macOS Sierra releases; Internet issues collective yawn

SuperSubZero

2[H]4U
So back on Tuesday, macOS 10.12 "Sierra" launched to little fanfare. The launch only warranted a little corner of Apple's website. Surprisingly little "it destroyed my Mac" chatter this time around.

Key features:

Minus X - We do not discuss the X anymore.

Siri - Siri does Siri things, but can't directly modify settings or shut down. She can open apps (usually), dictate (tho with Mail it's rough) and do calendar, weather, and if you ask her what's going on, she'll show Twitter stuff. On every Mac I tried Siri on, for some reason the mic takes a full second or two to start listening to me, so I end up with half a command. -.-; An "Irish Female" voice is available, which I am using, since it's cyber-sexy.

Universal Clipboard - between supported devices on bluetooth+wifi, You can copy from one device and paste in another. I got it to work, but the devices did have to both be on wifi, with bluetooth on, and be close to each other. My perpetually wired ethernet 2011 17" MacBook Pro does not get to participate in those activities.

Watch unlock - Unlock newer (2013+) Macs with an Apple Watch nearby. This requires setting a PIN on the Watch, and Two Factor on your Apple ID. If you have the older 4-digit 2FA like I had, the process to turn it off and switch it to the 6-digit type isn't hard, but they don't actually EXPLAIN the process at all. Note that you need a Mac to be actually locking for this to do anything. So unless you explicitly have your Mac set to lock, this is kinda useless.

iCloud Docs/Downloads - let Sierra automatically throw your Documents and Desktop folder into iCloud. Note that the free limit on iCloud is still 5GB. I didn't even try it.

Apple Pay in Safari - Whatevs.

App updates - Mail does filters, Photos does Memories, iWork stuff has beta collaboration features. Yay. Messages gets the updated emotes/big emotes, but not much else. iTunes looks different again, and they still REALLY want you to get Apple Music.

Picture in Picture - Apparently videos in Safari can be broken out and floated, but I haven't tried it.

Pruning old Macs - Sierra trims off some older Macs from the supported list. *pats his old 2007 MacBook Pro* There there buddy, they may not love you anymore, but *I* still love you.

I can already see stuff that would be nice to fix in .1 but nothing show-stopping. Just business as usual really.

Whenever I go into sleep mode, it won't wake up anymore. Only if I actually press the sleep button though (Apple logo then Sleep). If I let it go to sleep normally then it works. I sent them a bug report since I'm in the beta program. On the GM though, so it's basically the same as what everyone else got.

Got it running very well in a VM presently and the overall performance is surprisingly fast compared to El Capitan in a VM on the same hardware so, definitely some serious optimization going on with Sierra. Will try it out on bare metal hardware here in a few days but I suspect it'll beat El Capitan again in terms of performance on the same hardware. No issues noted, just the iTunes update so far, we'll see how it goes. Apple already pushed the 10.12.1 Developer beta so, they're on the ball I suppose.

Got it running very well in a VM presently and the overall performance is surprisingly fast compared to El Capitan in a VM on the same hardware so, definitely some serious optimization going on with Sierra. Will try it out on bare metal hardware here in a few days but I suspect it'll beat El Capitan again in terms of performance on the same hardware. No issues noted, just the iTunes update so far, we'll see how it goes. Apple already pushed the 10.12.1 Developer beta so, they're on the ball I suppose.

How is battery life vs capitain?

I have no idea since it's running in a VM as a guest OS - I did own a MacBook Air last year (original model) and had upgraded to Mavericks, then Yosemite, then El Capitan so that's why I'm "qualified" to get Sierra per my iTunes/App Store account.

So, wait, smooth launches are now yawn-worthy? Boy, I bet all those people annoyed with Windows 10 wish they could yawn at an OS release.

So, wait, smooth launches are now yawn-worthy? Boy, I bet all those people annoyed with Windows 10 wish they could yawn at an OS release.
It was both "not system wrecking" and "well, it has a few cute things but.." So yeah, yawn-worthy.

One other thing I noticed, is that unlike previous 10.X upgrades that required an Apple ID, this one doesn't.

I mean it broke sleep in clamshell mode for me...so yeah.

Back