Love your socket 754?

AM2 procs can clock very high depending on the core. My 3600 Brisbane has done a 600MHz clock (2.5 from 1.9) with no problems. There are reports/reviews of this chip going to 3Ghz. But 754 gives you performance on the cheap. You guys have got me interested in the Newark now. I'm off to go do some research.

*Looks like Newark is San Diego on the 754 package. What do you guys think?

Yeah - that was my impression when I first saw one, too. I've been tempted to try one but not sure if my Abit will support it. I've heard 3 ghz is possible with these babies. Its just the 3400+ Venices I've been running are cheaper and getting 2.7-2.8 so I just kinda let it slide.

I believe it is for the most part a Sandy spec-wise but to my understanding there is significant differences in the silicon that allow it to be lower watt. It might do it's 2.6 at a lower wattage than a Sandy and that maybe what allows it to turn up to 2.8 or 3.0 fairly easy.. lower power so less heat, more stable, yada yada.. I'll read up on that again. Should have mine up and running this Wed. I'll let ya know my layman's impression. Yes, my beloved Abit kv8pro spit it out like bad breath, sounds like they prefer nforce chips.

Of course.. AM2 is highly capable and will clock very well.. I was just relating that John Q. Public the non-oc Best-Buy/Circuit City shopper whome purchases an computer at lower clocks (2.0 Ghz) would actually get a lower bench sometimes on AM2 because of the higher memory latency. That was at intro of the platform and maybe big lot DDR2 has gotten tighter since then. Anything above 2.4 Ghz negates this.

Most DDR2 800 is 4-4-4-12 now I think. At least mine is. Of course the DDR2 900 Kingston RAM I have on my AM2 rig was a waste of money. Ended up have to run a divider big time.

http://www.tt-itbu.com/product/Embedded/CL-P0312/CL-P0312.htm

Just finished a round of Sharki 64(BF2) with the newly booted Turion. Ramped her up to 2.8 without a hiccup and that's with 1.40V It might have pulled some more; POWERNOW! is new to me. Seemed to hold at 40-43C under load. I'm stoked.

The link is the little European only (tough to find stateside) Thermaltake cooler I found for this little unlidded beastie. Not very big or sexy but the proc runs low volts and cool. MSI K8mm-V needed bios to 1A to boot it but then it was smooth sailing. Got a lot of tweaking to do but the temps and volts look very promising.

Very nice! I'll be highly interested to see what you do because I have an MSI Neo3 nForce4 4X/PCI-e mobo just sitting in the box. If I can find a Newark for cheap I may just have to grab one and go to town.

Hmm, I have been wondering how those turions stack up, but I don't want to spend any more money on this platform (that last GB of RAM is it). I don't think I would throw one in unless I knew it was a guaranteed 2.8GHz and was in the $28 range.

Edit: ZipZoomFly actually has the 3700+ listed still, and there are 4000+'s on ebay for $180...

Yeah - I'd like to score a 4000+ but the price will have to come down to below $100 or it just isn't worth it since my 3400+ Venice will do mid 2.7's all day.

I'm watching a few 4000+'s on ebay...I know I'm probably going to get sniped, but you never know :p

Ok, got this baby a little more stretched out. Set the ram to 166 to take it out of the equation and ramped her up to 223 FSB for 2.901Ghz. Ran stable for BF2 and Systool's little cruncher. Pulled 1.48V and stayed right around 43-45C. PCI/AGP went from 33/66 to 37/74 and the HT link was 892. (This thing's multi is 13x; if you take it to 12x it goes to 2.4 at stock fsb)
Great potential! Decent board and HS/fan and who knows? (It never crashed on me, I just knew I was pushing the pci/agp and htt a little up there; I'll find the limit on this board this week)

The C2D convert I got this little gem from scored it off Ebay used for $85. I've seen em new for way too much. He was the only bidder. MSI sells a "MSI mobility pad" for 10 bucks that is essentially a lid that allows most K8 hs/fan combos to be used. Or you can source the wierd Themaltake soloution he gave me with it.

With a real board and (pci/agp locks or pcie-16) I could see tons more potential. as it is;2.8 or 2.9Ghz with 1g L2 cache aint bad either. I could see 3 easily with a better board. I play mostly BF2 which is a single thread app on SM2 so a monster 754 and a good X8XX series card kicks it well. Fun upgrade for me in grin factor alone.

Yeesh... AMD is doing a live webcast of the Barcelona release party. Server procs only I see. I have 4 754 procs. Hmm a little inspiration from Intel and some superglue could lead to my own VeniceNewarklawhammeralona. The decent desktops for Barcelona due out in December or when?

Exactly. Except for the fact that a 3700AEP5AP sounds more like a Clawhammer core (see this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rs#.22ClawHammer.22_.28C0_.26_CG.2C_130_nm.29). All the skt 754 Venice cpu's (3000, 3200, 3400) have a AIK or AI0 number. How odd. I know that AMD made some one-off stuff (3400+ for skt 939 for example) but I've never heard of this one - and never heard of a Venice with an AEP number. I'm not sure I'd trust this. bigdave - you'd be better off sticking to the known Venice variants (3000+, 3200+ or 3400+) than trying this one I think.

Meh, auction on that Newark came and went, too rich for my blood in the end. Hit $80 and I had the thought "that's half way to an AM2 system", which pretty much killed any and all chances of me buying it.

Am I excited about the new cpu's? Not really, strange as it sounds I'm most stoked about a new build consisting of a Sempron 2800+
Palermo & Chaintech VNF3-250. So far 2.30 ghz (700 mhz OC) stock voltage!

I'm with you. I just popped a 3400+ Venice into a spare 3000+ Venice system (ECS nForce4/PCI-e mobo, 2x512 Crucial Ballistix DDR400, Maxtor ATA100 200gb hdd, Ultra case and psu, stock hsf and a Sapphire X1550 vid. card) and got it up to 2.76 (230x12) @ 1.586v today. This from a 3400+ Venice that wouldn't go beyond 2.706 here in my home system. Needless to say I'm quite pleased! :D

That's a nice oc on stock voltage arcturus! :eek::D Now give 'er some juice if you can and let's see what she'll really do!

I just built my first s754 system in a while. I grabbed one of those ECS/3200+ combos at Newegg and slapped it into a mATX case along with an old 120GB HDD and 2x512mb RAM. Works great with WinXP for an Internet surfing machine.

A stick of my Platinum died this morning.:eek: Sudden blue screen "invalid page fault" then 47,xxx errors in Test #5 on the first pass. Ran some more tests all day combining the remaining stick with a stick of my Ballistix (for 1.5gig and 2-3-2-6). Hmm now I noticed my sig might be wrong because it should have been 2-3-2-5 earlier not 2-2-3-5.

A stick of my Platinum died this morning.:eek: Sudden blue screen "invalid page fault" then 47,xxx errors in Test #5 on the first pass. Ran some more tests all day combining the remaining stick with a stick of my Ballistix (for 1.5gig and 2-3-2-6). Hmm now I noticed my sig might be wrong because it should have been 2-3-2-5 earlier not 2-2-3-5.

Well that's too bad. How long have you had the sticks? I've never had experience with OCZ for RMA purposes. I hope it's a quick turnaround for ya. ;)

Purchased on the 2nd of January this year. I'm filling it out now. I know RMA through Crucial last year was surprisingly painless I hope Ocz is as good about it too.

Purchased on the 2nd of January this year. I'm filling it out now. I know RMA through Crucial last year was surprisingly painless I hope Ocz is as good about it too.

OCZ replaced my sticks, after i built a whole entire second machine and they still did not work lol. They tried to tell me the memory was not gauranteed to work on NF2 MB's which was compleat BS so I had to build a new computer only to find out why it did not work was because the memory was bad. RMA'ed the sticks and put them back in the NF2 motherboard and it worked fine. Bought something else for the new PC.

This was over 2 years ago....

So I filled out the form on Ocz and it sent me an email with a "Trouble Ticket" number and link to comment on my trouble ticket but I don't see anything there when I sign in...just a place I can leave a comment?:confused:

It's been quite some time since I posted here.

I finally moved on from my S754 based computer. I sure will miss it. Probably the best money I spent on a PC for a long time.

I went from:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (NewCastle)
Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
2x1 GB DDR-400 Corsair XMS
Nvidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB

to the following:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
2x1 GB DDR2-800 Wintec ampx
Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

theyarrived.jpg

I was planning on waiting until the weekend to put it together but I stayed up late last night to assemble it. Put it all inside a Lian-Li PC-7B and it's been solid so far. No problems with assembly, everything works fine out of the box.

Haven't decided what to do with my extra machine. I gutted the dvd combo drive, hard disks, power supply and sound card to use in the new build. I may use it as a normal development machine so I won't be completely devoid of S754.

Felt good to be working with hardware again... felt that rush only a true hardware geek can feel when I opened up the boxes.

I'm working on an upgrade to a C2D. Got a sweet Centurion case for $30 shipped, friend has a spare C2D motherboard he's gonna give me (the result of a bunch of hardware RMAs, long story). Will scrape up some DDR2 on the cheap sometime this fall/winter and probably upgrade after the school semester is done, and baby is a little older. Maybe January.

Prob get the CPU then. I never spend more than $150 on a CPU.

It's been quite some time since I posted here.

I finally moved on from my S754 based computer. I sure will miss it. Probably the best money I spent on a PC for a long time.

I went from:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (NewCastle)
Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
2x1 GB DDR-400 Corsair XMS
Nvidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB

to the following:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
2x1 GB DDR2-800 Wintec ampx
Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

How do you find the new machine? Big difference from the 754?

Honestly, the jump in processing power was huge. The time it takes me to render video from Premiere has changed dramatically. My extraction time for compressed files (such as winrar files) is one of the biggest changes I notice out of an intensive application.

The video card tears through games, and considering my max resolution is 1280x1024 I don't have difficulty maxing details with decent levels of AA/AF. I have yet to buy Bioshock and play it, been too busy.

Single core to multiple cores made a significant difference. Higher clock speed combined with more efficient cycles also. Doing stuff in the basic operating system didn't change much, but for any intensive application (rendering, gaming, compression and extraction) the change is amazing.

I'm happy with my purchase, and I look forward mostly to some UT3 when it comes out -- if I have the free time.

OH! Just in case you were looking at similar components: The DS3L is a perfectly capable motherboard for a fine price. I have had zero issues and it is still friendly for some overclocking action if you so desire. For the price it's one of the best purchases you can make if you're a simple user who wants a very solid and stable motherboard.

Anyone want to part with their s754 cpu?, I guys i want back into the 754 club.. anyone have a cpu? 3400 or 3700 ?

There are all kinds of them on ebay. I've had good success there. Don't waste you $$$ on a Clawhammer, though, as skt 754 3000+ and 3200+ Venices are readily available for much less and they easily outpace the older Clawhammers. Maybe you can get lucky and find a 3400+ Venice. They show up from time to time. If not, the 3200+ is almost as good and some 3000+ Venices can hit 2.7, too. I have 2 3000+'s - one that will do 2.6 and another that will do 2.7. They aren't for sale, though. I've seen a lot of skt 754 Venices on ebay lately for around $40-$50 including shipping. You can't beat the price for the power.

There are all kinds of them on ebay. I've had good success there. Don't waste you $$$ on a Clawhammer, though, as skt 754 3000+ and 3200+ Venices are readily available for much less and they easily outpace the older Clawhammers. Maybe you can get lucky and find a 3400+ Venice. They show up from time to time. If not, the 3200+ is almost as good and some 3000+ Venices can hit 2.7, too. I have 2 3000+'s - one that will do 2.6 and another that will do 2.7. They aren't for sale, though. I've seen a lot of skt 754 Venices on ebay lately for around $40-$50 including shipping. You can't beat the price for the power.

I've got my 3rd pc that is a 754, but you call that power for $50'ish? Heh, a bottom end c2d is around $80 and performs leaps and bounds ahead of that $50!

I've got my 3rd pc that is a 754, but you call that power for $50'ish? Heh, a bottom end c2d is around $80 and performs leaps and bounds ahead of that $50!
Ok.

Now add in a good Intel based OC board, RAM, and heatsink.

Now do the same for a 754 system.

I'd put money on the 754 system being cheaper.

He's right, you can get an AMD motherboard for socket 754 that overclocks like a beast for $60...the cheapest intel motherboard that I consider equivalent in features is $120. Adding RAM into the equation evens it out a little because DDR2 is cheaper right now, so lets say $80 for 1GB of DDR2 or $60 for 1GB of DDR1.

That makes the s754 system 50+60+80 = $190
And the intel system 80+120+60 = $260

Yes, rough estimates, but it paints a pretty clear picture. Intel motherboards have been more expensive for a long time, and its due to the fact that they don't have an IMC like AMD does (ergo, the intel boards are more complex and expensive to produce).

ah-ah-ah, you're forgetting, most people already have a shit-ton of DDR1 on hand, so the difference is more like $130 ;)

There's no question the C2D is more powerful, but the guy asking the question wasn't asking about C2D now was he? He asked about a good skt 754 cpu and for the money ($40 or so) you can't beat a skt 754 Venice cpu, especially if you already have a skt 754 system and just want to upgrade the cpu. So which is better - $40 for just a cpu or $280 for a new system (or more if you need to go to PCI-e graphics)? It all then depends on your budget constraints.
As for the mobo - heck, I bought a slightly used ECS w/PCI-e graphics and an nForce4 chipset for $25 off ebay and it clocks my other 3400+ Venice to 2.7 - 2.75. Plus I got my Crucial Ballistix (2x512) for $50 after rebate (try that with DDR2) along with a basic Sapphire X1550 PCI-e video card for $40 after rebate. The most expensive thing I bought was the case and psu! Its a great spare box at work for music/movies and print server and can double as a spare cadd system. It runs HL, HL2 and FEAR reasonably well, too.
If you want a really good system go for the C2D, but if you want to build a basic box with decent power (for HTPC for example) for dirt cheap the skt 754 Venice is a good way to go. I'm still on skt 754 mainly because it meets my needs atm and I'm not one to waste $$$ on the latest, greatest thing just because its available. As long as I can do my thing with what I've got why waste the money?
Debating the advantages of C2D in here is pretty much a waste of time anyhow. Yes, we know its superior - it darn well better be! But this is the "Love Your Socket 754?" thread - not the "Love your Intel C2D?" thread. While I respect the Intel setup I'm not presently interested in it.

Back