Major system problem- update

randy5554

Limp Gawd
Whenever I turn on my computer, I get no video output. Sometimes I can fix it by taking out the video card and sticking it back in. Lately, that has not worked. I contacted Antec because many here suggested it might be a PSU problem. They gave me a test to conduct to see if the PSU could power up just the motherboard. It worked, so now I'm not sure if it's the PSU or something more video specific (maybe the card itself or the PCI-E slot on the motherboard is messed up).

My full specs are:
Antec Smartpower 2.0 450 Watt PSU (included with Sonata II case)
ASUS A8N-SLI
A64 3000+ Venice (slightly overclocked to 2.15 Ghz)
eVGA 7800 GT (overclocked to 465/1.14 using Coolbits)
Western Digital 250 GB Sata 16Mb hard drive (don't remember exact specs)
Seagate 300 GB IDE hard drive
2 IDE optical drives
1 Floppy
2 GB Crucial Value RAM
and several other rear expansion slots

Is this PSU no longer good enough for my system? Should I email eVGA or ASUS for an RMA? Any opinions would be nice. Thanks.

I remember a thread from a few days ago about this. They said it was the PSU. Do a search and find the thread.

I have actualy had the same thing happen before and it was the PSU (antec bradn as well coicidently)

I have seen both of those threads. So the consensus is that I should buy a new different PSU rather than RMA the Antec one?

I would suggest that you borrow a psu from a friend and try it in your system before commiting to buying a new one. ;)

D3v01D said:
I would suggest that you borrow a psu from a friend and try it in your system before commiting to buying a new one. ;)
Yep, I'm taking everything out one by one and testing components one at a time, listening for those motherboard beep codes.

I'll see what happens.

Are you sure the vid card is being completely inserted into the slot?

I ask this because I have a similar problem with a machine I have, although mine is a lot older. After doing some looking (and knowing the case the parts are in is a POS) I found the vid card wasn't always all the way in. I had put a new mobo in the case and put all the cards back in. After that is when I had trouble with having no video. The case seems to have a problem with allowing cards to plug in all the way. The vid card isn't the only card with trouble. My SCSI controller sometimes would not show up either.

Check to make sure the cards are plugged in all the way. This simple little problem happens more often than people think.

randy5554 said:
Whenever I turn on my computer, I get no video output. Sometimes I can fix it by taking out the video card and sticking it back in. Lately, that has not worked. I contacted Antec because many here suggested it might be a PSU problem. They gave me a test to conduct to see if the PSU could power up just the motherboard. It worked, so now I'm not sure if it's the PSU or something more video specific (maybe the card itself or the PCI-E slot on the motherboard is messed up).

My full specs are:
Antec Smartpower 2.0 450 Watt PSU (included with Sonata II case)
ASUS A8N-SLI
A64 3000+ Venice (slightly overclocked to 2.15 Ghz)
eVGA 7800 GT (overclocked to 465/1.14 using Coolbits)
Western Digital 250 GB Sata 16Mb hard drive (don't remember exact specs)
Seagate 300 GB IDE hard drive
2 IDE optical drives
1 Floppy
2 GB Crucial Value RAM
and several other rear expansion slots

Is this PSU no longer good enough for my system? Should I email eVGA or ASUS for an RMA? Any opinions would be nice. Thanks.

I had the same problem when I got my Sonata II to replace my old aluminum case that had five case fans! The motherboard ABIT IC7 max 3 will not post with this power supply and after two days of trying I made the mistake of connecting the PCI-E cable to the ATX12 four pin on the board and I never seen so much smoke came out of the power supply and long after I pull the plug in three seconds! So much for power protection and it sure stink up the room! I needed a new supply in a hurry and locally I was able to get a Antec Smart power 500 and the computer booted up just fine with everything working. However the Antec Smart power 500 fan was making squeaking noise but then it stop and never made noise again. The 12v was a little high at 12.6 but the 3.3v and 5v were a bit below than I like. My old Allied power supply had much tighter voltages. The truepower may be a better choice but I now think that Antec power supplies are a little overrated :mad:

Back