Low Cost 5.1 set (or 6.1 or 7.1)

Okay I really dont want to shell out $300+ for speakers but I might have to bite the bullet and do it.

What I want are a nice set of 5.1's that dont hiss, are somewhat loud and still hold clarity, and sound great. Whats great in my book, well I'm no audiophile, I listen to all types of music and do enjoy some bass but dont want that crappy "too-much-power-to-the-six-inch-sub" sound.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. And what I really want are some straight forward user reviews.

Thanks///

I didn't really look into cheaper 5.1s but you should take a look at the GMX's... I heard they're good for the price. You can find the Z-680s for 250 or even less too. Dunno about anything else. If you can afford the 250 I say go for the Z-680s since they're great speakers. I have the Klipsch Promedia Ultras but I got a deal at Best Buy on them. Would have been happy with either set to tell you the truth.

ninethreeeleven- if you're looking to get some z-680s, LMK. I have a set I'm letting go (new apartment neighbors are too sesitive to the noise) and I am going back to a good pair of headphones.

Looking for $200 and shipping, or we can negotiate. LMK.

You can get refurb GMX 5.1s direct from Klipsch for $99 + shipping, or new for $149 with payments over 6 months on your credit card.

Summoner said:
You can get refurb GMX 5.1s direct from Klipsch for $99 + shipping, or new for $149 with payments over 6 months on your credit card.
NO NO NO
these speakers DONT have a headphone jack and they DONT have analog inputs. these are only for xbox or playstation2. there is no way to get 5.1 sound from pc games with these speakers!

brent4president said:
NO NO NO
these speakers DONT have a headphone jack and they DONT have analog inputs. these are only for xbox or playstation2. there is no way to get 5.1 sound from pc games with these speakers!

Actually there is if you buy the right cables :) Also, he mentions music, not games.

Summoner said:
Actually there is if you buy the right cables :) Also, he mentions music, not games.
it doesnt matter what cables you buy there is no soundcard that will encode to dolby digital. (the nForce2 will, but that's it)

Sorry for the confusion...

I will mostly be using them for gaming, then music, then blasting pr0n sounds cause thats just funny.

Anyway, they will be hooked up to the onboard audio (MSI K8N Neo Platinum) until I get more money. I will want to be able to use headphones as well, even if that means I have to plug them into the speakers or the mobo it self, that doesn't bother me. But I will want it to be somewhat manageable and easy to acess.

I really dont need 500 watts since they will never go up to that level. The ones I have in front of me are about 20 watts each and they get as laoud as I want but lose their clarity at that level. So they will have to be able to run probably 30-40 watts RMS, plus the sub.

ninethreeeleven said:
Sorry for the confusion...

I will mostly be using them for gaming, then music, then blasting pr0n sounds cause thats just funny.

Anyway, they will be hooked up to the onboard audio (MSI K8N Neo Platinum) until I get more money. I will want to be able to use headphones as well, even if that means I have to plug them into the speakers or the mobo it self, that doesn't bother me. But I will want it to be somewhat manageable and easy to acess.

I really dont need 500 watts since they will never go up to that level. The ones I have in front of me are about 20 watts each and they get as laoud as I want but lose their clarity at that level. So they will have to be able to run probably 30-40 watts RMS, plus the sub.

i'll state the obvious...
klipsch for quality (very expensive but VERY high quality)
logitech or creative for value (cheap prices)
logitech for the additional built in decoder (very useful for xbox and ps2)

if i were you i would go with the low price logitech. most people (99.99999%) are very pleased with the quality:price ratio.
so go to www.newegg.com and look around :p

brent4president said:
it doesnt matter what cables you buy there is no soundcard that will encode to dolby digital. (the nForce2 will, but that's it)

you use the analog outs on the audigy to connect to a G9 to RCA cable. G9 goes into the back of the sub and you control the volume via your keyboard/windows.

Summoner said:
you use the analog outs on the audigy to connect to a G9 to RCA cable. G9 goes into the back of the sub and you control the volume via your keyboard/windows.
learn something new every day

ReubenRosa said:
2 sets of logitechs are really nice.

There is the 79.99 brand new 5.1 set no thx support.

And their is the brand new 199 set z-5300E
thx supporting set.

IF you want to spend less then 100 the new
logitechs are awesome.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2,CONTENTID=9067

WE got these at work and they just rock.
I mean seriously they sound awesome and for the price they can't be beat.

THX isnt a sound format therefore there is no "support" for it. THX is a certification, but for multimedia speakers its more of a marketing tool.

Back