Major drop in Temps after updating BIOS??

honestjohn

Gawd
This is going sound like a dumb question to you guys that have been doing this for years, but I just moved from AGP and built my first PCI-E based rig over the weekend using a E6600/GA-P35C-DS3R Motherboard.

Anyway, the past two days I have been screwing around with some overclocking and was getting concerned about my temps which were 35c idle and 80c after running Orthos for 10 min. using blend or small fft. Same temps even regardless of overclock. I'm currently using the stock heatsink/fan with Zalman Thermal Compound. Had made the decision to pickup the Arctic 7 Freezer Pro and then decided to update my BIOS. I updated from the original F3 BIOS to the F4E Beta and my temps are now reading 33 idle and only 56c under full load overclocked to 3.0 Ghz. in Orthos and I'm now up to 40 min. I know they aren't the best temps. But why the big drop in temps aft6er the BIOS Flash.

Please be gentle. For the past several years I have been using AMD CPU's and motherboards which were not overclocker friendly and my last Intel Processor was a Pentium 133 Mhz. No shit.

Can't really say for sure but I'd have to say your mobo was reporting the wrong temps before the update. I Don't think a chip would last too long at 80C.

Id wager to say that the bios that you had previously didnt read temps properly, and it was fixed in an update. Ive had the same problem with alot of my boards in the past when they ship with an early bios.

the new temps look about normal for a C2D imo

Another example of why one pretty much has to take BIOS temp readins with a grain of salt. However, the advantage of C2D's is the on die sensor, so use it :cool:.

Another example of why one pretty much has to take BIOS temp readins with a grain of salt. However, the advantage of C2D's is the on die sensor, so use it :cool:.

Yeah thanks, I'm well aware of how on-die temp sensors work. :cool: Those were not the BIOS temp readings I was giving. Those were the temps as being reported by Speedfan and the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool before and after the BIOS Flash.

Thanks to everyone else in this thread for your thoughts though. I was thinking possibly the CPU Fan wasn't ramping up as it should under load, but you guys are probably right. Likely just a BIOS bug.

Back