Love your i7 920 ?

stop tempting me! wait... I've already got i7! damn it, wanna do it all over again :D

Well, so far I got the i7 920 Processor. Just hope its a good Batch....... # 3842A555 We shall see on Tuesday!!

Mine's running at 3.8ghz :D Compiling is so much faster ... I was surprised, even at stock 2.66ghz it felt a lot smoother in Windows than my Core 2 Quad QX6700 2.66ghz.

Mine's running at 3.8ghz :D Compiling is so much faster ... I was surprised, even at stock 2.66ghz it felt a lot smoother in Windows than my Core 2 Quad QX6700 2.66ghz.

probaby because of dynamic oc'ing, stock i7 920 runs at 2.8ghz actually when under load (more, if the load is on one core only)

probaby because of dynamic oc'ing, stock i7 920 runs at 2.8ghz actually when under load (more, if the load is on one core only)

Oh really? I didnt know that. The more I hear about this chip, the better I am glad I bought one.

I love my i7 920 setup. I upgraded from a QX9650 that was clocked to 3750 and it is noticably faster. I'm running it at 3800 at 1.25v under load.

Its a great upgrade.

Upgraded from X3350 @3.2 to i7 920 @3.8.
No difference at all! :eek:
I do not type faster on my keyboard and internet speed is the same! :mad:

With the i7, I can masturbate with 4 cores with HyperThreading... (makes the jack rag twice as stiff)!!!

On a serious note, transitioning from a Opteron 185, 2Gig of DDR, and a 8800 640GTS to an 920, 6Gig of DDR3, and a GTX 285 has made a world of difference in gaming.

just got it up and running, finishing up installing apps, loving it so far

going to give it a nice burn-in before trying to push it

Similar rig here, came from a single core centrino 1.6 laptop, had sold my opty 175 system in dec '07, which was built in dec '05. Before that it was a 3.0c at 4.3 under phase change. Interesting points: the opty/sli system cost more to build in 2005 than an I7 in 2008 ! encoding a 800mb avi to vob took 1hr 40 mins with the P4, and less than 20 mins with the I7.

Stable 3.8HT takes 1.29v in windows, 4.0 HT takes 10% more vcore which starts pushing mid 80's across the 4 cores,but no crashes, no grief, no hassles, under any of the OS'es

2009 Nehalem i7 Build Log 16-18th January 2009

During the weekend beginning from the 16th of January , the old Pentium 4 built inside a chieftec matrix case was about to be replaced by a new machine altogether.

The specs of the old machine are as follows:

• ABIT ice-7 pro Socket 478 Mobo
• 2gb DDR Ram
• Nvidia 7800GTX AGP Card(i had a ATI 9800gtx before)
• Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz northwood
• Seasonic 450w PSU
• Chieftect full tower Matrix case

The specs of the new pc are:

• ASUS P6T deluxe Socket 1336 Mobo
• 3GB DDR3 Ram
• Nvidia 260GTX card
• Intel i7 920 2.6GHZ Nehalem
• Seasonic m12 600W PSU
• Lian LI full tower PC-A7010 case
• Thermalright Ultra Extreme aka TRUE
• Enermax 120mm fan.

As you can see, this is a major upgrade for me and one i have enjoyed building over last weekend. Enough talk, lets see some pictures !!

IMG_5724.JPG

This case is a monster. Just look at the size comparison between the case inside the box and my 360!

IMG_5742.JPG

More pics of comparing the size of the case alongside the 360.

IMG_5726.JPG

Christmas came late for me :)
IMG_5731.JPG

The Brain of my new pc

IMG_5732.JPG

The memory

IMG_5754.JPG

Nice looking mobo!

IMG_5756.JPG

This cooler took AGES to install!! A nightmare if you don’t know how to do it first time!

IMG_5758.JPG

Installed in the mobo tray

IMG_5763.JPG

Look at the size of that card!

IMG_5774.JPG

No hard drives?

IMG_5783.JPG

Old vs new

IMG_5802.JPG

My legendary pc!! It has served me well for the past 5+ years. As you can see i modded it and cut out the side panel myself using a electric jigsaw

IMG_5821.JPG

All up and running :)hows my cable management lol

IMG_5833.JPG

All done..

I just bought a Core i7 combo at Superbiiz, so I can't wait to be gloating about its performance here! Something must be wrong with me though, as it was quite expensive, and I don't think I've ever spent so much on a computer.

2009 Nehalem i7 Build Log 16-18th January 2009

During the weekend beginning from the 16th of January , the old Pentium 4 built inside a chieftec matrix case was about to be replaced by a new machine altogether.

The specs of the old machine are as follows:

• ABIT ice-7 pro Socket 478 Mobo
• 2gb DDR Ram
• Nvidia 7800GTX AGP Card(i had a ATI 9800gtx before)
• Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz northwood
• Seasonic 450w PSU
• Chieftect full tower Matrix case

The specs of the new pc are:

• ASUS P6T deluxe Socket 1336 Mobo
• 3GB DDR3 Ram
• Nvidia 260GTX card
• Intel i7 920 2.6GHZ Nehalem
• Seasonic m12 600W PSU
• Lian LI full tower PC-A7010 case
• Thermalright Ultra Extreme aka TRUE
• Enermax 120mm fan.

As you can see, this is a major upgrade for me and one i have enjoyed building over last weekend. Enough talk, lets see some pictures !!

All done..

I have read some reviews that if you go with 6GB Ram 2GBx3, and a x64 OS, you get a major performance Boost......

Yah I just took the plunge -

got the i7, an Asus P6T (none dlx), 3gb corsiar 1600 and a scythe mugen2 -

yah if the cooler is a PAIN to install but a million time better than those damn clips -

running Vista 32 business - and it oc'ed to 4.02 like nothing....OMG yes I love it

No my i7 is a piece of crap!!!!

Just kidding.

Amazing processor. I have pretty much the same settings as the poster, except the latency on my RAM is lower (probably not noticeably different).

3.8GHz is quite enjoyable :-D

Now I just need a video card to back it up...

Okay I got it all up and running fpr about 2 weeks now

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the rig works great I OC'd to 3.33g and the bios temp says it is at abpou 35 - 36 c at idle and I been running since last night. I used win 7 64-bit Loaded up Autocad MEP and thunderbird email client. Autocad shuts down on me a lot. Kinda remonds me of the old days of AutoCAD 12 and 13 and 14 where you had to save like after every command! LOL Been running cad all day and goofing around all night. So my only issue so far is that the Easytune 6 won't work in win7.

Web pages load lightning fast.

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 EVGA 01G-P3-1280-AR GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

1 CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

1 Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

1 G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ

1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard
1 Hanns·G HG-281DJB Black 27.5" 3ms with X-Celerate™ Technology HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor with Height Adjustment

1 LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 - OEM

2.8ghz won't feel that much faster than 2.66ghz -- I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who could really notice a 5% difference right away.

It seems most has tthem running around 3.8 - 4.1. I just hope mine will do in that range. I will find out some time this week.....

Mine too is stable at 3.8Ghz, but I don't run it there 24/7. Stock cooling makes 3.6Ghz my top end for now. It may be my top end for good, I honestly just cannot justify pushing my chip any harder then it is now considering how much I already got out of it. Since I got this much out of it on stock cooling, I don't see another 400mhz being worth a whole new cooler or even worth the cost for a mounting kit to move my TRUE from the Q6600 to the i7. Stock cooling, stock voltage, and 1Ghz of free speed above stock. Can't beat that, not even with a stick.

Mine too is stable at 3.8Ghz, but I don't run it there 24/7. Stock cooling makes 3.6Ghz my top end for now. It may be my top end for good, I honestly just cannot justify pushing my chip any harder then it is now considering how much I already got out of it. Since I got this much out of it on stock cooling, I don't see another 400mhz being worth a whole new cooler or even worth the cost for a mounting kit to move my TRUE from the Q6600 to the i7. Stock cooling, stock voltage, and 1Ghz of free speed above stock. Can't beat that, not even with a stick.

I got the Cooler Master V8. I just hope it does a good job. I havent seen any bad reviews on it, so ............

i got mine at 3.3ghz and i have a TRUE. should i push it any further? if i do i need to tweek teh VCORE? id otn have very fast ddr3 ram though. only 1066 :(

2.8ghz won't feel that much faster than 2.66ghz -- I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who could really notice a 5% difference right away.

For one, that guy may be ABLE to tell the difference and he said so, second, it's i7 at 2.8ghz vs qx6700 at 2.6ghz, and third, why do you bother posting without actually seeing the post I'm responding to? You feel you e-peen growing when you take posts out of context and attack them?

i got mine at 3.3ghz and i have a TRUE. should i push it any further? if i do i need to tweek teh VCORE? id otn have very fast ddr3 ram though. only 1066 :(

Your Ram may hinder you if you push it more. But I am not real good at these things. But if it were me, I would leave it alone until I got faster Ram..... just my 2 cents

Your Ram may hinder you if you push it more. But I am not real good at these things. But if it were me, I would leave it alone until I got faster Ram..... just my 2 cents

And a worthy 2 cents it is. You are correct, his ram will be his limitation for any serious overclocking. Good advice.

And a worthy 2 cents it is. You are correct, his ram will be his limitation for any serious overclocking. Good advice.

Thanks. i will wait until ddr3 1600MHZ goes down for less then £100 for a 6gb kit. 1600mhz enough to OC up to 3.8ghz without touching the rams settings?

I got the Cooler Master V8. I just hope it does a good job. I havent seen any bad reviews on it, so ............

let me know how you do with your OC, i'm using a V8 as well, and will start pushing the cpu this week

let me know how you do with your OC, i'm using a V8 as well, and will start pushing the cpu this week

Ok, I will post it here. I havent recieved all my Parts yet, but they are supposed to be here by Wednsday.

Back