MacBook - 1.83 or 2.0ghz? & Financing Question

DanMattia

Limp Gawd
Well, I've been using a Windows PC since 1999, and I need a laptop for school/work, so I figured I'd get a MacBook. I have a few questions, first.

I'm unsure as to which MacBook to get: 1.83ghz or 2.0ghz Core Duo? I'm not going to be doing very intensive work on it, and I'm unsure as to whether or not the small difference in processor speed will be noticeable or not. I'll be using OpenOffice/internet/IM/email, and probably use some of the iLife stuff, so the speed doesn't make a big difference to me unless performance will be severely hindered.

Also, the only way I can get this is through the Apple financing. $26/mo for the MacBook 1.83 Core Duo is affordable for me. However, how is the Apple financing? Will I end up getting pounded by the interest, and will I have to pay anything upfront (tax, etc.)? How's that work?

Thank you so much and I apologise for my ignorance. I appreciate any sort of reply, however, and thank you for your time.

you won't notice much difference between those two processors. where you want to spend the extra money is RAM. but don't buy it through apple. they gouge you on RAM upgrades. find a good deal for it online. it's insanely simple to upgrade the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

BoySetsFire said:
you won't notice much difference between those two processors. where you want to spend the extra money is RAM. but don't buy it through apple. they gouge you on RAM upgrades. find a good deal for it online. it's insanely simple to upgrade the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

Yeah, I double-checked the RAM on Newegg and for MacBook-compatible RAM it'll cost me ~$40 for another stick of 512mb of RAM. Apple was insanely overpriced on that. I won't void the warranty if I install the RAM myself, though, will I?

Thanks for the clarification on the processor speed differences, as well.

you won't void the warranty, i don't think, especially if you're just adding an extra stick to the 512 that it comes with. if it comes down to having to ship it off to apple for repairs, just pul the aftermarket stick you added and send it off that way. no biggie.

also, i've got a 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro(refurbished) that i got earlier this week, and all my bottlenecks are RAM related. i've got CPU cycles to spare. i'll be upgrading the RAM soon, though. just gotta wait for the next paycheck. :)

BoySetsFire said:
you won't void the warranty, i don't think, especially if you're just adding an extra stick to the 512 that it comes with. if it comes down to having to ship it off to apple for repairs, just pul the aftermarket stick you added and send it off that way. no biggie.

also, i've got a 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro(refurbished) that i got earlier this week, and all my bottlenecks are RAM related. i've got CPU cycles to spare. i'll be upgrading the RAM soon, though. just gotta wait for the next paycheck. :)

That's great! Thanks a ton. I need to buy a wireless router after getting this laptop, since it's sort-of needed :p

can always jack an ethernet cable in, but what's the fun in that, right?

my linksys wrt54g works great.

Did you read all the financing information or did you get excited with the low payments? It's 90 days interest free or you pay over 13% APR. If those were my options I would get a rewards credit card with a signing bonus about $50 to $100 and 0% APR for a year much better deal than the Apple credit.

hongsc said:
Did you read all the financing information or did you get excited with the low payments? It's 90 days interest free or you pay over 13% APR. If those were my options I would get a rewards credit card with a signing bonus about $50 to $100 and 0% APR for a year much better deal than the Apple credit.

Yeah, I read it all, and unfortunately, it's my only method.

The difference between the 1.83ghz model and the 2.0ghz model is not only 200mhz BUT also one comes with a combo drive while the other comes with a Superdrive. The 1.83ghz model can't be upgraded to a Superdrive model through Apple. If DVD burning is of any importance I would reconsider.

DanMattia said:
Yeah, I double-checked the RAM on Newegg and for MacBook-compatible RAM it'll cost me ~$40 for another stick of 512mb of RAM. Apple was insanely overpriced on that. I won't void the warranty if I install the RAM myself, though, will I?

Thanks for the clarification on the processor speed differences, as well.

The macbook comes with two 256 sticks (only two ram slots), If you trying to het to a gig you will need to order 2 512mb sticks. Just an FYI

winuxgeek said:
The macbook comes with two 256 sticks (only two ram slots), If you trying to het to a gig you will need to order 2 512mb sticks. Just an FYI

Couldn't he just buy 1x 1gb module and just pair it up with one of the 256mb modules? I imagine its more cost effective that way in the long run when he might want to add another 1gb module.

From a 1.83 Macbook Pro to a 2.0 Macbook Pro packed very little difference. The differences between the 1.8 and 2.0 Macbooks are a bit more pronounced... If you plan on doing ANY dvd burning EVER (a nice feature for a laptop without HD expansion options), or just want the extra processor speed that, you'll never notice.

Sure, you might save a few seconds encoding/zipping/rendering/etc. but from day to day, there'll be no difference (except it might save you the chance to actually have kids, the 1.83's get cooler then the 2.0s)

Adding 1gig and a 256mb stick would be alright, it would degrade performance in and of the area of 5% (to 20% in some games, but... those arn't happening on the MB anyways). The above option is better, get a supplimental 1gb stick, use it with a 256mb, till you want another 1gb stick in 1-2 years.

As for financing, I always try to stay away from that kind of stuff. Even if I have to wait 3-4 more paychecks to afford something, I'd rather not pay extra for something if I can avoid it... I mean, on huge purchases like a house the situation is pretty much unavoidable, but for a sub 2000$ machine, I'd wait. (If of course, it's at ALL possible). Apple is competitive in their interest rates.

synergyo1 said:
The difference between the 1.83ghz model and the 2.0ghz model is not only 200mhz BUT also one comes with a combo drive while the other comes with a Superdrive. The 1.83ghz model can't be upgraded to a Superdrive model through Apple. If DVD burning is of any importance I would reconsider.

Well, I have a PC with an external DVD burner, so that's not a problem either.

winuxgeek said:

Well, I can deal with 512 for awhile, and I can always buy a gig stick for less than $80, so that's not a problem either. But thanks for bringing that up--I thought it came with one 512.

Arcygenical said:
From a 1.83 Macbook Pro to a 2.0 Macbook Pro packed very little difference. The differences between the 1.8 and 2.0 Macbooks are a bit more pronounced... If you plan on doing ANY dvd burning EVER (a nice feature for a laptop without HD expansion options), or just want the extra processor speed that, you'll never notice.

Like I just said, I have a PC with an external DVD burner, so the burning isn't a problem. I also don't think the 200mhz difference will be a problem if it's not noticeable.

Arcygenical said:
Sure, you might save a few seconds encoding/zipping/rendering/etc. but from day to day, there'll be no difference (except it might save you the chance to actually have kids, the 1.83's get cooler then the 2.0s)

I'd hardly use the MB on my lap, since I'm usually near a surface, but I do like the idea of less heat, as well.

Arcygenical said:
Adding 1gig and a 256mb stick would be alright, it would degrade performance in and of the area of 5% (to 20% in some games, but... those arn't happening on the MB anyways). The above option is better, get a supplimental 1gb stick, use it with a 256mb, till you want another 1gb stick in 1-2 years.

Yeah, no gaming on it. It's just for work/presentations/school, so the 1.5gb of RAM or whatever I end up using will be just fine.

Arcygenical said:
As for financing, I always try to stay away from that kind of stuff. Even if I have to wait 3-4 more paychecks to afford something, I'd rather not pay extra for something if I can avoid it... I mean, on huge purchases like a house the situation is pretty much unavoidable, but for a sub 2000$ machine, I'd wait. (If of course, it's at ALL possible). Apple is competitive in their interest rates.

That would be the ideal plan, but I don't have $1000 on-hand, and I own my own business that isn't currently making much of a profit, so money's not easy to come by. I really just don't want to get owned by Apple's financing and end up paying much more than I need to.

The MacBook will help me with work, however, so it'll pay for itself in the future.

Thank you to everyone who's helped so far! It's immensely appreciated!

DanMattia said:
Yeah, no gaming on it. It's just for work/presentations/school, so the 1.5gb of RAM or whatever I end up using will be just fine.
Aren't there just 2 DIMM's *Or whatever they're reffered to in laptops*

Thus only allowing you to only put the 1024 + 256 stick?

Adionik said:

SO-DIMMs, and yes, there are only two slots.

Alright, well, I'm buying it in about an hour with Apple Financing--any last words?

Thanks everyone for your help.

It should be noted that 2 gigabyte modules work in it, though. As far as I've heard, it works just fine with 4 gigs.

Adionik said:

Heh, whoops. :p

Arcygenical said:
Last words: Good luck :D And grats on the nice purchase.

Thanks! I ordered it around 2:30! :D

I purchased my refurbished MBP and recieved it 22 hrs later (I'm in Canada too). I hope you get the same level of service.

Arcygenical said:
I purchased my refurbished MBP and recieved it 22 hrs later (I'm in Canada too). I hope you get the same level of service.

It says it'll be shipping on the 28th, and received on the 6th. It seems long, but I'm willing to wait.

DanMattia said:
It says it'll be shipping on the 28th, and received on the 6th. It seems long, but I'm willing to wait.

yeah but what did you chose for the shipping options ;) congrats on the purchase...I have been looking at the MB now that it is in the employee store but need somebody to buy my iBook 933 14" any takers?

gigglebyte said:
yeah but what did you chose for the shipping options ;) congrats on the purchase...I have been looking at the MB now that it is in the employee store but need somebody to buy my iBook 933 14" any takers?

I chose the default shipping, heh. It'll actually be here tomorrow or, hopefully, today. They've been updating the shipping times each day. And FedEx is usually pretty quick.

Arcygenical said:
Fedex is like 2 days to get to me.

Well, the MacBook went from Shangai, to Anchorage, to Indianapolis, and it's on its way to Providence, RI now, I guess. Due tomorrow.

Does the MacBook work well with WPA/WPA2?

Back