major prob with k8n neo 2 mb

slimbo

n00b
putting new system together and im having issues. if i install one 512 mb ram module in the first dimm the system wont even boot to bios. if i put 512 in the first dimm and 512 in the second dimm, it still wont boot. if i put one 512 in the first dimm and one in the third it boots finally! but im going thru the installation and getting blue screens saying page fault. then it says dumping physical memory and then says done and then rboots again totally messing up my o\s install. this is driving me nuts. any ideas guys?

is this a fresh build? have you tried using only dimm slots 3/4? please provide the full specs on the rig you are assembling, including all parts.

yes it is a fresh build, i tries also slots 3 and 4 but i cant even get a a boot to bios there either. its a msi k8n neo 2 plat board, xp 3200 939 pin proc, 1 gb (2 x 512) corsair value select ram, 9800 xt radeon vid card.coolpower 450 watt p\s. lian li pc-65 case. western dig 80 gig sata drive. everything seems to be working fine except the fact that the ram is only running at 166 mhz. andf i cant get the ram to boot in any configuration besides one in slot 1 and one in slot 3. plus once in a while i get a blue screen that says memory management is the reason the system is shutting down. any help is appreciated

I also have a MSI K8N Neo2 platinum and Corsair Value Select, had to RMA my first one. When I talked to the support guy he told me they have had lots of problems with Corsair memory on these boards, on some they work and on some they won't.

(The problem I had was not memory related, the boards was simply broken. The new one works perfectly :) )

You really should try with another memory module if you can. Also try testing the memory for errors.

What bios version do you have? Older versions are pretty fussy about ram. Update to 1.4 if you can (you'll probably have to do it manually from floppy with just one strip of ram in).

Your ram could theoretically be bad (test with memtest86), but it's unlikely.

it was the ram. i returned it and got crucial ballistix. now it runs sweet

Dont buy RAM modules from companies that dont produce chips themselves !

Corsair, Geil, Kingston, etc. buy parts from
Infineon, Samsung, Micron, Mosel Vitelic, and others.

It has become a habbit of some companies like Corsair, Geil, etc. to
handselect (as they call it) or in other words Overclock Chips from
major chip-producers to the max and sell them as something they arent
designed for.
They even put on unremovable "heatsinks" so you cannot see they used
(for example) DDR-333 chips and exploited the reserves so they could
sell as DDR-466 !!!

Usualy these Ram modules have no reserves anymore ( max OC´ed) while
original (for example) Samsung RAM modules have very good reserves (quality) and
you can OC them yourself surprisingly high !

Charon said:
Dont buy RAM modules from companies that dont produce chips themselves !

Corsair, Geil, Kingston, etc. buy parts from
Infineon, Samsung, Micron, Mosel Vitelic, and others.

It has become a habbit of some companies like Corsair, Geil, etc. to
handselect (as they call it) or in other words Overclock Chips from
major chip-producers to the max and sell them as something they arent
designed for.
They even put on unremovable "heatsinks" so you cannot see they used
(for example) DDR-333 chips and exploited the reserves so they could
sell as DDR-466 !!!

Usualy these Ram modules have no reserves anymore ( max OC´ed) while
original (for example) Samsung RAM modules have very good reserves (quality) and
you can OC them yourself surprisingly high !
Can you support this statement?

Back