MacBook Pro 13" Heat Issue

prodigee

Gawd
Is this common, I mean my MacBook gets really hot doing nothing, I was just watching some youtube videos and my computer got up to 90 C according to smcFanControl. I have no idea why it is doing this, but the past 2 days it has been getting really hot. Should I get rid of smc so that the fan speed changes automatically?

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks,

prodigee

Mine is fine, only gets really hot when i play WoW and i use smc to turn the fan to max so its bearable

If a laptop gets hot doing nothing, and the cpu usage is idle, then there is most likely something wrong with the fan, it isn't drawing out heat. So either it is clogged by hair/dust, or is just malfunctioning.

Get a can of compressed air and spray into the vents. Dust CAN collect inside, and this should blow it out. I do it once a week, takes 10 seconds. Also spray along the keyboard; you'd be surprised how many things fall into the gaps between the aluminum and the keys.

lixuelai is right, however: Flash stinks on OS X. How Adobe gets away with this, I'll never know, but Flash desperately needs a rewrite. However, since YouTube is using H.264 now, we can't really blame Flash for the temperature spike going on here. I think it's a combination of high system activity plus dust.

Well there can't be that much dust, its a week old...

And my idle temps are like around 60.

Should I just take it back and tell them the issue?

Yes. A week old MBP with heat issues needs to be addressed asap. Just document everything.

Well there can't be that much dust, its a week old...

And my idle temps are like around 60.

Should I just take it back and tell them the issue?

same here my idle temps around 55 C. I have a mid 07 macbook but... it didn't used to be like this. I used compressed air on the fan and i'll try to open up the case and look for dust.

Please if you go to the macstore, post back and let us know what they say. thx =\ the heat is really irratating me and i have smcfancontrol at 2700rpm constant

When you say "it gets to xx temp" WHICH Diode are you actually recording and registering as this temp?

smcFanControl is a horrible peice of software BTW. It's best to uninstall this and let the SMC module control temperatures itself. Believe me, there is no way you know how to regulate temperatures better than years of engineering and research.

There are 10 temperature diodes that report to the SMC to regulate thermal environments inside of a macbook pro.

Install iStat Pro and gives is a readout from that. Uninstall smcFanControl asap.

Flash drives CPU usage up like crazy. My 3yr old macbook would be on fire if I thought of visting youtube.

Flash drives CPU usage up like crazy. My 3yr old macbook would be on fire if I thought of visting youtube.

yeah unfortunately youtube is so popular... would a better GPU be able to handle flash without heating up as much?

Um... yeah, definitely take off smcFancontrol. Why are people manually overriding the fan controls? I have an last gen MBP and even when smothered inside a pillow fort in a heat wave while watching Hulu all day it only gets up to 70-80* and I don't mess with the fans. Get iStat to monitor it.

Ditto on removing SMC fan control. My MBP got into 85-90c importing CD's. Fan sped up but wasn't full speed. I'm sure Apple knows what they're doing. Also the max temp is 105c for the CPU IIRC.

dont know why everyones hating on smc fan control, before I had it, i was playing wow and when i touch my keyboard it would burn my fingers, and my fan wouldnt be spinning at max speed, after i installed smc fan control i just turn the fan to max speed before i play wow and it would be fine

60C idle and 90C with flash playing is nothing unusual. I'm idling at 54C right now and it hits 100C regularly before the fans ramp up (according to iStat Pro) playing flash or watching 720p h264 among other cpu intensive tasks.

So it is normal? Because it just seemed odd that I would be doing just 1 tab web browsing and the thing was heating up..

Back