Major Bluetooth and Wifi Issues with my Asus F3SV

Kris

Gawd
I'm having some major issues with my Asus F3SV notebook utilizing Bluetooth / Wifi.

Under Windows Vista and when booting from an Ubuntu live CD, both recognize my wireless adapter (which is a Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG) but neither can utilize it. Under Vista when I attempt to turn Wifi on or off it just pops up saying "Wifi Off" "Bluetooth Off" and won't go to any other status. In the Vista Mobility Center I cannot enable to disable Wifi or Bluetooth.

While under Ubuntu I can also not utilize Wifi as it doesn't give me the option but it does see both networking controllers (a Gigabit Ethernet adapter and the Intel Wireless).

So the drivers are loading for these devices and the computer can see them but I am unable to utilize it under either OS. This immediately sounds like a hardware issue but I'm not sure what the problem is or if there is a remedy without sending it in.

Though, I should mention that I didn't attempt to install any additional drivers under Ubuntu to get it to work so it could be a Vista issue (would I need to install drivers or would Ubuntu automatically recognize it?).

Any thoughts?

I have been working on a new Asus M50SV-A1 just purchased for a good friend of mine. It has no problems...however in all my efforts of setting it up and customizing it I did notice that for your issue; you may have overlooked one small thing that may "enable" your Wi-Fi & Bluetooth.

Besides double checking in the BIOS to make sure they are enabled....I noticed that at least on my Asus keyboard that their is a function hotkey that enables/disables each or both Wi-Fi & Bluetooth. That function key process is done by pressing the "Fn + "F2" key simultaneously until the desired option of enabling or disabling Wi=Fi & Bluetooth is achieved.

The actual "F2" keyboard key on my Asus laptop shows a small "i" looking like a miniature antenna icon. Being that you have a different Asus model maybe it operates on similar principal as mine.

Hope that helps you out. Good luck :D

Controls: Keyboard:
  • Full-size 88-key regular non-curved keyboard
  • Inverted "T" cursor layout with 4 cursor keys
  • 19mm spacing, 2.5mm key travel
  • 12 function keys with these extra actions:
    • Fn+F1 Suspend switch
    • Fn+F2 Wireless (Bluetooth) switch
    • Fn+F3 E-mail
    • Fn+F4 Internet
    • Fn+F5 Brightness down
    • Fn+F6 Brightness up
    • Fn+F7 LCD on/off
    • Fn+F8 LCD/CRT switch display
    • Fn+F9 Touch Pad lock
    • Fn+F10 Volume on/mute
    • Fn+F11 Volume down
    • Fn+F12 Volume up
    • Fn+Space Power 4 Gear+
    • Fn+C Splendid

I'm well aware of the function keys. This: "Under Vista when I attempt to turn Wifi on or off it just pops up saying "Wifi Off" "Bluetooth Off" and won't go to any other status" was my attempt at using it.

I had always used the function keys just fine and all of a sudden it just stopped working one day.

I also noticed under Vista I now get an unknown device in the Device Manager and I remember seeing an error regarding... ISTAPI.... something similar looking to that.

Well, it was a long shot. Did not know your expertise level or if you knew about the hotkeys/functions keys. Well, before just doing an updated driver install of everything...you could try to use the systems "System Protection" "System Restore" features to roll back to a time when it did work assuming you had them turned on.

Other than that I would download the latest drivers for everything available from the intel inf chipset, to video, bluetooth, wi-fi, lan, camera anything everything and one by one update them and see if that 1st removes the unknown device in your device manager and possibly makes your wi-fi/bluetooth work again. After that final idea is fresh install via recovery disk or from scratch.....& lastly if still no go...admit defeat and call it in as hardware level failure and send in for repair.

May have overlooked something but that is what first comes to mind for me. Anyways, not much more I can offer but I wish you the best in getting it fixed. Later :cool:

Other than that I would download the latest drivers for everything available from the intel inf chipset, to video, bluetooth, wi-fi, lan, camera anything everything and one by one update them and see if that 1st removes the unknown device in your device manager and possibly makes your wi-fi/bluetooth work again.
Unfortunately I have already tried this :(

I'm thinking I may do a format and reinstall to verify if it's a hardware issue or not.

Thanks for trying. I was hoping others went through the same issue and there was a common fix but it would appear I'm not that lucky.

Back