a credit card I'd get CS:S and let you know if an FX-53 would help, but alas, I don't :(

joecuddles said:
I hate to say it (actually I love it), but I told ya so. Doom 3 lasted me, maybe 12 hours. HL2 will last much much longer.

You never told me! :mad:

Bumrush said:
All exhibit the same FPS problems.. I thought something was screwy on my system, but it seems to be a very common problem... Oh well, we should not expect next-gen software to run games over 40 fps at all times.. I'm more worried about how HL 2 runs now, I think a lot of us got struck with Doom 3 fever, a game that very few us will be playing over the next year.
Sig worthy quote.

Hmmm...what settings are you guys getting the stuttering at? I'm running at 1280x1024 (LCD limit) with 2xsAA and 8xAF, getting about 82fps on the stress test. During gameplay, the fps will drop down to maybe 35 during heavy fights, but it never stutters are appears 'un-smooth'. The 66.81 drivers boosted my fps by about 10fps over the 61.77s.

System is an AMD64 3000+
Geforce6800NU 12x6

You know, this sounds like a server bottleneck more than what is happening on your individual systems. Back when I was running a slow ass BF1942 server (1.8 ghz celeron with 512 ram) I would get stuttering inside the game AND my fps dropped as well. As soon as I upgraded the server to a 3 ghz P4 with 1024 ram, my fps shot back up to the 90s and everything was smooth sailing. So IMO this is a server problem and/or poor coding from valve. I really doubt this has anything to do with the GT being a poor performer in this game because as noted in the first link in this thread, a guy with an XT PE is having the same issues.

joecuddles said:
I can't help but laugh. I wonder, since HL2 will be even more taxing that people will see even more issues with low framerates, it seems so. Glad I don't have a GT ;)

I think you missed the first link from the original poster where an x800xtpe user was experiencing the same slowdowns and problems. Not an Nvidia-specific problem.

tranCendenZ said:
I think you missed the first link from the original poster where an x800xtpe user was experiencing the same slowdowns and problems. Not an Nvidia-specific problem.

Yes, yes indeed I did. Site is blocked from work :p

Not sure if its on the server side but I suspect it is on our side.. One of the servers I play on is on an OC48 network with dual opterons...

I run 1280*1024 4xaa 8xaf High Quality and have enver seen a lower fps then 38. Im not just saying that either, i average ~75 on aztec and dust, much higher everywhere else.

Cali3350 said:
I run 1280*1024 4xaa 8xaf High Quality and have enver seen a lower fps then 38. Im not just saying that either, i average ~75 on aztec and dust, much higher everywhere else.

Have you tried chateau at all? Are these 40+ player servers or just the smaller 10v10 servers???

Bumrush said:
Have you tried chateau at all? Are these 40+ player servers or just the smaller 10v10 servers???

24 or 32. I was spectating once and had 20+ players ina huge firefight in dust udner the bridge, i got ~66.
Chateau i average ~55 ill say, but NEVER goes lower then 48.

heh that would be funny if they coded in something so that if ur vga was something from nvidia it capped ur frames down lol

:( Okay now I have seen dips in to the teens..... This was during a heavy gunbattle with nades going off and both sides pretty much going to the same choke point... Everyone was complaining about massive video lag. Going back to the poster that talked about server side lag creating video lag, what does a choke of 38 signify???
Another thing, read some posts where some 6800 users were forcing dx8.1 as a resolution, something I'm not willing to do- yet...
de_chateau0002.jpg
[/IMG]

Bumrush - i really DO NOT have this problem. Its ALWAYS smooth for me, and never below 42. I dont know what to say, your problem is elsewhere.

Your choke is really high...I wonder if that is affecting your fps somehow...don't think so though, but it's something to look into.

-gl -full +cl_smooth 0 (Go to the "Play Games" Menu, right click on CS:S then go to properties, click on launch options and paste the text above it in there then click ok. Don't paste the square brackets though. Just the text inside

Cali3350 said:
Bumrush - i really DO NOT have this problem. Its ALWAYS smooth for me, and never below 42. I dont know what to say, your problem is elsewhere.
Cali, I believe you :) What settings are you running? 1280*1024? Everything set to high? How about AA/AF ?

UoMDeacon said:
Your choke is really high...I wonder if that is affecting your fps somehow...don't think so though, but it's something to look into.

Deacon, any console commands to tweak your choke? What is an optimal rate on a 3mb cable connection? I think I may move back to DSL, it is much more stable ping-wise.

Cali3350 said:
-gl -full +cl_smooth 0 (Go to the "Play Games" Menu, right click on CS:S then go to properties, click on launch options and paste the text above it in there then click ok. Don't paste the square brackets though. Just the text inside

Last thing, what do those commands enable ?

Bumrush said:

Simply changes the way data is sent across the gae. Effects no video options.

Bumrush said:
Cali, I believe you :) What settings are you running? 1280*1024? Everything set to high? How about AA/AF ?
1280*1024 4xaa 8xaf control pnael set to HQ and everything within game maxxed.

I really think its your choke.

Bumrush said:

Bumrush I play on the same server as you do. The thing your forgetting to tell these people is that its a 42 player server. No shit your card drops in frame rates when you have 30+ people spamming bullets. Its to be expected :/

Cali3350 said:
1280*1024 4xaa 8xaf control pnael set to HQ and everything within game maxxed.

I really think its your choke.
Well, it almost has to be.. Everything else just smokes, D3 1024*768 Ultra Quality, 8AF 94fps, 3DM2003 12,500, so I really don't think it is a hardware issue if in fact people with similiar systems aren't getting these massive drops...

Demon, thats what I'm trying to get to, if its a common problem then I'm done posting and will just wait for the next update or live with lower settings, just wanted to verify with people who have played on large 40+ servers and haven't had the same spikes. It makes the game almost unplayable.

DemonDiablo said:
Bumrush I play on the same server as you do. The thing your forgetting to tell these people is that its a 42 player server. No shit your card drops in frame rates when you have 30+ people spamming bullets. Its to be expected :/
Which is a result of his choke and connection. Try adding the command above. Ive been in 42 people servers no prob before.

Cali3350 said:
Which is a result of his choke and connection. Try adding the command above. Ive been in 42 people servers no prob before.

The thing is everyone and i mean EVERYONE on the server has the exact same slow down at the exact same time no matter where they are on the map as soon that huge 30+ battle occurs depending on the map.

I just think that the orginal post was probably miss worded or something. This guy can do all the console commands he wants and get the most uber pc in the world but the fact of the matter is the server is what is causing everyone to lag. nVidia, ATI dont matter. They both exp. the same slow down.

My question to you is what 42 player server are you playing on that doesnt have slow down? Id like to check that out for myself b/c to be quite frank with you I dont believe you :rolleyes: (call me a man with a lack of faith if you will ;) )

DemonDiablo said:
The thing is everyone and i mean EVERYONE on the server has the exact same slow down at the exact same time no matter where they are on the map as soon that huge 30+ battle occurs depending on the map.

I just think that the orginal post was probably miss worded or something. This guy can do all the console commands he wants and get the most uber pc in the world but the fact of the matter is the server is what is causing everyone to lag. nVidia, ATI dont matter. They both exp. the same slow down.

My question to you is what 42 player server are you playing on that doesnt have slow down? Id like to check that out for myself b/c to be quite frank with you I dont believe you :rolleyes: (call me a man with a lack of faith if you will ;) )
Anywy to see the ip's youve logged on to? Ill give you ip if there is. Ill search for it tonight. I believe it was in Chicago.

Back