Mag 3 vs. Mag 5

Dark Ember

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, just a quick question out there for you Danner owners that have used both of these pumps. From my understanding, the Mag7 puts out a lot more heat into the water than the 3's and 5's do. So, I was wondering if any of you knew how much more heat the 5's put in the water as opposed to 3's. Oh, and if theres any other obvious reason to get a 3 over a 5, that would be nice too. :)

Only reason to get a 3 over a 5 is the slightly smaller size of the 3. Yes, heat output is a little lower too.... but honestly, the 5 is just overkill.

When in an actual setup, the Mag3 and Mag5 will push the exact same amount of flow. The Mag5 costs more and makes your water hotter, it's larger, and chews up more power adding to your electricity bill.

I cannot think of a single reason why anyone would ever choose a Mag5 over a Mag3 for computer water cooling.

What a Mag5 does have is higher wide-open flow rates, which is good for ponds and the like. As soon as you stick a waterblock on it though it'll give the same flow-rates as a Mag3.

Avoid the Mag5. The Mag3 is better suited for computer water cooling in every conceivable way.

What about with the added flow restriction of a northbridge block in addition to the CPU block. I was thinking of getting a 5, because I thought that the higher flow rates and higher head would help compensate for the added restriction of a chipset block a bit.

But, if you are saying that the pressures are the same, and the only difference is in wide open flow rates, then I guess I should get a 3. Anyone else have any opinions?

Back