Mac Pro Classic

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
This isn't strictly a worklog since most of the hard work has been done.

WARNING!!! Low quality cellphone pics. I will update later when I'm able to take some real pictures in better lighting.

I picked up an old PowerMac G4 case off eBay several years ago. Between various real life things I haven't been able to do much work on it all at once nor to take pics along the way. I've been up all night (can't sleep, stupid insomnia) so I decided to leak test the case (while watching some Justice League)!

I call it the Mac Pro Classic keeping in tune to the current naming conventions of Apple's cases. It started life out long ago as a Power Mac G4 and I've been slowly modding it over the years as I had time.

It started life as your typically G4 (I think it's a Graphite).

And here it is today! the tray has been refitted for mATX motherboards. This is me leak testing it.

Water has been running through it all night, tightened up some leaks and now everything seems good.

This is what it looks like right now with the door closed.

This is the back, you can see the new I/O bracket and the flipped PSU. I've tried this once before and even on water I was worried with the temps being too high around the CPU area. I'm hoping the PSU can act like an exhaust here and help alleviate some heat.

I'm actually getting ready to throw some hardware inside to see how well it cools. Right now, below my desk the Quad Athlon I'm running hovers around 50-54c (during normal service) using the stock cooler in an old Qpack.

Cool build, Marine. What's the final product going to look like? MARPAT that shit! Or is that too much of a oxymoron; a Mac in cammies, haha ;)

Keep at the build and post it when you do it. Very cool stuff.

Back