Mac Pro No video

Kardonxt

2[H]4U
I have a mac pro that's not posting video. I have tried the stock nvidia 7300 and a hd 2600 from a newer mac pro that I read should work in all mac pro machines. I have tried all the pci express slots and still no luck.

I thought maybe it was a bad logic board but it loads into target disk mode fine.

Any ideas on what the issue could be?

I'm not a Mac guy, but a few general, basic things.

Are you sure all your cable connections are solid? Have you tried a different display? Have you tried using a different input on the monitor/output on the Mac (VGA vs DVI)? Using a different source for the display? A different cable?

Basically, swapping things out to see where exactly the failure is.

Try booting with a Linux LiveCD or something. Any video output?

Thanks for teh idea i didnt even know macs could boot to live cds.

Unfortunately still no luck. I hear the rom spin up for a long time so i know it's loading into knoppix but no video still.

Thanks for teh idea i didnt even know macs could boot to live cds.

Unfortunately still no luck. I hear the rom spin up for a long time so i know it's loading into knoppix but no video still.

Sucks. At least you can be pretty sure it's a hardware issue at this point. Tried resetting the PRAM yet?

So I just walked over to the machine at ZOMG it has video!? Then I restarted it and no video again QQ.

I tried resetting PRAM, still no luck.

It must be a hardware issue I'm just not sure what. It would have to be a logic board at this point if the video card works fine in another mac pro right?

Also macs can be sensitive to bad ram. try taking sticks out and mess around with them, maybe a stick went bad.

Back