Love your socket 754?

Emission said:
Well, not anymore lol. This Presler is gonna be creaming the FX-60 in TDP and capability! , soon as I get it of course :D

Hahahahahahaha!

The day a P4 beats any AMD processor in TDP, I will burn my Opteron.

Ninja edit for incorrect grammar :p

hehe.. it'll happen eventually, but we probably won't be comparing similar performance levels :p

Hehe, considering I might be making the move to AMD I probably shouldnt have made that comment >.<

I'm regretful.

I had a mobo issue and went to 939 for some reason :(

I should have stayed withmy lovely 3400 and bought the Asus K8N4-E (or whatever it's called) NForce 4 4x and gotten the x1800XL then.

Then I could be upgrading to the 754 4000.

I'm sad and my current setup still feels slower (if I remove the GPU) than the rig in my sig.

Pooky said:
I'm regretful.

I had a mobo issue and went to 939 for some reason :(

I should have stayed withmy lovely 3400 and bought the Asus K8N4-E (or whatever it's called) NForce 4 4x and gotten the x1800XL then.

Then I could be upgrading to the 754 4000.

I'm sad and my current setup still feels slower (if I remove the GPU) than the rig in my sig.

Never a fun time hearing about people having troubles with their hardware...but at least you've got something up and running that's far from a machine you'd be ashamed of...look at it that way and hopefully things turn around for ya.

Just got some goodies from newegg. So what do you say is safe'ish to run through a venice for vcore?

For starting out, probably not any more than 1.55. Let it burn in at that and watch your temps, if it stays high 20s-low 30s, you should be fine to bump it up to 1.65. :p Nice thing is, those E6 cores run very cool (normally).

Yea, mine is an E6. Even under high volt load, it tends to stay under 46-50 ish load.

1.65 is a definate max. thats .25v over stock, which is alot, as if anyone thought of giving a 130nm chip 1.75v, it would be mayhem.

My Barton uses 1.65v stock. If I had better surrounding components for it (HSF, Case, Mobo) I could push it a little. My VA-10 dosnt want to overclock very well.

I never got to volt it so, I wouldnt know :) . I wish my barton was still worth the overclocking. If I had it a few months ago I woulda bought overclocking stuff for it, see just how far it would be pushed.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
1.65 is a definate max. thats .25v over stock, which is alot, as if anyone thought of giving a 130nm chip 1.75v, it would be mayhem.

I've done it...multiple times, and so have others. As long as you're doing proper stability testing and making sure your temps remain in check there isn't a great deal to worry about. Some specific CPU's/steppings do benefit from voltage more then others, and 1.65v isn't really that much to start with. Granted that MOST rev.E s939 chips don't usually benefit a lot from crossing 1.7v on air cooling, it can often be done under h2O or phase change when temps aren't as much of an issue, and the chip starts to scale a lot better.

cornelious0_0 said:
I've done it...multiple times, and so have others. As long as you're doing proper stability testing and making sure your temps remain in check there isn't a great deal to worry about. Some specific CPU's/steppings do benefit from voltage more then others, and 1.65v isn't really that much to start with. Granted that MOST rev.E s939 chips don't usually benefit a lot from crossing 1.7v on air cooling, it can often be done under h2O or phase change when temps aren't as much of an issue, and the chip starts to scale a lot better.

ive seen REALLY lackluster gains over 1.65v with nearly any chip. and if you peep over at XS for vcore on FX chips during 4ghz runs, they never break 1.8v, EVER. the max ive seen is like 1.86v and that was when team japan was going for a WR in spi.

watercooling doesnt really get gains with 1.7v, you also need to look at the lifespan shortening effects. i guess i just play it abit safer then most.

Perhaps some help from the crewe...

The previous owner of my Newark was able to achieve the nearly speed I'm at now (2650) at default Vcore. I need 1.6 to do that speed prime stable. It would do 2540 at default (1.35) for me.

It shoudn't be my cooling....I have good parts and ntune reports good numbers.
I have a quality PSU and my Voltages seem in line in bios (although hardware monitor and cpuZ seems to list Vcore a bit low...1.57).

He was using a nf3 Lanparty, and I an nf4 Infinity. Could the better power regulation make the difference?

I haven't pushed higher than 1.6V with this chip yet, since it was pricier than my old sempron.

(cf)Eclipse said:
that's a huge difference in power regulation if it is..

No $hit. :p

ive seen REALLY lackluster gains over 1.65v with nearly any chip. and if you peep over at XS for vcore on FX chips during 4ghz runs, they never break 1.8v, EVER. the max ive seen is like 1.86v and that was when team japan was going for a WR in spi.

watercooling doesnt really get gains with 1.7v, you also need to look at the lifespan shortening effects. i guess i just play it abit safer then most.

Agreed. I dont' like to go ape $hit with my hardware either...and for the most part I haven't had to.

What CPU heatsinks are you guys using on the DFI LanParty UT NF3 250GB? I currently have an XP-90 and the temps suck.

I had considered water cooling (I have a Storm and a Maze 4) but might sell them and use the money elsewhere.

CRXican said:
What CPU heatsinks are you guys using on the DFI LanParty UT NF3 250GB? I currently have an XP-90 and the temps suck.

I had considered water cooling (I have a Storm and a Maze 4) but might sell them and use the money elsewhere.
Go water cooling. Its fun. Im just getting my loop set up, and I did a trial run. Hooked everything up outside of the case. I had a bad mount tho... 40c idle... I tried some "quick" overclocking. Increasing the voltage to 1.75(NO change it temps) made it windows stable up to 2.9(NOT prime95 stable!). I plan to give mine 1.8+ volts to maybe get 3ghz stable.

BTW: I have the same cpu as you and water block.

L1ght said:
Increasing the voltage to 1.75(NO change it temps) made it windows stable up to 2.9(NOT prime95 stable!). I plan to give mine 1.8+ volts to maybe get 3ghz stable.

Just watch yourself and go slow, it's been said many times...even on watercooling, you're not always going to see a lot of gains by going much higher then 1.75v, not to say you can't try, but just don't get your hopes up.

L1ght said:
Go water cooling. Its fun. Im just getting my loop set up, and I did a trial run. Hooked everything up outside of the case. I had a bad mount tho... 40c idle... I tried some "quick" overclocking. Increasing the voltage to 1.75(NO change it temps) made it windows stable up to 2.9(NOT prime95 stable!). I plan to give mine 1.8+ volts to maybe get 3ghz stable.

BTW: I have the same cpu as you and water block.
I'm still thinking about it. I might just go CPU to start off. I have the Maze 4 but I don't want to injure my 6800GT and the bottom of the block has an ugly scratch (likely won't hurt a thing but I'm very picky).

Bona Fide said:
Scythe Ninja + Yate Loon > Zalman CNPS9500 for about the same price.

or way cheaper. the Zalman CNPS9500 costs like 60 bucks. the Ninja costs 35 and a YateLoon costs 10 max. ive seen em for 5.

and he doesnt like the Ninja, so the Zalman is a better choice for him. we can have opinions, when someone tries to take it away is when the shit hits the fan, as it has before.

Bona, not saying your trying to take his opinion away, just so we get that outta the way now. :)

My last case came with an Iron Cross window, I don't want nother Iron Cross in this case :)

Oh, and I don't have a case window either.

Yes, I'm picky on certain things.

Either way, I'm waiting for the VF900 before I buy any cooling products.

For the money and performance, a Scythe Ninja is where it's at. Period. My friend has a 115CFM Panaflo on his socket 754 3000+, and even though she makes some noise, it's a beefy sunuvabitch, and temps are crazy low.

Full Folding Ahead!

I just recently made my computer much quieter, and the temperatures are basically the same, it's great, I will continue to keep my computers quiet.

I got used to noise :p . I can be in a room full of servers and I wont go nuts lol. Just enough exposure to it :)

Back