Macworld 2007 discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't see the point of a 12" MBP. 13.3" MB is small and light enough to carry around and what use is there for discreet graphics on a 12" notebook, none for me. I'm not saying people will not buy it, Apple users will buy anything with the brand logo on it, I'm just saying that I think people who need a highly portable Apple already have a good choice in the MB. On another note there is always the possibility of stealing buyers from higher end MB if the price is too close. Anyway, that's just my $.02, cheers.

I would rather see Apple announce more cool software than announce a 12" MBP, a small mid-tower, or an iphone.

I have no use for that hardware. Software... software, on the other hand, I can use.

I'd like to see a new GUI. It's rumoured that Apple "continues to gloss over the user interface" and that they're going to be going with a black gloss kind of thing. It's leaked codenamed "Illuminous".

This will be exciting as they havent really done anything to renew the UI.

lesman said:
I'd like to see a new GUI. It's rumoured that Apple "continues to gloss over the user interface" and that they're going to be going with a black gloss kind of thing. It's leaked codenamed "Illuminous".

They say they're going to announce the new 'black' UI for Leopard at MacWorld.

lesman said:

What sort of GUI enhancements would you like to see? Apple has made changes, but they've been more thematic to this point. Going from Aqua to Brushed Aluminum, for example.

As a stock holder I want to see an iMoble phone, the streaming iTV box, OSX 10.5 made available (I cannot wait for spaces gimme, gimme, gimme!) and new Mac Pros come out.

Mac Pro sales will pick up as we approach the CS3 release date and faster Mac Pros will slide the current crop of Mac Pros down in price satisfying the desires of the folks that want a stripped down tower with a cheaper Mac Pro tower.

An iMoble phone will capture a pile of sales. I know I'm not the only person who has resisted upgrading their cell phone in anticipation of Apple's phone.

CreativeMac said:
What sort of GUI enhancements would you like to see? Apple has made changes, but they've been more thematic to this point. Going from Aqua to Brushed Aluminum, for example.
I'm just waiting for something new. They've pretty much done simple evolutions of aqua; I'd just like to see something different.

EricTheOracle said:
e and faster Mac Pros will slide the current crop of Mac Pros down in price satisfying the desires of the folks that want a stripped down tower with a cheaper Mac Pro tower.

ahahahahaha. with the price of FB-dimms? no.

EricTheOracle said:
As a stock holder I want to see an iMoble phone, the streaming iTV box, OSX 10.5 made available (I cannot wait for spaces gimme, gimme, gimme!) and new Mac Pros come out.

Mac Pro sales will pick up as we approach the CS3 release date and faster Mac Pros will slide the current crop of Mac Pros down in price satisfying the desires of the folks that want a stripped down tower with a cheaper Mac Pro tower.

An iMoble phone will capture a pile of sales. I know I'm not the only person who has resisted upgrading their cell phone in anticipation of Apple's phone.

In reading about the iPhone, I expect lots of people to buy it, but it seems like too many compromises for a lot of folks. Smallish iPod component (highest capacity I've seen rumored is 8GB). . .no real robust calendar or contact management (PDA features).

I currently carry a mobile phone, Palm, and 40GB iPod (G4). Everything I've read tells me that the iPhone (or whatever Apple chooses to call it) will not be able to consolidate even two of these pieces for me, much less all three. I don't consider myself a power user on any of the three devices, but I absolutely need all three. Considering the price figures I've seen for the proposed phone, and that Apple will likely not allow mobile carriers to subsidize it, it had be able to fill multiple roles for me.

Even giving me a Treo equivalent that doesn't totally suck would thrill me.

I'd like to see the announcement of a 12" lappy more than anything else. But other than the 12", I'd like to see a lot more details about Leopard and the iPhone. I'm really excited about seeing what Apple has in store for us this year!

Considering the 12" PowerBook was functionally equivalent to the 12" iBook in every way except CPU and casing, I'm was never totally sure what role the 12" PowerBook played in the lineup.

For those clamoring for a 12" MacBook Pro , what would you expect the 12" MacBook Pro to do that the current MacBook doesn't? Other than the obvious of display size, that is. I mean Apple isn't going to build something without a reason. Myself, I can't think of any reasons why Apple would feel the need for a 12" MacBook Pro. Myself, coming from a 12" iBook G4 to a MacBook has been fabulous. I wouldn't think of going back.

As an aside, I would be very surprised if the iMac line doesn't see speed bumps. The MacBook Pros are at 2.33GHz - so I'd expect to see that in the top-end iMacs with corresponding speed bumps lower in the line.

"what would you expect the 12" MacBook Pro to do that the current MacBook doesn't? "

Properly accelerated graphics. It'd be a presentation giving gift from the heavens with that on board.

Doug

djellison said:
"what would you expect the 12" MacBook Pro to do that the current MacBook doesn't? "

Properly accelerated graphics.

Doug

The 12" PB had crappy GPUs compared to it's larger brethren.

What makes you think a 12" MBP would be any different?

Tomahawk said:
What makes you think a 12" MBP would be any different?

I'm not saying that they intend to make a 12" MBP, and if they did make one, I'm not saying it will have amazing graphics.

But that's the product I would like them to make, and would change my Mac status from "seriously thinking about it but waiting for a few more months" to "new owner"

Doug

reasons why I bought my 12" powerbook over an ibook at the time

-video spanning
-dedicated graphics chipset
-superdrive
-lighter (slightly)
-better quality display
-faster processor
-compared to powerbook, ibook felt cheap

Obviously a lot has changed since then and the macbook probably hasn't left enough of a gap for there to be a 12" macbook pro. Just my $.02 though

CreativeMac said:
In reading about the iPhone, I expect lots of people to buy it, but it seems like too many compromises for a lot of folks. Smallish iPod component (highest capacity I've seen rumored is 8GB). . .no real robust calendar or contact management (PDA features).

I currently carry a mobile phone, Palm, and 40GB iPod (G4). Everything I've read tells me that the iPhone (or whatever Apple chooses to call it) will not be able to consolidate even two of these pieces for me, much less all three. I don't consider myself a power user on any of the three devices, but I absolutely need all three. Considering the price figures I've seen for the proposed phone, and that Apple will likely not allow mobile carriers to subsidize it, it had be able to fill multiple roles for me.

Even giving me a Treo equivalent that doesn't totally suck would thrill me.

What I've heard is that Apple's phone is a moble version of OSX and that we can expect a tight integration between the dockable phone and Apple branded applications. If so, I imagine that I could dump my email contact list to the phone and when I return from being out and about sync up my phone with my desktop. Moreover, if the foul-mouthed Digg kid is correct, then the new phone will have two batteries one for the mp3 player and one for the phone so that listening to toe-tappers will not run down the battery of the phone.

The basic idea of the phone is to move the playing field out from under other cell phone OEMs where in their smart phone offerings are complex little computers with little integration with your desktop applications to a tightly integrated experience where the "smart" remains on the desktop (like iTunes is to the iPod) and the phone becomes an appliance that plugs into the "brains."

There is speculation with in the communications sector that if Apple's expected implimentation is successful, that they could capture as much as 10% market share in three years.

djellison said:

Properly accelerated graphics. It'd be a presentation giving gift from the heavens with that on board.

Doug

Doug> I guess I still miss your point. Do you really expect to see that much difference between a Radeon or nVidia chipset over the MacBook when using PowerPoint or Keynote? When I think of things that will tax a GPU, presentation apps don't immediately come to mind. That said, have you used a MacBook? I mean it does both spanning and mirroring and while I was initially skeptical of the "integrated graphics", in actual use the whole machine seems inifinitely more snappy than the 1.25GHz iBook I moved from.

Seriously, unless you're playing games I think the MacBook will be fine. If presentations are your hot button, then throw some onto a pen drive or CD and try them out on a MB at the Apple Store before you buy.

I'm expecting C2D Mac Minis, which is why I didn't buy one for Christmas. A different integrated graphics model would be an even more welcome improvement.

CreativeMac said:
then throw some onto a pen drive or CD and try them out on a MB at the Apple Store before you buy.

I've done exactly that. I agree, for almost all purposes, an MB is fine. I have a few requirements that just tax it too far, that's all.

Doug

djellison said:
I've done exactly that. I agree, for almost all purposes, an MB is fine. I have a few requirements that just tax it too far, that's all.

Doug

Such as?

3ds max under Bootcamp, a piece of software called Midnight Mars Browser that struggles without good hardware acceleration.

I'm almost certainly going down the 15" MBP route in the next 6 months, but if a 12" were to appear, I would take that in a second.

Doug

djellison said:
3ds max under Bootcamp, a piece of software called Midnight Mars Browser that struggles without good hardware acceleration.

I'm almost certainly going down the 15" MBP route in the next 6 months, but if a 12" were to appear, I would take that in a second.

Doug

While the Mars rover images from Midmight Mars Browser may be OK with a 12" display, I have a hard time imagining any 3D modeling software (such as 3ds Max) being fun to use with a 12" display.

While I admit there are occasional cases where an discrete GPU is needed, I've found that virtually everyone needing a GPU also really needs the extra screen real estate of a 15" as well.

I hope MacWorld brings everyone what they want.

some of us want a fairly powerful comp in the small form facter. i take my dell 700m to class with me, fits great as its about the side of a 3 subject notebook. but it bogs down on some tasks, and i could see the macbook doing the same thing.

So you guys basically want an imac minus the screen? I'm fine with the imac cuz it gives me a great reason to buy an apple cinema display when otherwise, I wouldn't spend that much on a display.

What I've heard is that Apple's phone is a moble version of OSX and that we can expect a tight integration between the dockable phone and Apple branded applications. If so, I imagine that I could dump my email contact list to the phone and when I return from being out and about sync up my phone with my desktop. Moreover, if the foul-mouthed Digg kid is correct, then the new phone will have two batteries one for the mp3 player and one for the phone so that listening to toe-tappers will not run down the battery of the phone.

The basic idea of the phone is to move the playing field out from under other cell phone OEMs where in their smart phone offerings are complex little computers with little integration with your desktop applications to a tightly integrated experience where the "smart" remains on the desktop (like iTunes is to the iPod) and the phone becomes an appliance that plugs into the "brains."

There is speculation with in the communications sector that if Apple's expected implimentation is successful, that they could capture as much as 10% market share in three years.

I think thats a brilliant strategy. I'm assuming that software will run on PCs as well?

Why aren't you guys updating this thread? I thought you all would be excited to the point of messing your pants?
I want juicy news tidbits dang nabbit! :p

Well, the latest is that when Apple announces iWork '07, it will finally contain a spreadsheet application. If iWork is robust enough and seamlessly handles .doc, .xls, and .ppt documents, I think there's a chance it will sell. I've used Office on the Mac since Office 4.2 and while I like Office 2004 apps, I find that they have about 6054 features I really don't need.

What I think would be funny is if Apple puts out iWork '07 and it handles MS' new Office 2007 XML documents before MS makes the converters available to Office 2004 users.

Well, the latest is that when Apple announces iWork '07, it will finally contain a spreadsheet application. If iWork is robust enough and seamlessly handles .doc, .xls, and .ppt documents, I think there's a chance it will sell. I've used Office on the Mac since Office 4.2 and while I like Office 2004 apps, I find that they have about 6054 features I really don't need.

What I think would be funny is if Apple puts out iWork '07 and it handles MS' new Office 2007 XML documents before MS makes the converters available to Office 2004 users.

That would be cool. I hate the MS monopoly. The only thing that is going to make me buy vista is the dx10 and pc games. Other than I'm heavily leaning toward the possibility of buying an apple product (finally) sometime this year.

That would be cool. I hate the MS monopoly. The only thing that is going to make me buy vista is the dx10 and pc games. Other than I'm heavily leaning toward the possibility of buying an apple product (finally) sometime this year.

Well, I would mind MS' monopoly on Office apps a lot less if they'd give me a product where I didn't spend the first half-hour after install disabling features I don't need.

I will say part of it isn't MS' fault. All software companies stay in business by continually selling software, which means regularly producing new versions (where they charge for upgrades) - presumably containing cool new gee-wiz features each time. The problem is that since Office 98, Word and Excel have become so bloated with features, they're unnecessarily hard to use. I don't mind change, but it should be useful change. Seriously, have you tried using a default install of Word 2004 on a 12" PowerBook/iBook? With all the default toolbars they put up, you're left with like 10 lines of viewable text in your document.

I think Adobe has done a much better job with this. I would consider myself a novice Photoshop and Illustrator user, going back to 1995 (PS v5.02 & AI8). I know they've added a ton of features to Photoshop in the time between 5.0.2 and CS2 - but the app has remained just as usable to me because all those new features were there but not rammed down my throat.

However, if Apple thinks they're going to get away with iWork being as mediocre as AppleWorks 6.x, then their resources would be better used elsewhere.

I want a 12" MBP with dedicated graphics, that is what would get me to own a mac.

I have used a MB and I dont like it. I think the keyboard and overall design is crap. I like the design of the MBP's however.

I know its only barely day 1 but so far some of the tech reporters aren't impressed with what has been shown so far by the CES crowd.
I'm hoping that Apple will cause some excitement tommorow.......I really really do. :cool:

Widescreen ipod... It's the last apple product I need for a good 2 years.

But... I doubt it. The rumer sites are silent.

Widescreen ipod... It's the last apple product I need for a good 2 years.

But... I doubt it. The rumer sites are silent.

Well, even though it would be very cool in general I personally am not looking for a iphone. Perhaps if it can browse the web wirelessly maybe. But I'm looking for a widescreen ipod with a few extra functions.
I really really hope the video ipod will be unveiled tommorow. :(

Well, even though it would be very cool in general I personally am not looking for a iphone. Perhaps if it can browse the web wirelessly maybe.

An iPhone would be great if it could surf the web not only through the cell phone service provider but also with the help of Wi-Fi (802.11b). It would save people $ on use and allow you to download from iTunes real easily.

An iPhone would be great if it could surf the web not only through the cell phone service provider but also with the help of Wi-Fi (802.11b). It would save people $ on use and allow you to download from iTunes real easily.

Thing is cities like San Francisco will have city wide wifi very soon. And what about WiMax?
Thats the way of the future imo.

I would really like to see a Core 2 Duo Mini to spend some of my tax return $$ on.

Ga! The keynot was over almost 40 minutes ago. The Apple website is usually updated by now...

Yea, I just came back to edit my post that I was a day ahead of schedule.

Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back