Love your socket 754?

Looks like with the latest beta bios from Asus for the K8N4-E Deluxe it fully supports all Mobile (Turion) processor and sempron, but I don't see it specifically note mobile sempron. I bet it would boot.

The problem is the only good cooling solution I have is an aerocool GT-1000 which ways a metric a$$load and I would be afraid it would hurt any lidless CPU. Not to mention, $100 is a lot to drop just for a fun overclocking experiment. If it was $40-50 I would try it, no doubt!

ep1taph said:
Looks like with the latest beta bios from Asus for the K8N4-E Deluxe it fully supports all Mobile (Turion) processor and sempron, but I don't see it specifically note mobile sempron. I bet it would boot.

The problem is the only good cooling solution I have is an aerocool GT-1000 which ways a metric a$$load and I would be afraid it would hurt any lidless CPU. Not to mention, $100 is a lot to drop just for a fun overclocking experiment. If it was $40-50 I would try it, no doubt!

Yeah - no doubt as I have a spare K8N4-E Deluxe just laying around doing nothing atm. That would be a good mobo for that cpu as it tops out at only 1.55v vcore with the latest beta bios (I tried 'em all). My hsf also weighs a ton (750+/- grams) so I'd need a much lighter unit as well. I wonder how well the stock unit from my 3000+ Venice would perform? Hmmm..

As for the DFI Lanparty - yes, I'm sure it would work just fine as they are capable of supporting just about any s754 cpu.

Did you ever replace the crap-ass NB HSF on that K8N4-E DLX, BigMacAttack?

The thing was a pain since day one, started getting worse then it finally went down into huge system instability. Got one of those Zalman coolers mentioned a little ways up and things have been really smooth sailing ever since. Only hardware problems I have had were related to my Audigy2 ZS and those have been solved.

I use a 3400+ NewCastle at stock, would any of the Turions or mobile processors be an "upgrade"? A lot of them can be found really cheap pulled from laptops, and I have an Arctic Cooling Alpine64 which uses screws so you can adjust how force is applied. Might work on a lidless decently.

I canned the K8N4-E Deluxe in favor of my Abit NV8. Both still use the stock chipset fans that came with them. I haven't had any problems so far (knock wood). It would probably be a good idea on my part to get the Zalman chipset cooler but I guess I'm just too lazy :)
In speaking with an AMD tech rep a while back she told me she was using a mobile 3700 (1mb L2, 90nm SOI) on a DFI Lanparty board and that it was running really well. I would suspect a mobile cpu with 256 or 512 kb of L2 cache clocked up a good bit would be an improvement over a stock Newcastle, especially if you could get up into the 2.7 ghz range or beyond.

Yeah, I have seen a lot of 1mb L2 Turion's running around, some 2.0-2.2GHz stock. If the right deal on one came about I'd give it a go just for fun. This NewCastle must be one of the worst overclocking CPU's ever. Even my friends 3200+ NewCastle can hit a higher speed than mine, and he has a Gigabyte K8NS where only one memory slot works properly.

Also, I have two sticks of Corsair XMS, each are 1Gb. Will the Turions respond better to 1 stick than 2? I don't know if it's just a revision/core issue (or memory controller?)

Thanks for the response. I'm getting bored and haven't changed anything in my PC for what feels like ages... I just don't find many new games exciting and I have no real reason to upgrade. On the CPU side, I could always use more compressing/extracting/encoding power!

Hey guys, what's up! I'm here for some advice again, I hope you can help. I'm trying to overclock the 3700 Clawhammer I have, this time with better cooling in both the case and HSF. I've got lots of airflow and an Artic Cooling Freezer 64 strapped on.
imag0114uw0.jpg

Here is the hardware:
Biostar T-Force 6100
3700 Clawhammer
Team Xtreem PC-4000 2x512 BH5

Here are the current settings:
Voltages: Mem- 2.8 CPU-1.5
Timings: 2-2-2-6 2T
CPU Multi-12
HTFreq-4x
CPUFreq-210
Memclock-200

Now with the memory at 2.7 and CPUFreq at 208 it Primed fine for 5 hours. I upped the stakes a little to 2.8 mem and 210 CPU and it went for 40 minutes. 208 is 2.5GHz and from what I can tell stable. I'd like to try to get to 2.6GHz, but I'm not quite sure where to go next. My guess is to loosen timings, but I'm not sure. Any advice?

add more volts to both ram or memory. and tighten ram to 2-2-2-5-1t. 2t is killing you man.

1.7v on air is fine with a clawhammer if the arctic freezer can do it. the ram can go to like 3.2v without breaking a sweat either.

Well, I think the board can only do 2.8V for RAM. I started at 2-2-2-5 but got nowhere. As I loosen them I Prime longer, and can up the clock. I'm considering going 2-3-3-6 and seeing how far I can get.

Gibby82 said:
Well, I think the board can only do 2.8V for RAM. I started at 2-2-2-5 but got nowhere. As I loosen them I Prime longer, and can up the clock. I'm considering going 2-3-3-6 and seeing how far I can get.
If all else fails you can drop down to value RAM spec, 3-3-3-8 @ 2t; it's not like timings have much of an impact on Athlon 64 systems, and you can componsate for the small latancy hit by upping the RAM clock.

On the contrary - timings make a big diff on A64 systems from everything I have read. The tighter you can keep the timings the better. I know my current ram settings run much better than looser timings according to Superpi. 2-3-3-6 1T is a good timing setup and should be faster than 3-3-3-8 1T and especially 2T.

As for the 3700+ Clawhammer, I read an article comparing the 3700+ Claw to the 3400+ Claw a long time ago when they were first introduced and it was shocking, really. The 3400+ Claw actually outperformed the 3700+ Claw in a number of benchmarks. The 3700+ Claw was also found to be a relatively poor oc'er. I have both 3400+ and 3700+ Clawhammers and never have gotten better than a 10% oc from either one of them in my K8V (VIA chipset - ugh!), Asus K8N4-E Deluxe or Abit NV8 NF4 mobos. According to the article that is about all they could get from it, too. I'd say don't expect too much of an oc from the 3700+ Clawhammer. The 130nm architecture seems to be a real hinderance for these chips due to the relatively high (1.5v) initial vcore. Start jacking up the voltage and the heat starts building rapidly - even with a good hsf (see sig). To give the Clawhammers any kind of real voltage bump you need water cooling to keep temps under control - at least from what I have seen with mine. My Venices (3000+, 3200+ and 3400+) all have oc'd better than my Claws ever did. My work system is a 3700+ Clawhammer in the aforementioned Asus K8V mobo and the best it can do is 215x12 (2.58) which is pathetic when compared to my 3400+ Venice (sig system) at home.

ep1taph said:
Yeah, I have seen a lot of 1mb L2 Turion's running around, some 2.0-2.2GHz stock. If the right deal on one came about I'd give it a go just for fun. This NewCastle must be one of the worst overclocking CPU's ever. Even my friends 3200+ NewCastle can hit a higher speed than mine, and he has a Gigabyte K8NS where only one memory slot works properly.

Also, I have two sticks of Corsair XMS, each are 1Gb. Will the Turions respond better to 1 stick than 2? I don't know if it's just a revision/core issue (or memory controller?)

Thanks for the response. I'm getting bored and haven't changed anything in my PC for what feels like ages... I just don't find many new games exciting and I have no real reason to upgrade. On the CPU side, I could always use more compressing/extracting/encoding power!

I don't know how the Turions respond to the amount of ram you use. Never heard anything about that. (cf)Eclipse would probably be the one to ask about that.

I haven't changed a thing since I got my 3400+ Venice either. I've thought about it but its running so good right now I hate to think of messing around with it. About the only thing I would like to do is upgrade from the X800Pro PCI-E video card but since its a VIVO card I ought to just bios flash it on up to X800XT/PE levels and see what happens. It might help out a bit, but then I'm thinking I'd need a new VGA cooler so I jsut leave well enough alone. :)

BigMacAttack said:
On the contrary - timings make a big diff on A64 systems from everything I have read. The tighter you can keep the timings the better. I know my current ram settings run much better than looser timings according to Superpi. 2-3-3-6 1T is a good timing setup and should be faster than 3-3-3-8 1T and especially 2T.

As for the 3700+ Clawhammer, I read an article comparing the 3700+ Claw to the 3400+ Claw a long time ago when they were first introduced and it was shocking, really. The 3400+ Claw actually outperformed the 3700+ Claw in a number of benchmarks. The 3700+ Claw was also found to be a relatively poor oc'er. I have both 3400+ and 3700+ Clawhammers and never have gotten better than a 10% oc from either one of them in my K8V (VIA chipset - ugh!), Asus K8N4-E Deluxe or Abit NV8 NF4 mobos. According to the article that is about all they could get from it, too. I'd say don't expect too much of an oc from the 3700+ Clawhammer. The 130nm architecture seems to be a real hinderance for these chips due to the relatively high (1.5v) initial vcore. Start jacking up the voltage and the heat starts building rapidly - even with a good hsf (see sig). To give the Clawhammers any kind of real voltage bump you need water cooling to keep temps under control - at least from what I have seen with mine. My Venices (3000+, 3200+ and 3400+) all have oc'd better than my Claws ever did. My work system is a 3700+ Clawhammer in the aforementioned Asus K8V mobo and the best it can do is 215x12 (2.58) which is pathetic when compared to my 3400+ Venice (sig system) at home.

So should I just bring it back down to to 200, tighten timings to 2-2-2-5 and leave it there? I had it somewhat stable at 2-2-2-6/208, but is it worth it? Also, I think I've tried 1T before, and it wouldn't boot. I'm thinking I read somewhere 754 systems couldn't do 1T, but I could be completely wrong.

I just got my 22" Widescreen LCD (1680x1050) set up; man this thing is awesome for only $300!

*clears thought* erm, yes, well your probably wondering how this is relevant to the s754 thread…it just shows how CPU limited even a 7900GT is on a single core processor.

I just jumped from 1280x1024 to 1680x1050 and my framerate in most games have barely dropped at all, even Oblivion is running about the same at 1680x1050 as it was at 1280x1024 :eek:. What this means in layman’s terms is that a s754 Venice at 2.7GHz will choke off a 7900GT at any resolution under 1600x1200 (with max details turned on) for most games. Thankfully these chips have enough life leaft in them to keep games at acceptable framrates, but we arent going to be able to hold out on s754 much longer if we want to take advantage of cards like the 8800GTS

So should I just bring it back down to to 200, tighten timings to 2-2-2-5 and leave it there? I had it somewhat stable at 2-2-2-6/208, but is it worth it? Also, I think I've tried 1T before, and it wouldn't boot. I'm thinking I read somewhere 754 systems couldn't do 1T, but I could be completely wrong.

You'd be better off trying to find the balance between tight timings and cpu frequency. The way to approach it is too loosen the ram timings way up and concentrate on finding the highest oc of your cpu. Then back way off the cpu and use memtest to find your highest ram speed. Once you know the highest ram speed you can adjust your cpu frequency and ram (using dividers of course) to try to hit a sweet spot where both your ram and cpu are as maximized as possible.

As for the 1T issue - you are definitely wrong. Look at my sig. I'm running high cpu frequency and tight ram timings at 1T. It all really depends on the quality of your ram and the capabilities of your cpu's memory controller. 1T is no problem on s754 setups if you have the right parts.

One of my coworkers had an old XFX 6800gt lying around so he gave it to me. Voltmodded and stuck a vf700 on it before it even went in my box. Huge upgrade from my 9600pro and should hold me over until I finally decide to do a full upgrade.

Amazing how well these "budget" chips run. :cool:

^^Nice!^^
I like free stuff, especially when it gives a good performance boost! Has he got say a X800XT/PE lying around doing nothing? :D

EDIT:
Man, I just saw the OEM 3000+ Venice at Newegg for $57.99 + if you want to make it a combo deal you can get a Biostar NF3 mobo with it for a total of around $88. And to think I paid $155 for mine in Jan of this year! I guess I'm going to have to do something with it since my 3400+ Venice replaced it.

Think it is worth getting a 3000+ venice if I already have a clawhammer 3400+ 1mb at 2.5ghz? Btw I have watercooling so I can watercool the Venice... what OC could I expect 2.8ghz?

nullzero said:
Think it is worth getting a 3000+ venice if I already have a clawhammer 3400+ 1mb at 2.5ghz? Btw I have watercooling so I can watercool the Venice... what OC could I expect 2.8ghz?

I bet you can reach 2.8 with watercooling so it's up to you to judge if it is worth the expense to get a 300 MHz improvement ? However, it's really cheap now and venices has a better memory controller so it's not a negligeable factor.

I'm running my 3400+ at 250x11 on air so a good water cooled setup should do well. Its hard to say just what oc you'll get. My 3000+ hit 268x10 but I got another one (traded my 3200+ Venice and cash for it) that would only do 2.5 on air in the other guys mobo. I haven't tested it yet to see just what it will do. Most of the s754 Venices (3000+, 3200+, 3400+) will do close to or a little better than 2.7 on good air cooling so I would hope they'd do better on liquid cooling. I've been tempted but I'm not sure the extra expense would be worth it given my present level of performance.
As to whether its worth it or not - its difficult to say. It won't make a mind bending difference but I did see increases in performance in 3DMark03 (higher frame rates in CPU tests) than my old 3400+ and 3700+ Clawhammers. It seems a bit snappier to me - and for just under $60 its not a bad deal even if it doesn't turn out to be much faster. I look at it like this - I've got 3 spare cpu's to fall back on (3400+ Clawhammer and (2) 3000+ Venices) just in case my 3400+ Venice (home) or 3700+ Clawhammer (work) go up in smoke. It never hurts to have a backup.

Hard choice :p... I would love to see some PI scores of the venice OCed to over 2.5ghz so I could get an idea on the performance difference compared to my current CPU.

*update*

Just looked back and saw 2.8ghz venice getting Super PI score of 32secs... humm tempting from a 37sec score. Close to a 20% increase in performance and I could have the chance to hit 3ghz and maybe get a super Pi of 31sec.

Hey guys, playing with a 1.6GHz Sempron now (extra computer). So far I'm at 1.78, having to use a memory divider however, only has some PC2700 in it. I just started last night though, and it seems like it will go forever. I've also decided to pull the Athlon 3000 Venice out of my server and put the 3700 Claw in it's place. I'll start OC'ing the 3000 tonight. I should get far with the RAM and HSF I have.

I had class tonight, so I got a late start. So far the 3000 Venice is at 218x10, with the memory voltage at 2.8v. Not sure if it needs the voltage just yet, but I'll leave it there since it's rated up to and above 3v. I've had to learn a bit more about my BIOS, I completely overlooked the MemClock setting in the past....rookie move on my part. :mad: But it's now set at 216, so we'll see how far that goes. Setting it at 233 garners a no post situation, I think I'll have to get closer to that speed before I can use it. We'll see. Temps on the proc are COOL. 77*F at idle, 95*F while running Blend Test Prime95. :) Gotta love that. (Not to mention that's with fresh AS5)

As for the Sempy, no progress on that as I've been busy with this one. I'll get to it when I tap this one out. Also, I may be receiving a free 939-3200 soon, so I may be selling the Sempron as it is the lowest of the lineup (3700-939, 3700-754, 3000-754, 2600-Semp). I'll keep you all posted.

Is it me, or do Palermo (Sempron) cores appear to be hitting higher clock speeds than Venice (Athlon) cores with less voltage? Is that the result of having half of their L2 Cache disabled?

I can't say anything about Sempron vs Athlon, although I think the disabled L2 allows for less heat, which always helps.

As for my Venice, I haven't touched the CPU voltage, just memory. Speaking of which 218x10 ran Prime for 7 hours without a hitch, so before I left for work I set it to 221(I think, could be 222) and started Prime again. I'm thinking due to the RAM maxing out at 250(from what I know) that I'll only get that far (250x10 or somewhere near there). Still idling in the 70's when I checked, and I don't think it's broken 100*F at load. So far this is going MUCH better than the Clawhammer, but then again with me being a dorkus and missing the MemClock thing, it may have gone better. Oh well, having fun either way! :)

Don't limit your oc to just 250 on the cpu frequency just because your ram tops out there - remember - you can run ram dividers which will allow a higher cpu frequency by slowing the ram down so that your ram can still runs at 250 while your cpu runs faster than that. Ram dividers are a wonderul thing and don't hinder your performance all that much. Fortunately I have the opposite situation. Since my ram is capable of running so fast I am using the DDR433 divider instead of the DDR400 divider - even at a cpu frequency of 250 on the 11 multi (250x11). This situation allows my cpu to run at 2.75 and my ram to run at 275 mhz - effectively giving me a 1:1 ratio.
In your situation you should reduce your ram speed by selecting the DDR333 divider, thus allowing your cpu to go beyond 250. By running the ram at DDR333 you should theoretically be able to run up near 300 on you cpu frequency, thus giving you 250mhz on your ram. (Some of you guys correct me if I'm wrong please. I believe DDR333 is 5:6 roughly, correct?).

BigMacAttack said:
Don't limit your oc to just 250 on the cpu frequency just because your ram tops out there - remember - you can run ram dividers which will allow a higher cpu frequency by slowing the ram down so that your ram can still runs at 250 while your cpu runs faster than that. Ram dividers are a wonderul thing and don't hinder your performance all that much. Fortunately I have the opposite situation. Since my ram is capable of running so fast I am using the DDR433 divider instead of the DDR400 divider - even at a cpu frequency of 250 on the 11 multi (250x11). This situation allows my cpu to run at 2.75 and my ram to run at 275 mhz - effectively giving me a 1:1 ratio.
In your situation you should reduce your ram speed by selecting the DDR333 divider, thus allowing your cpu to go beyond 250. By running the ram at DDR333 you should theoretically be able to run up near 300 on you cpu frequency, thus giving you 250mhz on your ram. (Some of you guys correct me if I'm wrong please. I believe DDR333 is 5:6 roughly, correct?).

Yes, DDR333 = 5:6 ratio ;)

This advice is very good and everyone should try a ram divider since the performance hit is less than 1-2%, which is unnoticeable beside a few benchmarks.

I may be able to go past 250, here is a link for the RAM I have. (DDR 500) http://www.teamgroup.com.tw/xtreem/overclocking/team-xtreem-zeus-series/
Provided I can deliver the voltage, which may be a problem. There is a jumper on the board to go about 3v, however I'm not sure if you have any options as to what voltage it is, or if it's just 3v period. Anyone have experience with the TForce 6100 in that respect?

The sticks came to me without heat spreaders however, so I'm contemplating buying some and installing them.

Meh - mine was average but I was only ever able to volt it up to 1.55 on my Asus K8N4-E Deluxe. I could go over 1.6v on my Asus K8V but the VIA chipset and lack of AGP lock really limited me. 2.4 was the best I ever got out of mine.

Gibby82 said:
221 X 10 9 hours stable (when I stopped it). Currently running 225. :D
It's going to take you a long time to overclock at that rate, I would have started at 220x10 at stock volts and gone from there in 10MHz jumps :p

Have you allready gone and found maximum clock speed your RAM can take by itself?

Unknown-One said:
It's going to take you a long time to overclock at that rate, I would have started at 220x10 at stock volts and gone from there in 10MHz jumps :p

Have you allready gone and found maximum clock speed your RAM can take by itself?

No need really, it's been up to 250 at least. I had lots of info from the previous owner. I'm not too worried about it. Last night it tripped up at 225-raised the voltage from 2.8v to 2.9v and ran Prime for 10 hours. I think my next few jumps may be sufficient at 2.9v, but after that I'll have to use the jumper, which defaults to 3.3v. The memory can take that, so I should be able to go to 250 x10 before I have to use a divider. I'm thinking if I use the same divider BigMacAttack uses I'll be able to push farther. At that point I'll be wondering about the PSU. It's an Antec TPII 430, and doesn't have much of a load on it (1 HD, 1 OPT, 1 7600GT, and the system). But I'm still curious as to how it will handle things. Guess we'll find out :)

I was wondering about taking it by bigger steps. I read a pretty comprehensive guide once that said 5MHz first, then 3MHz steps. I'm taking 4MHz steps, which seems ok so far.

It might take a little longer but if you have the time then there is no problem. :) Have you been upping the cpu voltage as well? At this point there may be no need but with my Venice 3000+ I had to start at 240x10.

BigMacAttack said:
It might take a little longer but if you have the time then there is no problem. :) Have you been upping the cpu voltage as well? At this point there may be no need but with my Venice 3000+ I had to start at 240x10.

No, I haven't had to yet. I'll have to say..this is going really smooth, and easy! :D

Back