Low Cost IPS (16:9) Recommendations?

siluro

Limp Gawd
Pretty much as the title says it...

I'm looking for a new, low cost IPS screen, I'd like to preferably have 24"+

I'm also only wanting something that will be 16:9 and not 16:10 like many people on here want. It will be used primarily for gaming, but of course I'd like reasonable colors and all that other nice things IPS has to offer, so what are my options, what would you recommend?

That's disappointing, well in that case, for the 23" screens, what would be the best? Mainly gaming use.

(Bonus point for a like of the top 3 in order of best to 3rd best)

Asus ML239H Review is the only 23" without the excessive AG coating which makes whites+light colors look grainy/dirty and dulled, making it the only recommendable 23" IPS. Only buy from a retailer with a good return policy due to tinting+backlight bleeding issues.

For console gaming though I would just stick with TN and avoid the IPS glow+tinting.

Just got 3 of the Dell u2311h's. Great monitors so far and wonderful picture quality.

To NCX- I'm not actually console gaming, but rather PC gaming.

Now between the Asus ML239, and the Dell U2311, which do people think would be the better choice when it comes to gaming, and as for the larger sized monitors (even if it's 16:10, no more than $500), would I possibly get a better panel for gaming in terms of input lag / ghosting, as well as having good colors?

I would get the Asus due to the lack of aggressive AG coating if you want whites+light colors to look like they are supposed to rather than grainy+dirty. Neither display has any input lag (ignore the TFT central input lag measurements, PRAD measures properly) and both are quite fast.

Is there any proof whatsoever that the Asus has lighter coating? I see this mentioned so often but it seems strange to me that Asus IPS monitors would have different coating than everyone else. I believe it is LG who apply the actual coating at the factory rather than Asus, Dell or whoever assembles monitors for them?

I'd rather get the U2311h personally, most people are fine with even the "aggressive" coating anyway.

Is there any proof whatsoever that the Asus has lighter coating? I see this mentioned so often but it seems strange to me that Asus IPS monitors would have different coating than everyone else. I believe it is LG who apply the actual coating at the factory rather than Asus, Dell or whoever assembles monitors for them?

I'd rather get the U2311h personally, most people are fine with even the "aggressive" coating anyway.

At least it uses a different panel revision of the 23" so the possibility DOES exist.

It definitely can't be beat for the price.

At least it uses a different panel revision of the 23" so the possibility DOES exist.
Is it the only IPS monitor to use that panel though? I know not all LG panels have the same coating so it could possibly be different compared to the U2311H but I was more getting at how it is "the only recomendable 23" IPS". Similar how the PA246Q is often said to have the least harsh AG coating of all 24" IPS monitors which is again very strange considering Asus are not the ones who apply the coating. Unless LG supply different panels specifically for Asus which doesn't seem very likely.

Is it the only IPS monitor to use that panel though? I know not all LG panels have the same coating so it could possibly be different compared to the U2311H but I was more getting at how it is "the only recomendable 23" IPS". Similar how the PA246Q is often said to have the least harsh AG coating of all 24" IPS monitors which is again very strange considering Asus are not the ones who apply the coating. Unless LG supply different panels specifically for Asus which doesn't seem very likely.

I have a feeling that the Asus and NEC's EA232WMi may use the same panel, 23" eIPS with white-LED backlighting, so AG should be the same.

Just checked it on TFTCentral and they both are listed to have LM230WF3-SLB1 as the panel, so I'd assume they have the same level of AG coating, taking panel-to-panel differences into account.

In terms of the Asus PA246Q versus the U2410 though, I'd assume, since their electronics and specs are identical, that they would have the same panel so any AG difference would, again, be panel-to-panel differences. Funny how the Dell's AG coating is vilified versus the Asus' coating which is not. Without having two panels side-to-side though, I generally feel the AG coating would have to be very different in application to be very visible to most people.

I guess that means the EA232WMi is another "recommendable" panel in terms of AG coating then?

Back