mac self upgrade?

oOo sam lee oOo

Limp Gawd
so i've heard people tell me, when it came to the macbooks, to get ones with less ram, and upgrade it later myself. and i figure its a good idea to save some money and such, but would applecare not apply anymore? I mean, i assumed it wouldnt, but theres always that hope...

actually, is this even a reasonable idea? (goin in there and messing with it myself)

thanks

In my Macbook Pro, the RAM is the only user-upgradeable thing, and the manual clearly explains how to do it. Nothing else, not even the hard drive, is intended to be user-removeable.

In my Macbook Pro, the RAM is the only user-upgradeable thing, and the manual clearly explains how to do it. Nothing else, not even the hard drive, is intended to be user-removeable.

Yeah but you can change the hard drive on the MacBooks (non pro). Adding RAM does not void your warranty unless it was incorrectly installed and something was broken in the process.

It's very easy to install RAM or a new hard drive. There's one L-shaped cover inside the battery bay held in place by three screws on the long side. Once you remove it, the hard drive slides out of the short opening and the memory slides into slots in the long opening.

Yes, I would get a Macbook as it's very easy to change hard drive or RAM, on the Macbook Pro, you can only change the RAM without completely tearing the computer apart, which I'm quite sure WOULD void your warranty.

on the Macbook Pro, you can only change the RAM without completely tearing the computer apart, which I'm quite sure WOULD void your warranty.

Nope, it only voids your warranty if you break something in the process. If you are careful and put the computer back together correctly, nobody is ever going to know that it's been opened up.

Finally, any 3rd party items you use to upgrade your computer are not covered by the Apple warranty. This can add some interesting problems(as the Apple techs will tend to blame 3rd party parts for any and all warranty issues), but it does NOT void your warranty.

as somebody that worked in Tier 2 AppleCare for longer than I care to remember....you can upgrade RAM on any Mac (IIRC) with out voiding the waranty. If an item is not listed as a 'Customer Installable Part' and you replace it..fine...warranty is still not voided...if you break something in the process...then you are screwed if it was a CIP part or not as neither warranty nor AppleCare cover accidental damage. With that said...if you DO decide to upgrade something that isn't a CIP part...make sure you keep it because if you have to send it in for service it is very possible that it will come right back to you with that part removed or not worked on as the techs know based on the serial number what is supposed to be in that particular computer.

Back