:mad: :omg: Arghh..*C2D Rant*

OneStepAhead

Weaksauce
OK. I have waited over three months for my first ever computer setup. After much research, I ordered my parts and was excited for this Saturday Morning when I would have it built by my dad's friend (Lead tech for the NBA). My budget was $1000 and here is my complete list of parts.

Core 2 Duo E6300
ASUS P5B Motherboard
Corsair XMS DDR2-800 2GB RAM
PNY Geforce 7600GT (Hope it isn't a bottleneck)
BenQ DVD-RW Drive
Lite-On DVD-ROM Drive
Lian Li PC-61 Case
FSP Power Supply
Seagate 320 GB HD

This total came out to rougly $1000, when later I had to purchase an Operating System, Norton Internet Security, Wireless Card etc...probably totaling to about $1200 (I have a monitor. 17'' HP LCD). Well I got a very nice break and got all the things I needed for basically nothing, however after the computer was successfully built, we took another look at the processor and the default heatsink broke ( :mad: ) So now, I am going to have to buy another heatsink and might have some money to burn. I think I will get:

Big Typhoon HS&F (What Heatsink and Fan do you recommend? Would love to go cheaper, but I still want quality)

Now, If I have about $200 to spend. What do you recommend I buy with it (No upgrades). Thinking about new HD, sound card etc...

/rant

Scythe Infinity i would advise you and you can buy it from the US , i am in the UK and we cannot , I have used the freezer pro on the E6300 and after its overclcoked to 2.76ghz it goes from 40c idle to 46c load.

The infinty it will be 32c idle and 39c load.

I didn't see a sound card on that list, so you might consider upgrading, especially if you like to play games, listen to music, watch movies, or participate in any other speaker utilizing activities. :)

whrswoldo said:
I didn't see a sound card on that list, so you might consider upgrading, especially if you like to play games, listen to music, watch movies, or participate in any other speaker utilizing activities. :)
Agree with you , takes the load of the cpu and boosts overall performance.

The minute I saw Norton Internet Security I thought this was a case of user error.

^^Is there a better Internet Security Program?

I am a novice at building computers/parts but am learning rather quickley. So please, enlighten me :eek: .

And yes, the heatsink is broken, it doesn't even fit in because of broken plastic pieces on the bottom. I'm just too lazy to send the whole chip back to ClubIT.

Any good sound cards for cheap? I really have no money on my budget left, unless i cut out the HD and get a Sound Card.

Scythe Infinity vs. Big Typhoon? Hmm...

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security. It's often times recommended as the best. But before that, I would definitely recommend to avoid Norton. Very intrusive and resource heavy, not to mention buggy.

For a HSF, I'd recommend something with screws instead of latches(?). The LGA775 mounting system, while secure, is notorious for making bad contacts. Concave IHS doesn't help either. With screws you actually get a little more control over the contact between HSF and IHS. Just be careful not to tighten too much.

lopri said:
I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security. It's often times recommended as the best. But before that, I would definitely recommend to avoid Norton. Very intrusive and resource heavy, not to mention buggy.

For a HSF, I'd recommend something with screws instead of latches(?). The LGA775 mounting system, while secure, is notorious for making bad contacts. Concave IHS doesn't help either. With screws you actually get a little more control over the contact between HSF and IHS. Just be careful not to tighten too much.

Yeah, I love the mounting system on the Swiftech's. Really, really easy.

When I mounted my ASUS Silent Square I thought sure I was going to bust the board right in half with the amount of pressure needed to latch that SOB! :D

Get a Scythe Ninja with the free fan.

And don't user Norton's Internet Security. I used it for years, IT DOESN'T WORK! I have seen systems with NIS been completely hijacked despite the "protection," and infected with viruses to the point of neededing a new Windows install, and seen systems with X-rated material despite the "filter". NORTONS DOES NOT WORK, all it does is consume an ungodly ammount of system resources: the service itself consumes over 128MB of memory! While idling!!! Don't use that piece of crap man, you will regret it. I would hate to see you ruin a C2D system with a piece of crap Norton product.

This CPU fan....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118115

Its super quiet and does an great job of cooling. The quality is exellent. Its mounting is very solid. The Big Typhoon is a pain to install but it does cool well and is also quiet. Make sure you have enough room for the BIG Typhoon if you go that route it....its HUGE!

I agree on the sound card. IMHO the Audigy 2 value is all you need. That new XFI stuff is still buggy and does not get you much of anything. With the latest drivers the Audigy 2 is rock solid and supported by everything.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102175

I would recommend the sycthe ninja or infinity. Great cooler and good mounting and price.

So let me get this straight? Is Norton AntiVirus good, but Internet Security is bad? Should Download Kaspersky right when I get my computer hooked up? Is Kaspersky freeware?

I want to keep my budget under $100 here as I already have spent enough.

I want this to include

Heatsink and Fan -- Big Tyhoon, Schyte Infinity/Ninja (Still debating)
Sound Card -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829120103

If there is a better soundcard for preferably under $50, let me know.

Also, I was debating getting an extra HD. I found a 250GB for $65 which is a great deal and I want to jump. But if i do, I will most likely downgrade the sound card to $30 Limit and maybe even go for a cheaper HS&F. Let me know what you all think

Ok, I got a 80GB HD, Scythe Ninja and a Creative Sound Card

untitled8wd8.png

I'd say that was pretty good budgeting? Agree?

Go for it but if you can find the Scythe Infinty it would be a bit more wiser

I owuld have gotten a larger HD, something at least 160GB, but if 80GB is enough for you then that's fine.

Avoid any and all Symantec programs. If you're going to pay for protection software get Kaspersky, otherwise use AVG as an antivirus since it's free. Use Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D to get rid of spyware. I use AVG and those two spyware apps, and it keeps my system running clean. The last Symantec program I kept using was Ghost, but after having it botch a transfer I switched over to Acronis' products, which I find are much better.

Back