MacOS Update Accidentally Undoes Apple’s “Root” Bug Patch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Multiple Mac users are saying that Apple's fix for High Sierra’s “root” flaw has a serious glitch of its own. Those who had not yet upgraded their operating system from the original version of High Sierra, 10.13.0, to the most recent version, 10.13.1, but had downloaded the patch, say the bug reappears when they install the most recent macOS system update.

Two of those Mac users say they've also tried re-installing Apple's security patch after that upgrade, only to find that the "root" problem still persists until they reboot their computer, with no warning that a reboot is necessary. Even if a Mac user knew to reinstall the security patch after they upgraded High Sierra, they could still be left vulnerable.

62920142008105.jpg

What a gong show. iOS11 is shit too. I only put up with shit cause it's a work phone. It's junk!!

It could be worse, you could forcefully have your system updated only to be greeted with a black screen and endless spinning dots or a recovery boot loop as is quite often the case under Windows 10 - In which case you can't access your operating system at all.

At least Apple as making accessing the OS easier. :LOL:

Had a director freaked out at work, then I told him we have root account enabled with a password. Never was a risk for our systems.

So the companies that make proprietary operating systems are happy to take our money in large quantities, but they're not really happy about putting any of that revenue back into QC - Even though their operating systems aren't really designed from the onset as rolling releases and therefore aren't really suited to it?

Although, I have to say that Apple has far less issues in this regard than MS.

Seems to me Apple needs to spend more time doing QA and security review. I've met several engineers that work for Apple - these guys are generally passionate about their jobs and want to make a good product. So, where is the issue occur (QA, development, tech support (they are probably making these types of fixes - dev usually does new features and only helps TS when they need a hand), ...

So basically this makes perfect sense though... The patch is a "hotfix" in that it applies a fix against the OS. The 10.13.1 update was released a month ago, hence why it doesn't have the "hotfix" in it. Apparently that patch also modifies the login code, which is why it's reverting the hotfix in the first place. So all this comes down to is that after you patch your system, you need to reapply the hotfix and the restart the computer.

All of this is really for naught, nothing was actually broken, but obviously just needs someone to actually either explain in the release notes for the hotfix what to do, or people need to read them. (Which we know they won't) I'd imagine when they push 10.13.2 it will have this patch rolled into it, and all of this will be a moot point.

TL;DR: Everything is working exactly as expected, Apple didn't break anything.

So basically this makes perfect sense though... The patch is a "hotfix" in that it applies a fix against the OS. The 10.13.1 update was released a month ago, hence why it doesn't have the "hotfix" in it. Apparently that patch also modifies the login code, which is why it's reverting the hotfix in the first place. So all this comes down to is that after you patch your system, you need to reapply the hotfix and the restart the computer.

All of this is really for naught, nothing was actually broken, but obviously just needs someone to actually either explain in the release notes for the hotfix what to do, or people need to read them. (Which we know they won't) I'd imagine when they push 10.13.2 it will have this patch rolled into it, and all of this will be a moot point.

TL;DR: Everything is working exactly as expected, Apple didn't break anything.

The latest beta update I installed yesterday fixed the root login.

Back