Mac Edition Video Cards

mrweasel

Gawd
Okay, stupid question of the day:

I noticed some video cards are listed as "Mac Edition". Can't you just put a regular PC AGP card in a Mac or is there some voltage difference?

Same hardware, apart from the ROM. Mac video cards have a much larger ROM than most x86 video cards. 'Professional' x86 cards have the same size, I think. You can buy a top-end FireGL and flash it into a Mac X800XT, for example. Problem is the Mac X800XT costs several hundred dollars less... ;) For the most part, however, you can't use an x86 card in a Mac. Don't bother.

Black Morty Rackham said:
Same hardware, apart from the ROM. Mac video cards have a much larger ROM than most x86 video cards. 'Professional' x86 cards have the same size, I think. You can buy a top-end FireGL and flash it into a Mac X800XT, for example. Problem is the Mac X800XT costs several hundred dollars less... ;) For the most part, however, you can't use an x86 card in a Mac. Don't bother.

Yes and no you can. Plain vanilla cards (like a Geforce 3) can have the ROM reflashed to a Mac version but you lose additional features like TV out. ATI cards need a chip replacement to accept the larger ROM file from the ones I've looked at.

Personally, I'd rather pick up a used Mac video card than mod one. Me = paranoid

i thought you could flash some cards to work with macs, like the 9800pro, ive seem people say they have flashed those to mac

I flashed the GeForce 3 that's still in my old G4. I did my research, made sure I got the right model card, and pushed the button. It was quite a bit of fun, actually :).

nsc1120 said:
i thought you could flash some cards to work with macs, like the 9800pro, ive seem people say they have flashed those to mac

The 9800 jobs I have seen have all involved either flashing with an SE or reduced ROM or replacing the EEPROM chip with a larger one and doing a solder job on a few resistors.

Centauri said:
The 9800 jobs I have seen have all involved either flashing with an SE or reduced ROM or replacing the EEPROM chip with a larger one and doing a solder job on a few resistors.
Yep. Quite a bit of work.

Back