Low Expectations Quote of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
What does Windows Phone 7 have going for it? Well, according to this lady, it’s the fact that no one is expecting much from it. Somebody just got crossed of Ballmer’s Christmas card list. :eek:

One thing the new Microsoft Windows Phone 7 has going for it is that no one's expecting much. The company's last mobile operating system was clunky, antiquated, and subsequently retired.

Well, it's kind of true. I mean, copy/paste, not really that important to me, but no multitasking? There's no way I'd give up my Pre for a WP7. Even Apple who seems to take pride at not having features on their phones finally gave in and did some form of multitasking.

Then you have the people who keep saying things like 'Apple did just fine without multitasking when they launched their phone some 4 years ago' as if Microsoft is competing against the iphone of 4 years ago. It's like saying 'AT&T has nothing to worry about, Comcast did just fine with 6Mbps a few years ago so why should AT&T spend any money to go faster than that.' You compete against what's out NOW, not what was years ago.

After the abysmal failure of kin, I can't say I have high expectations either.

Android is where it's at.

I was really looking forward to getting a win7 phone and waited until the announcements yesterday to make up my mind, but after seeing it had

no microsd support
no turn by turn navigation
no multitasking

I went an purchased a new android device, which should be here sometime this week.

WP7 is about 3 years late and many dollars short.

They have positively no hope of competing. Android and iOS are both leaps and bounds ahead of WP7 in features and interface refinement. The only thing going for WP7 is that the kindergartner-grade development tools available for it will be usable by all the VB script kiddies our public schools are churning out, but the device's market share is going to be so abysmally small that no one is going to write software they can't sell.

(Inb4 hearltessum starts white knighting for Microsoft.)

I can only see Microsoft fanboys buying this thing, given the alternatives.

I'm not buying a new phone until I can hold an HTC WP7 keyboard slider next to an HTC Android keyboard slider and see for myself.

multitasking or no phone.
I will stick with my year old Pre. At least it has multitasking and wow, even copy & paste.

I was really looking forward to getting a win7 phone and waited until the announcements yesterday to make up my mind, but after seeing it had

no microsd support
no multitasking

I went an purchased a new android device, which should be here sometime this week.

You won't be dissapointed....its a daily occurrence that my coworkers drool over my Droid and immediately after scream at their HTC Windows Mobile phones in anger.

no microsd support
no multitasking

Yeah, the microsd thing is a serious WTF? Who decided on adding the microsd slots to the phones, but then making it so the card isn't readable in anything else and replacing it can brick your phone.

The only thing I can see going for these phones are the Xbox live connectivity. Not even remotely enough to justify the purchase though. As many others have said Android and the I-phone just have to many features that these "new" phones just dont have.

Guy's practically got it down to a science.

For what it's worth, I don't doubt Windows Phone is an adequate OS. That being said, "adequate" is not going to be sufficient for the platform to be marginally successful. You can't just follow the exact same path as Apple has (and wind up where Apple was two years ago) and somehow hope to compete with them. Doesn't work that way, Microsoft.

For what it's worth, I don't doubt Windows Phone is an adequate OS. That being said, "adequate" is not going to be sufficient for the platform to be marginally successful. You can't just follow the exact same path as Apple has (and wind up where Apple was two years ago) and somehow hope to compete with them. Doesn't work that way, Microsoft.
Worked for Windows. :eek:

MSFT would have to put a serious dent in Enterprise adoption to be considered a real player, though. It doesn't look like Win 7 Phone can compete on the consumer front.

WP7 is about 3 years late and many dollars short.

They have positively no hope of competing. Android and iOS are both leaps and bounds ahead of WP7 in features and interface refinement. The only thing going for WP7 is that the kindergartner-grade development tools available for it will be usable by all the VB script kiddies our public schools are churning out, but the device's market share is going to be so abysmally small that no one is going to write software they can't sell.

Windows 7 Phone may fail but not worse than this post. If you think that Visual Studio 2010, Silverlight and XNA are is for script kiddies you've obviously not touched this stuff. While quite straightforward and powerful these are not simplistic tools.

There a LOT of .Net developers that at least for now are very interested in Windows 7 Phone as it leverages their skills and if you think that there aren't a lot of us already writing Windows 7 Phone apps you'd be wrong. I work with a lot of .Net devs and almost all of us are working on Windows 7 Phone apps.

And no, I'm no Microsoft white knight; you've simply not used the tools and have underestimated the number of devs that are interested in developing for Windows Phones at least for now. I’m not saying that WP7 will be successful, only that .Net devs are at this point VERY interested in it.

Guy's practically got it down to a science.

While somebody mentioned above that this is exactly the means that drove Microsoft to total world domination, it doesn't seem to have the threat it used to. Who really thinks they can win any other way?

For all the naysayers consider this

Android started way behind apple. with the current momentum they are going relegate apple to a minority share in a year or two

Microsoft has the resources to throw at this if need be. (if they really want it)

Microsoft has an awesome selling point to the manufactures, reduced patent liability. That alone is going to make several players look long and hard at windows. do not underestimate this single advantage. if Microsoft takes the burden of litigation they will be trying to shove windows mobile down our throats

Microsoft has an awesome selling point to the manufactures

So does Android. They're highly secret and revolutionary features that no other OS has yet - things like copy and paste, multitasking, and turn by turn navigation.

So does Android. They're highly secret and revolutionary features that no other OS has yet - things like copy and paste, multitasking, and turn by turn navigation.

I would look at that as being selling points to the customers (not manufactures) My EVO is simply awesome, would not trade it for anything. but I doubt that would matter much to HTC if there is enough money involved.

True enough, but manufacturer's aren't going to want to make massive commitments to Microsoft if they don't believe the userbase is there.

There a LOT of .Net developers that at least for now are very interested in Windows 7 Phone as it leverages their skills and if you think that there aren't a lot of us already writing Windows 7 Phone apps you'd be wrong. I work with a lot of .Net devs and almost all of us are working on Windows 7 Phone apps.

This post has alot of weight. Don't forget that to publish to the App Store you NEED to have a mac. I don't have numbers but im willing to bet that there are a lot more windows developers than mac developers.

True enough, but manufacturer's aren't going to want to make massive commitments to Microsoft if they don't believe the userbase is there.

also true. this is going to be interesting isn't it? what manufactures want on one had and the users needs / wants on the other. and as mentioned they are not going to have a problem finding developers either. so I guess its time to break out the popcorn :D

Yes you are. And I'm also a Microsoft fanboy.

Microsoft technologies put money in my pocket. If that's a fanboy or a knight then so be it. Everyone here, you, phide and the rest of the gang are no different. You'll favor that which makes you money, who the hell wouldn't?

At least I'm honest and logical about it rather than calling people names that I don't know.;)

By your own choice, of course?

If I can make the same or more money with other technologies cool. Show me where Android or Linux or OS X or whatever developers are making REAL money from salaried jobs that pay 6 figure salaries, with plenty of jobs in the field and what training and I need to do to get those jobs and I'm there. ;)

But this notion of 'your choice' shows a lot of naiveté. I choose to pay my bills and eat and have money to buy these fancy gadgets.

I have an HTC Touch Pro2 running WinMo 6.5. I have to say I kind of like it. I looked at the Palm Pre and wasn't super thrilled, so I went with the TP2.

But every thing on the internet tells me I'm a total, complete, and utter loser for feeling this way. :shrug:

By your own choice, of course?
You're walking down a path that can only lead to frustration. A pig will eat from a trough if there is food to be had and so it is with some people and Microsoft products.

There is no fate but what Ballmer makes for you.

You're walking down a path that can only lead to frustration. A pig will eat from a trough if there is food to be had and so it is with some people and Microsoft products.

There is no fate but what Ballmer makes for you.

LOL! :D This is definitely something that someone with little work experience in the real world would say.

LOL! :D This is definitely something that someone with little work experience in the real world would say.

Please. A good developer isn't the product of their tools. Instead, they make the most of what they have available. :rolleyes:

Please. A good developer isn't the product of their tools. Instead, they make the most of what they have available. :rolleyes:

Of course, who said otherwise? But a smart developer learns the tools and technolgies that are in demand for that jobs that pay well. And you can be the greatest developer on the planet, without years of real world experience in this economy good luck finding a job.;)

I have an HTC Touch Pro2 running WinMo 6.5. I have to say I kind of like it. I looked at the Palm Pre and wasn't super thrilled, so I went with the TP2.

But every thing on the internet tells me I'm a total, complete, and utter loser for feeling this way. :shrug:

I have a TP2 and the damned thing has a hell of a speaker phone and speaker phone mode. That and the voice turn by turn GPS, which BTW wasn't in the box, are very sweet. That's the thing about phones, NONE are the a the best at everything and it only takes that one VERY well done thing to make a person like a phone.

I love my HTC Touch Pro2. The Windows Marketplace had all the apps I needed, and well the keyboard on the TP2 is leaps and bounds above all the others I have tried. Including the Android phones. Although I will admit I haven't looked at any of the new phones in the past 3 months.

That and it works damn well with an exchange server.

My requirements for a phone are that it has a damn good physical keyboard, works perfectly with an exchange server, I can plug it in to my computer and have it show up like a flash drive, adding music is just drag and drop, and finally be on Verizon. I don't give a shit about what others say about the OS or what it runs. The last time around a phone running the "terrible" WinMo 6.1 was the winner.

Back