Losing my Ghz

DamienThorn

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been using a couple of my computer labs at work to fold over the Christmas break, but now am reimaging them, and my folding stuff wasn't added to the image...:( I'm moving from ~57Ghz to a measly 10Ghz or so....I was hoping that I'd be ranked at least in the 300s before this happened...:(

:( never good... how often are they reimaged??

Keep on Folding!!

Sorry to hear that. I watched in awe as you blew past me the other day. I had high hopes for your progress, too! I guess a bit of me was folding vicariously through you! Ha! Anyway, good luck to you; try to grab some new rigs again over there!

OSUguy98 said:
:( never good... how often are they reimaged??

Keep on Folding!!

They're reimaged about once a semester or so....I'm going to see if I can either a) include it in the next batch of images or b) gradually install it over time in order to perpetually "stress test" the rigs....

In other, somewhat better news, I might be able to start borging the staff's machines here in the near future...that would be nice...we've recently picked up about 30 or so new pentium 4 machines (for secretaries doing word processing, no less :rolleyes: ). If I can get them folding, I think that I'll start shooting through the ranks again...

DamienThorn said:
They're reimaged about once a semester or so....I'm going to see if I can either a) include it in the next batch of images or b) gradually install it over time in order to perpetually "stress test" the rigs....

In other, somewhat better news, I might be able to start borging the staff's machines here in the near future...that would be nice...we've recently picked up about 30 or so new pentium 4 machines (for secretaries doing word processing, no less :rolleyes: ). If I can get them folding, I think that I'll start shooting through the ranks again...

Sorry about the lost GHz. Good luck on the new.

I feel your pain. I had the same problem with my first big farm. I got permission to borg machines at my high school (where I also worked during the summer), but is was a pain keeping them all going.

At first I wasn't allowed to install them as services, so I went around to about 50 computers every night and logged on, ran UD, and then locked them. I then arrived at school early, and restarted each machine before classes started.

Once I got permission to install the services, I still had re-imaging every term to deal with, so I had to re-install about 80 machines every 4 months.

It was completely worth it though.

Back