Mafia II demo.

so is it full open world like GTA4 where you can do whatever you want? Or linear? In the sense that you go from mission to mission, or can you just drive around and do side missions and stuff?

so is it full open world like GTA4 where you can do whatever you want? Or linear? In the sense that you go from mission to mission, or can you just drive around and do side missions and stuff?

Seems like you can hit the world as you want even if you're "on quest" as long as there's no clock. In the demo, obviously, they put a clock on you but in that time frame I could go anywhere I want. :)

1) The game looks good with AA/AF on. It's not Crysis 2, but it looks much better than the console version
2) 3D Vision Surround didn't render the floor or ceiling for me. Damn. That will surely be fixed
3) I returned my GTS 250 and no longer have a dedicated PhysX card. It just wasn't worth it. I didn't add enough to the game to justify the cost of the GTS 250. Granted, it would have had to look Just Cause 2 / Crysis good to justify the GTS 250, and this game clearly does compare to those graphical standards.

I can't wait to play the full version. I hacked the timer so I have unlimited play and driving / running from / battling cops / robbing / finding playboys is a blast. :-D

I can't wait to play the full version. I hacked the timer so I have unlimited play and driving / running from / battling cops / robbing / finding playboys is a blast. :-D

You'll need to share that information sir. I'm at work and too lazy to google right now. Thanks in advance.

Seems like you can hit the world as you want even if you're "on quest" as long as there's no clock. In the demo, obviously, they put a clock on you but in that time frame I could go anywhere I want. :)

I did find that once you're in a quest you can't walk away from it. In the alley, before you enter the distillery, if you try to walk down the street Vito will turn around.

I was trying to find a way to get the tommy gun and go on a rampage on the streets !

I did find that once you're in a quest you can't walk away from it. In the alley, before you enter the distillery, if you try to walk down the street Vito will turn around.

I was trying to find a way to get the tommy gun and go on a rampage on the streets !

Right. If you're IN the quest, you're stuck. En route you're free.

you can't jump?

No, you can't jump. In the demo I never had a situation where I felt I needed to.

Incidentally, the "taking cover" setup is good.

you can't jump?

if you walk up to a car you can jump on it.

Oh and did anyone notice you can bribe the cops? And if you walk up to a phone booth with a wanted level you can call someone to clear your wanted level for $$$.

Last edited:
if you walk up to a car you can jump on it.

Oh and did anyone notice you can bribe the cops? And if you walk up to a phone booth with a wanted level you can call someone to clear your wanted level for $$$.

You can bribe them if you get pulled over too. Just like in Mafia 1

all i can say is wow what a piece of shit.. graphics are so-so enabling AA doesnt look that good and enabling physx kills frames. Did i mention that it doesnt look that good. this is a maybe buy for $9.99 game for me.

all i can say is wow what a piece of shit.. graphics are so-so enabling AA doesnt look that good and enabling physx kills frames. Did i mention that it doesnt look that good. this is a maybe buy for $9.99 game for me.

lol.

graphics are amazing what you smoking blad?

graphics are amazing what you smoking blad?

they are decent.. but amazing no. and installing this game kills physx mod BTW. and when you exit the game desktop is dark till you run another app that resets the viceo card. with out physx my average is 100 fps,still a 9.99 title.

To prove that the difference isn't that great. Especially between 360 and PS3.

Who did the comparison? You?
no I didn't but I have compared other games and the console versions are always blurry and dull looking on my monitor compared to the pc versions. just to be clear I have compared the same games on the same 1080 monitor just switching back and forth between pc(dvi) and hdmi(360) and its no contest. I am sure if they were both compared on a lower res monitor it would be a bit closer.

they are decent.. but amazing no. and installing this game kills physx mod BTW. and when you exit the game desktop is dark till you run another app that resets the viceo card. with out physx my average is 100 fps,still a 9.99 title.

So you reckon a PC game with cutting edge graphics is worth $50. A game with a more reasonable system requirement is worth $10? Do you value gameplay whatsoever? Why not just go run some uber tesselation benchmark over and over while masturbating?

So you reckon a PC game with cutting edge graphics is worth $50. A game with a more reasonable system requirement is worth $10? Do you value gameplay whatsoever? Why not just go run some uber tesselation benchmark over and over while masturbating?

It's a GTA4 copy, IMO. So... not a lot of new stuff. I'll try it out more when I reassemble my PC :p

your f-ing kidding right? i'm not talking about running benchmarks. there are plenty of awsome looking games with great gameplay, i just dont think this is one of them. i could care less about benches. i just expect more from these games. the demo is just not mind blowing i hope the full game is better. And ok maybe $10 is a stretch i'd say 29.99 tops

Last edited:
no I didn't but I have compared other games and the console versions are always blurry and dull looking on my monitor compared to the pc versions. just to be clear I have compared the same games on the same 1080 monitor just switching back and forth between pc(dvi) and hdmi(360) and its no contest. I am sure if they were both compared on a lower res monitor it would be a bit closer.

Still don't know where the images are from. Unless I missed it.

Honestly you can't run a ps3 or 360 on a shitty computer monitor, or probably any monitor for that matter.

I have my ps3 and 360 hooked up to a 42" samsung plasma and it looks great. You can't compare shit when you're not even doing a proper comparison.

Still don't know where the images are from. Unless I missed it.

Honestly you can't run a ps3 or 360 on a shitty computer monitor, or probably any monitor for that matter.

I have my ps3 and 360 hooked up to a 42" samsung plasma and it looks great. You can't compare shit when you're not even doing a proper comparison.
if you run the pc version on that same tv it will look much better so whats your point? even you know console games are not really 1080 so of course a pc version of the same game will look better even if all other things are equal because its really in 1080.

I would love to see you get an average 60+ fps with those settings and the system in your sig. My average with same settings is 33fps. And yes i re installed the physx drivers

if you tried the benchmark then yes average in it is 37FPS with these settings but if you go around the city and do some stuff it's actually all 55fps+

LOL at people trying to compare the PS3 and XBOX versions to PC. The consoles don't come anywhere close to the PC and it's idiotic to even compare them.

Mafia 2 on a 42" 1080p TV, being rendered at 540p, viewed from a distance of 10 feet is going to look just as good as a 1080p monitor, rendering at 1080p, viewed from a distance of 2 feet. However, the difference is the PC gamer is going to have MUCH more detail available to his eyes. This is SD vs HD all over again.

You'll need to share that information sir. I'm at work and too lazy to google right now. Thanks in advance.

I never download modded exe's from untrusted sources. Here's how to make the edit yourself:

Download HxD or XVI32 (I prefer XVI32), which are free hex editors.

Press "Open file"
Browse to Folder Steam\steamapps\common\mafia ii - public demo\pc and open mafia2.exe
You will see a lot of digits and letters if all went good.
Search on the left for 000F5380
Find D9 56 4C within that line and edit this to 90 90 90
Save file.
Open mafia2.exe and enjoy Mafia 2 demo without the 10 minute gameplay limit!

Note: Make sure you always make a backup of mafia2.exe incase you do something wrong!

I hope I'm not breaking the rules of [H] by posting this. :eek:

Last edited:
if you run the pc version on that same tv it will look much better so whats your point? even you know console games are not really 1080 so of course a pc version of the same game will look better even if all other things are equal because its really in 1080.

My point is simple. Every time a big multi-platform game comes around everyone posts comparison shots and the PS3 always look shitty.

But the reality is that it doesn't.

Sometimes there are differences, but they are for the most part very minor.

The games very rarely look blurry, washed out, etc.

It's just a misrepresentation I'm sick of.

Probably only me but I am not going to be purchasing this title for the graphics. I did not play Mafia I solely on graphics and I am not going to do the same on this. Sure graphics matter but maybe I have just gotten older enough where its not the only thing that holds me to a title.

Been playing on my 7950GT and even on low settings, the frame rate is too low to even enjoy the game..:mad:

Time to come out of the Stone Age. No offense but I'm looking at your sig and I'm amazed you could even run the game at all. You're well overdue for an upgrade or a new system outright my friend. :)

Probably only me but I am not going to be purchasing this title for the graphics. I did not play Mafia I solely on graphics and I am not going to do the same on this. Sure graphics matter but maybe I have just gotten older enough where its not the only thing that holds me to a title.

Definitely not. I think the game looks great and look forward to it.

Time to come out of the Stone Age. No offense but I'm looking at your sig and I'm amazed you could even run the game at all. You're well overdue for an upgrade or a new system outright my friend. :)

Haha, yeah i updated my sig. I actually upgraded to a Q6600. I doubt my old venice would even have a chance. But I guess my 7950 is old and I guess ill have to upgrade soon.

Haha, yeah i updated my sig. I actually upgraded to a Q6600. I doubt my old venice would even have a chance. But I guess my 7950 is old and I guess ill have to upgrade soon.

Ah. That's good. RAM (if still current that was in your sig) and GPU desperately need upgrade and then you're rockin'. :)

Back