Macbook Pro Random Reboots & X Battery

ToddW2

2[H]4U
2011 i7 Macbok Pro

I super rarely (maybe 5-10x a YEAR) use the laptop on battery only, most of the time it's plugged in at my home or office.

Recently I tried to use it in front of the TV and the battery lasted 15 minutes, next time it lasted 2 minutes, and now it's started to randomly reboot, and freeze while plugged in. Just last month the battery was working LIKE NEW.

It's like the battery has not only went bad but fried and randomly completely goes out.... ??

Anyone have any other ideas ?

By not using the battery much you've likely cooked it. Apple tells you to exercise the battery every month.

If it's under warranty maybe they'll fix it for you.

By not using the battery much you've likely cooked it. Apple tells you to exercise the battery every month.

If it's under warranty maybe they'll fix it for you.

If its under warranty and it has 80% or less capacity that spec calls for - they will fix it.

That does sound like a bad battery, and it almost certainly has absolutely nothing to do with your lack of use. You can take it to an Apple store, and then they can run a diagnostic on the battery in a few minutes to tell if it's good or not. My guess is you'll get a big angry red failed message when they run the test.

If it's out of warranty, and you don't mind a little DIY experimentation, you can remove the bottom case and then just disconnect the battery from the logic board. Then you'll have to be kind of careful, but you can use it like that with the AC connected. I did it all the time when I worked as an Apple repair tech.

If the battery has failed, it's possible that it is heating up inside the case and causing the unit to reboot.

Get the thing to an Apple store or AASP, and at the very least have them run a check on the battery. I'm betting it will have failed. At least then you can weigh your options.

Just to update everyone.

SquareTrade replaced the battery, and so far it's been working fine again.

Back