Macbook or 17" Powerbook

EarlMcFish

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to decide which one to get.....I will be using it to record and perform live music. I was leaning more towards the powerbook just because of the size of the screen. Then I was thinking that the macbook will be faster, and I will be able to push more tracks during performance. Only downside is the smaller screen. What do you guys think?

The Macbook will destroy the Powerbook in every test you put to it (especially since Garageband is already Intel native).

No contest. The G4 is a chip best suited for 2002, not 2006. The Core Duo is the way to go.

Rocketpig said:
The Macbook will destroy the Powerbook in every test you put to it (especially since Garageband is already Intel native).

No contest. The G4 is a chip best suited for 2002, not 2006. The Core Duo is the way to go.

I was going to use a little less strong wording but I completely agree. The Core Duo is super fast and and G4 is aging. Either wait for a 17 inch Macbook or get the 15 right now.

Deadlierchair said:
I was going to use a little less strong wording but I completely agree. The Core Duo is super fast and and G4 is aging. Either wait for a 17 inch Macbook or get the 15 right now.

I bought a 1.83 Core Duo iMac and after using that, my distaste for the G4 chip has grown immensely.

It's not Apple's fault, but the G4 is a woeful performer by today's standards.

It's amazing watching Safari boot without bouncing in the dock. It hops once to show it's opening and then it appears.

The snappiness of the Core Duo Macs are amazing, even compared to a G5 chip, much less a G4 equipped computer.

The PowerBook G4 would be fine for recording music, especially in GarageBand, but the MacBook Pro would tear right through it. You may be stuck with a lower resolution, but you could always upgrade to an external monitor if you feel the need.

My vote goes to the MacBook Pro. :)

I bought a 17" PB after the last round of updates and while it does things fine and I can't go intel for a while until Adobe and some other software gets moved I do lust for the speed increases. Even with 2gig of ram on this thing it's not a speed demon at all. Work bought it and it's on a 3 year depreciation schedule, but I have not idea how I'll be able to use this for three years.

If your software requirements don't hold you back go intel.

macbook, period, you can bet we'll be seeing universal versions of everything at AES... the G4 is just so pittyfull, i could only stand it for a few months before going dual G5, now the duo is even nicer. Go Duo and never look back.

-esr

I have a PowerBook G4 15" and my friend has the 17". I would not be happy with the 17" at all. It is so large and the screen is not that much bigger. Definitely go for the MacBook Pro. You will be very happy with the speed and the manageable size to take with you wherever you go. The 17" is just an awkward size to travel with.

EarlMcFish said:
I'm trying to decide which one to get.....I will be using it to record and perform live music. I was leaning more towards the powerbook just because of the size of the screen. Then I was thinking that the macbook will be faster, and I will be able to push more tracks during performance. Only downside is the smaller screen. What do you guys think?

Macbook, All large size powerbooks suffer from the sound loop bug it is wicked annoying. On my friends, its gets so bad she has to restart.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/1/27/2676

what are your absolute time constraints and what app(s) are you going to be using for recording/editing?

I'm in no hurrry to purchase one now...maybe when my tax money comes in. I will be using Ableton Live 5 and Native Instruments Kontakt, and a couple of soft synths. I'll be using the laptop to record and perform live sets. Until then I'll be recording on my pc. I heard Ableton Live is easier on the cpu on the pc anyway....Should be better on the Macbook.

Back