Low vcore with Asus A8N-SLI Premium

btf

Limp Gawd
Edit: A8N-SLI Premium

I've been trying to o/c my 4400+ and noticed the vcore when set to 1.55v is being reported at 1.500/1.520. Both by pc probe and cpu-z. It does this with any other voltage too.

Are others experiencing this?

I have low voltages reported with everything in the bios. what are your other voltages reading out of curiosity? What power supply are you using? I have an s12 500 and all voltages seem low. To answer your question my vcore always reports lower than what it is set. I run my 4400+@ 2.4 at 1.325v in the bios and it usually reads 1.3-1.31 if that helps, but i'd still be interested to know what your other voltages are reading. I noticed when looking through the manual that a screenshot shows their voltages low as well.

My Premium overvoltages ;-/ For instance right now I have it set as 1.55v in BIOS. Load up CPU-Z and Everest its volting at 1.57-1.58v.

synergyo1 what bios version are you using?

Power supply is an OCZ-520. Other voltages look ok. 11.92 for 12v. 4.98 for 5v. If my memory is accurate.

I think it might not be enough psu for this rig. I seem to have trouble overclocking both the videocards and cpu together. Either O/C by itself is fine.

I got an Antec 430 watt in my closet. I'm thinking of using that to power the mobo and use the ocz-520 for the 7800GTX's.

I haven't noticed it myself as my motherboard does increment the voltage settings properly (even if they are a bit low as most motherboards are). . . however, some have reported a problem on their A8N-SLI motherboards where the motherboard ignores any vcore setting and just always reports it as the same settings (again, reglardless of the setting in the BIOS). Then, once you set it high enough, it sits at one other setting, and won't budge from it even if you set it even higher. So, there is a claim out there that the A8N-SLI only really supports two vcore settings regardless of what you do. . . and that this takes place only on X2 processors.

Now, I should state again that I run an X2 processor, and I haven't noticed this behavior. My vcore settings work fine. But maybe you are one of the ones affected by this.

Oh, and make sure Cool'n'Quiet is disabled under CPU Settings in the BIOS.

Edit:

Here is a report on that "only two vcore settings" issue. Again, this is not an issue on all boards. . . and I wonder if some mistake might have been made on this user's end.

I also noticed that whether I set the vcore to 1.55v or 1.50v it is being reported as 1.500/1.520 so this seems to confirm what people are seeing.

I might just switch to a DFI board. I've got the vapochill bug. And this board ain't going to cut it.

gazza_new said:
I've only tried the board upto 1.37 but every vcore i set works!
Yep, I've tried every vcore increment up to 1.4375v and each settings makes a difference in the reported vcore. It's a little undervolted, but each setting does increment it. So, I'm clear of the problem.

btf said:
synergyo1 what bios version are you using?

Power supply is an OCZ-520. Other voltages look ok. 11.92 for 12v. 4.98 for 5v. If my memory is accurate.

I think it might not be enough psu for this rig. I seem to have trouble overclocking both the videocards and cpu together. Either O/C by itself is fine.

I got an Antec 430 watt in my closet. I'm thinking of using that to power the mobo and use the ocz-520 for the 7800GTX's.

Is that ocz-520 the modstream or the powerstream? the ms only has 28a on the 12v rail, and the ps has 33a....only 1a short of being sli "certified".....but should be enough.

It's the powerstream model. I tried a few more voltage settings. Whether I use 1.45v 1.5v or 1.55v nothing changes. It's still being reported as 1.520/1.502.

I haven't tried lower voltages than that. So I guess my board only has 2 voltage settings like some people have been seeing. This kinda sucks. So I'm either running 1.5v or stock...

I'm not even sure I'm going to bother with an RMA. I'll just sell it and get the DFI board.

btf said:
I also noticed that whether I set the vcore to 1.55v or 1.50v it is being reported as 1.500/1.520 so this seems to confirm what people are seeing.

I might just switch to a DFI board. I've got the vapochill bug. And this board ain't going to cut it.

The DFI is a piece of shit. Any board that doesn't work properly out of the box is a pile of crap, festering in the sun with nuts in it. Sometimes having corn floatees around it. If dropped in water.

I don't know if your using the A8N-SLi Deluxe or Premium, but I've heard the Premium can even out OC the DFI in some cases. I'd go with that if I was going to switch to anything. The Asus board may not be recording your voltages accurately. But if it works and OC's well I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The board is a premium. What do you mean by saying it doesn't work out of the box? Bios updates are needed? Tweaking? I know the board supports up to 1.9v vcore and 4v ram :D I'm seriously considering moving to phase change and getting this board.

My current max overclock is 2675mhz on 1 core the other fails at 2600mhz. Both cores are dual prime95 stable @ 2550mhz max with 1.520/1.502v being reported. I was just hoping to get more than this with an XP-120 and high flow panaflo.

Back