low voltage X10 fireplace

my grandpa just got an electrically actuated gas fireplace. it runs 24v DC through a switch on the wall. i want to add an X10 controller to the fireplace... in theory, i could do 2 things:
>put the x10 controller on the low voltage transformer, so that if the switch was on, x10 could turn the fireplace on or off
>put the x10 controller on a near by outlet, and have a 120v AC relay connected to it. then connect the 24v switch in parallel to the relay's N.O. connection, so either x10 or the switch could control the fireplace

i haven't gotten a chance to look at the transformer yet, but i wanted to throw this up here and get any thoughts on it. would this be safe? and which of the two options would be better, if they would be as easy... and am i missing anything

thanks, //jsd

I dont have much knowledge of the x10 system, But it sounds like the second option would both be easier and more covenant.

I dont see why the second option wouldn’t be safe, just make sure its not not on a control that is commonly hit

I'd also go with the second option. It won't involve messing with the fireplace itself, and should work fine. The only change I'd make is a physical switch in series with the x10 controlled relay, so that you can turn that switch off, and the relay will not be able to turn the fireplace on.

yeah, but this IS a modding forum, and he already has a bunch of the regular x10 thingies.

but he already orderd one of thos for a doorbell, he might just get another one.

Back