Macbook completely lost ability to load webpages

Circuitbreaker8

Supreme [H]ardness
Having a VERY strange problem with my Macbook Pro. I was downloading a file yesterday and my internet dropped connection. It was a .RAR file that was about 3% complete. I thought it was strange, so I checked my cell phone and I had full wireless connectivity to it. Loaded a couple webpages to make sure it wasn't loading from the cache and everything checked out. I decided to restart my modem anyways. Flipped the power switch and left it off for 5 minutes and rebooted.

My Macbook connects to my router, but I can't access anything web-based (Safari, mail, etc.). Strangely, Skype works.When I load a webpage, it says, "Safari cannot connect to www.google.com" almost instantly. It doesn't even try to load. Its been like this for over a day, its really bugging me out! Hardwired connection doesn't work either. I've also tried running WiFi from school and starbucks, no luck.

Heres what I've tried...

1) Renewed DCHP address
2) Reset modem
3) Deleted default AirPort connection, added it again
4) Played with firewall settings
5) Manually selected "connect to new network" by re-entering router and password
6) Closed Anti-virus software, scanned for viruses, found nothing

Heres another weird fact, some pages will load "text only"...no pictures, and it will be in a very weird unorganized format.

Any ideas?

Might want to try a different dns server. (Manually set it)

Could rule this issue out if you have another computer on the network to test make sure it not your dns setting your getting from DHCP

DNS request for all images ect.. on the page might be timing out if text is only thing loading possibly.

I'm checking NY times and it seems like all of the text is up to date...so its weird that it can load this information but not google.com or most others.

Edit: Another weird fact, Wikipedia loads everything. Pictures, format is correct, etc. Tried multiple searches as well.

Edit 2: Seems like adding that address to the DNS server does load certain pages, but not all. For example, it will load ign.com and autoblog.com, but not facebook or google.

This is probably the weirdest computer related problem I've ever had.

Last edited:
I'm checking NY times and it seems like all of the text is up to date...so its weird that it can load this information but not google.com or most others.

Edit: Another weird fact, Wikipedia loads everything. Pictures, format is correct, etc. Tried multiple searches as well.

Edit 2: Seems like adding that address to the DNS server does load certain pages, but not all. For example, it will load ign.com and autoblog.com, but not facebook or google.

This is probably the weirdest computer related problem I've ever had.

Try a different browser/remove all add-ons.

Well, it turned out the root of the problem was Peer Gaurdian. Even though it wasn't running, something bugged out. Once I deleted it, everything was back to normal.

Last edited:
Back