Low -12v

ClearM4

2[H]4U
My Antec Earthwatts 430w -12v reads -7.87v. What is the -12v rail used for? Should I RMA this PSU? Other voltages seem stable: +12.10v, +4.87v, +3.22v, -4.67v

PC Specs:
Intel E7200 @ 3.04GHZ (9.5x320, 4:5 memory ratio)
Biostar TP35D2-7A P35 Mobo
4x1GB Crucial Ballistics (all 4 sticks running @ 800mhz cas 4,4,4,12 @ 2.0v)
ATI x1950pro

If it's just software reporting it, don't worry. As long as your computer is running, your voltages are fine.

BIOS reading voltage = FAIL.

-12V in an ATX PSU uses a simple circuit that changes the potential of the +12V output to -12V. When there's is no load on the -12V, and there isn't in 99.9% of the PC's out there, the voltage tends to be VERY low.

Simple facts:

1. As mavalpha said, BIOS readings are always wrong anyway.

2. -12V isn't used in most modern computers. If you were looking at the voltages in the BIOS for a reason, post the problem you're experiencing and we'll go that route. ;)

3. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Well, I am messing around with overclocking and I seem to get a stable overclock (runs prime for 24 hours with no errors) only to start getting system crashes a week later. Once I adjust settings a little it works fine for another week.

Time to visit the overclocking forums I guess because it sound like the PSU is not my issue. At first I though I just needed to lower my overclock (@ 3.6ghz initially), but i think its a mobo voltage settings are giving me the issues now. Need to read about what settings to play with. memtest and prime95 run 24hours fine, but a week later they don't.

Voltages are steady and temps are good.

Back