M10 vs M12

As I said in my first post, looks aren't real big for me. As long as it works, I could care less how it looks. New would be nice, but I'm perfectly willing to buy used provided the price is right

I head off to college for the first time in 8 days... so I am in the same situation. I'm using primarily my DT770s and MS-1s as a music solution. If you haven't seen any dorm rooms they are incredibly small, so you need to be conscious of everything you are bringing. I am using my T240HD speakers for Xbox and cable and sticking to my new headphones and amp for everything else. The Z-5500s stay at home, of course.

I head off to college for the first time in 8 days... so I am in the same situation. I'm using primarily my DT770s and MS-1s as a music solution. If you haven't seen any dorm rooms they are incredibly small, so you need to be conscious of everything you are bringing. I am using my T240HD speakers for Xbox and cable and sticking to my new headphones and amp for everything else. The Z-5500s stay at home, of course.

I would not recommend bookshelf speakers for your typical "small" dorm room. I'd just go headphones in that case, and save up for speakers later when you're no longer living in dorms and have your own place.

My dorm room was enough to store the smallest bed you could find, a medium-sized desk, a mini-fridge, a shoe rack, and enough space to walk between all those components. Single room. There's no way I would've gotten a speaker setup under those conditions.

My dorm has rooms that are 10’6" wide by 16’7" long. Pretty small for me since I'm sharing it with someone else. What were your room dimensions? Also was it a single or double?

18x25 or something like that. It was a triple but we only had 2 people in it. It would have been a pretty decent size even for a triple though.

Well, it seems I'm in a 15x12 room with 2 other people... So I'm not quite sure how feasible bookshelf speakers would be. Think it would be better to just get the M10/12's? (leaning towards the 12's because of the headphone and mic jacks for easier switching, and of course the lower cost). Any other options? I've seen recommendations for an Edifier set (http://www.ncixus.com/products/27404/S330D/EDIFIER/). Again, these speakers will mainly be used in a dorm for music and perhaps movies when I don't want to be at my desk or constrained by headphones. I have Koss SB40s for gaming.

Also, I'm currently running on a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. Would it be worth investing in a new card?

So I finally actually read through Spaceman's alternative thread and am wondering if the Behringers would be a good choice. So now my options are the Swan M12's, the Edifier S330Ds, and Behringer MS20s (or MS40s if they're worth the extra $30). The Swans are $89 + however much shipping the Audio Insider charges, the Edifiers are $92 + whatever shipping NCIX charges (I think I saw someone mention shipping would be around $35, so about $130 total), and the Behringers are about $100 or $130 for the MS20s or MS40s respectively. At this point I probably wouldn't be buying a sub for the Behringers, though if it really would make that much of a difference I might.

From what I've read, the Swans would be a good choice for music, but have the disadvantage of a design that requires the "sub" to be on the desk. The Edifiers would be better for gaming (something I'm not going to be using speakers for) but still would be an overall solid choice for everything, plus has a traditional sub that can be placed on the floor. The Behringers are flexible, have solid sound, and have the option of adding a quality sub later on. Main thing that bugs me about the them though, is that they don't have a mic jack, so would be a bit more of a hassle to switch between these and my headphones (SB40s). I could always use the front jacks on my case, though I would prefer not to.

What would be the best choice? Any other options? Once again, this is for a dorm setup (12x15 with 2 other people) for music and possibly movies for when I either don't feel like wearing my headphones or don't want to be at my desk, and I am currently running a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.

The Av40s would be the easiest thing for you. Let me look around a bit and decide for sure.

Do you have more $$ to spend on this or is about $150 max? You want a really small setup right?

Basically would like to keep the cost down as much as possible. However, if something costs a bit more but would be a better deal, I'll go for it. I'm all about value/bang-for-the-buck here. Small would probably be preferable, basically something that could fit fairly easily in a dorm (small triple room, 12'x15')

Well, for around $150 with a headphone amp and desktop control, I would get the AV40s.

Unless, you get a receiver instead and buy some small speakers on craigslist cheap. That will give you Dolby 5.1 downmix to stereo for movies and 360/PS3 games. This gives you more effects. You also get a better headphone amp and tons of flexibility. Just an option. Hell, you can get the Sherwood 6500 for $129+shipping now.

The AV40 will sound fine but always be digital stereo.

Seems like audioinsider is the major retailer of the M10s,
I ordered a pair sunday night and it's monday night now and no news of shipping yet.
Guess I'm spoiled by newegg's shipping but anyone know how quickly they ship?

Back