Major ISSUE: APC BackUPS RS-1000 not giving backup

kidoman

n00b
Hi guys,

I recently changed my Power Supply to a FSP Fortron FX-700GLN. The power supply has been performing superbly (u can check my review of it here: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/fsp-fortron-source-fx700-gln-review-70531.html)

The problem:

Now my USP (BackUPS RS-1000) is going into "Overload" (the Red overload light is blinking) whenever the mains power supply trips. I checked VIA the PowerChute Software and the PC is taking in around 220W in idle (19" monitor included.) As soon as I even switch the mains supply off, the UPS immediately goes into "Overload" and the red light starts blinking.

The SAME UPS was powering the exact same computers sans the FSP + a CoolerMaster RealPower 450W effortlessly.

What is notable is that initially (like for 4-5 days) the APC was providing backup but I was getting "chirping" noises from the monitor as well as the PSU when it was on backup power.

from the APC site:
APC said:
If the Overload Led is flashing CONTINUOUSLY, this may indicate an internal

fault with the UPS. If this is the case, please contact APC's Technical

Support.

I am totally confused as to what to do. Please help.

Regards,

Karan Misra

I've had the exact same problem (including tripping the circuit breaker) twice now with the RS1000. Call APC and they'll set you up with a replacement. What has me worried is that I'm out of warranty in September :(

EDIT: Another interesting coincidence is that my problems first started after upgrading from an Antec 400W to the Seasonic 600W now in my system. But yeah, I've killed two battery backups in 6 months now.

Wow,

I thought my UPS's was just getting old, so I replaced the batteries. I have two seasonic s12 600 on a APC 1400 and it just goes on overload. On another APC 1400 I have 4 x2's with various PSU's, none with active PFC. Maybe something with APC UPS's and active PFC don't play well together. I was under the impression that active PFC would help battery runtime on a UPS.

This has nothing to do with Powerchute. It goes into overload mode when you turn the computer on.

I just had the exact same thing happen to mine! The only thing I could do to shut it up was to take the battery out of it. I came to the conclusion that it was fried and picked up this

What really ticked me off is that the first time it happened, they sent me a new unit with a UPS shipping label to send it back. This time, they gave me some BS about doing that only in the first 30 days of ownership and made me pay to send it back to them :mad:

I think once this one goes out of warranty I will be taking my business elsewhere since the problem is obviously widespread.

Back