low memory bandwidth means what? (pentium M question)

tomciob

Limp Gawd
acording to these guys http://www.gamepc.com/labs/print_content.asp?id=dothandesktop
the pentium M 2.0 OCd to 2.3G is ALMOST equivalent to a P4 ~3.4G, ok great
however its memory bandwidth is like half.
all the game benchmarks they ran are almost the same (i say almost because considering other factors like power,bandwidth its performance is insane) content creation is a tad slower but again considering all variables its awesome.

so my question is : the fact that its memory bandwidth and latency are a lot worse what performance hits NOT DOCUMENTED in the article should i expect?

The types of apps that suffer from low memory bandwidth:
audio/video encoding performance (MP3/DiVX/MPEG-1 or -2 encoding)
anything else with heavy FPU/SSE streaming (SETI/FAH)
graphics/rendering apps (photoshop when applying effects/Maya/3DS MAX)

If a program works with large amounts of data in a streaming fashion, it's probably memory bandwidth limited (not always true, but generally is).

Look at benchmarks of evenly matched Athlon (XP or 64 - just don't trust the PR as an indicator here) versus a P4. Pretty much anywhere the P4 has a significant lead over a normally well matched Athlon, that's probably a memory-bandwidth dependant task.

ameoba said:
Look at benchmarks of evenly matched Athlon (XP or 64 - just don't trust the PR as an indicator here) versus a P4. Pretty much anywhere the P4 has a significant lead over a normally well matched Athlon, that's probably a memory-bandwidth dependant task.
SSE2 is getting pretty popular in applications...

Back