Macbook - Clicking superdrive

Chomp

Gawd
I have a Macbook (black) with a core 2 duo 2.0 and the 6x superdrive. I notice that when I insert a CD/DVD, as soon as the disk is inserted a hear a couple of loud clicks along with the motors or whatever pulling the the disc. they are pretty loud clicks and they kinda vibrate the entire laptop (you cant see the laptop move or anything, but you can feel it). Anyway, it doesn't sound good.. almost like something is jammed, but so far I haven't had any problems with discs being read or burned. When I eject a disc, I get 1 click...

This Macbook is only a couple weeks old and it's done this since I first got it. Interestingly, I had exactly the same Macbook (specs wise) about a month ago but sent it back for a screen issue.. but it did not make any clicking noises at all. I know that computer makers sometimes use different brands of drives.. is this what's going on here? Anyone else have a clicking drive? :p

I have a MBP that does the same thing. And before that, I had an iBook that made the same noise. It definitely is a scary noise, but I have a feeling that it's somewhat normal.

yeah, the Superdrive growling noise is definitely not an issue and common to ever slot-loading Mac laptop i've come in contact with (which is currently up to about a dozen at the office ranging from ibooks up to mbp's). It's scary the first time you hear it, for sure, but there's nothing wrong with the drive.

Yea it happens to mine when i first put in a DVD. Slot drives are way noisy

I wish Macs would have cool slot loading drives like the one on the nintendo wii so when you put the disc in a little it sucks it in and doesn't make any loud clicky noises.

okay, as long as it's normal.. heh.

It's just a.. rough sounding noise. Like something is broken or not lined up right in there. But thanks for the replies.. I feel better now :cool:

Yeah, mine sounds like it's crushing rocks everytime I put a disk in. Works fine since I bought it in August though, so I wouldn't worry.

Back