Make me not crazy, too many options

Christobevii3

Limp Gawd
As of right now I have a dying 15.4" amd turion 1.6GHz that is 5 years old now. I liked it for its time but it is wayyyy past its prime. It had no 3d ability at all, some sis chipset. I also have an asus 701 eee pc my gf uses at work, and she also has an old dell 15" p4 laptop.

Help me decide from these 3 options on what to do:

1. Buy a nice 13.3" -14" laptop. This would cost roughly $900-1000 and have a geforce 9300-9500m videocard. So roughly 4lb laptop that has 3 hour battery life. Kinda heavy, expensive, and not too mobile. My laptop now sits on a stool though for when I watch tv. My gf could use this at home too for when I'm on the desktop.
Mobility: 2
Performance: 2
Price: 1.5

2. Buy a msi barebone 15.4" with geforce 9600m. These only have roughly a 2 and a half hour battery life and are in the 5lb+ area. To set this up would only cost around $700 it seems though, maybe a little less. The thing is hottttt though and probably couldn't sit on the stool. The 3d graphics ability would tf2 fine and my gf again could use it because that thing would never leave the house.
The second part of this option is I buy a cheaper netbook with a 1024x600 resolution. I could get a dell mini 9 or such for around $200-300. My sister wants one and has wanted to try mac osx, so if I didn't like it, i get to give it as a gift and go from there.
Mobility: 3
Performance 3
Price 1

3. Buy the samsung nc20 12" netbook. It will be fine for what it is replacing and is around $500. Would be mobile enough I could use it at my lunch break to browse the internet. So it would be a pure replacement and mobility option.
Mobility: 3
Performance: 1.5
Price: 3

4. Buy the hp dz3 13.3" turion x2 laptop. It is around the same weight as the dell, but a little bulkier and has performance, battery, and heat issues. Its around $650 though
Mobility:1.5
Performance:2
Price:2.5

What should I do? I think having a portable system that can be used for at least 3 hours is the main thing I want. The basic 3d ability is tempting though and causing the issue and would probably not be used outside my gf playing sam and max or I tf2 once a month or so.

I would just grab a new lappy, MSI has been horrible to deal with in my experience and the netbook are well just that netbooks, you can buy a small PDA to perform most of the tasks of a netbook with much better mobility.

With laptops I inherently give up on any gaming. To me laptops are for work but watching hd video seems practical to me and so I am very interested in seeing ion netbooks come out soon. If I were you I would hold out for one of those but make sure it has excellent battery life (excluding video playback) and make sure it has a full sized right shift key... If I had more money I'd probably go with the dell m1330 so that falls under your option 1 category. Good luck. ;)

I would just grab a new lappy, MSI has been horrible to deal with in my experience and the netbook are well just that netbooks, you can buy a small PDA to perform most of the tasks of a netbook with much better mobility.

Well the netbook thing is really all I'd use it for is internet use which is what my bigger laptop does now. I really just run ubuntu on it and internet. The thought of compfiz added to it is attractive and maybe playing some older games is what is screwing me up. The laptop of mobility or if 1 will be running ubuntu, fyi.

Maybe a better option. My current laptop was made by msi (abs branded) and has held up well. They have a 12" that has 4-5 hour battery life and is roughly $700. It only has a 4500gm though onboard.

Link

If you'll be be getting a laptop just for the house, why not just buy another desktop?

Dell Vostro 200 (has monitor) + upgraded video card like HD4670 seems like a good under $500 system. Then with the remaining $500 go shop on the Lenovo or Dell outlet for a laptop.

I have enough desktops though. I really need a semi mobile to mobile so I can have it at lunch at work.

here's option 1, and with a 10% off coupon ($950 in store) would be probably the best overall.
Dell Studio XPS 13"

Back