Making on the side money building rigs?

Shogo

Limp Gawd
Hi fellow diy builders. I have a question for you. I am starting to build computers more often (approx 1 every 2 weeks). Most of the comp i build are for random people that wants gaming pcs but doesnt know alot about pcs and want a "custom" pc for less $.

I wanted to know how much you guys charge for building a complete rig. this means :

-establishing the customer needs (gaming, budget, workstation...)
- ordering the pieces from online shops
- building the pc
- installing softwares
- OC/Tweaking depending on the demand
- Stability testings

One other thing is that, some time i buy pieces off ebay, but i dont know what kind of "warranty" i can offer to the client.

Some people are building computers and sell it on ebay for insane $$$. lets say a 3000$ worth computer can be sold on ebay for around 4500-5000$, does it really works? i mean is there really a demand for that kind of stuff. i was thinking to maybe start selling custom computers on ebay. I have friends that are working with metal etching tools, maybe i should try to sell some custom overpriced pc too?

Example of overpriced pc

Thank you

Shogo said:

Bad example. The price is for twelve systems, with each system being sold for $625 apiece. Since they're not being sold individually, the lot is being sold for $7500.

I'm sorry that all I'm doing is nitpicking and not offering any constructive comments. But I too have seen ridiculous prices for systems on ebay. For the most part, they've always had "buy it now" prices; who knows how many systems were actually bought at those prices.

EDIT: Actually, after looking over the rest of the page, it seems like the price just might be per system. But then why does it say cost per item is $625, sold as a lot of 12?? *Shrug*

hmmm 625$ for a computer that is worth 3000$... ahahah oh yeah what a deal.

Yeah my mistake tought :p . Well just google fx-60 on ebay and you have plenty examples. good example here

And im wondering, how are they shipping custom pcs with water cooling. I mean, water cooling needs some level of maintenance, carefullness, lovelyness, you cant have water cooling in your system without knowing how a pc works. Just giving the instruction on how to fill the reservoir could scare anyone who doesnt know anything about PC... (im assuming that if you buy an overpriced pc from ebay with built in water cooling you are that kind of person but maybe just a prejudice)

So, you are thinking that maybe those pc with buy it now is not really selling?

Something you need to take into consideration with selling machines on eBay is that the people that buy the system are likely going to expect some kind of warranty with it and if they have any problems they're going to come looking for to fix it. This isn't much of a problem when you're dealing with locals but when someone across the states just bought your system on eBay it is a problem. And if they pay with PayPal or a credit card there is no such thing as "sold as-is". You can state whatever you want in the auction and it wont matter if the user has problems with the system. Thats why i wouldn't suggest selling something like custom built machines on eBay because there is just too many things that can go wrong when you mix different parts together that you dont normally experience with just selling individual components.

Look at the ebay seller's feedback and item history. He doesn't seem to have sold one PC yet. I beleive he's probably only 15 years old.

I think you are right about the warranty thing. I mean, all pcs i have built were delivered by me personally and plugged the computer with the customer showing stuff. International buyers and things like that may be troublesome. But thanks for the recommendation!

I'm in a similar situation - always building pc's for friends, relatives, neighbors, coworkers, etc. I've ended up charging somewhere between what my time is worth and my relation to the person, but generally for anyone that can afford it I charge $100 build fee.

I've modified a couple of things over the last couple of years though. I don't front the cost of parts anymore. I've never gotten burned with someone backing out on a rig, but I'm sure it would eventually happen. So I get payment up front in full with check or cash, then once deposited I order the parts from Newegg or where ever. If they want to pay for the parts with credit or debit I spec out a complete list from Newegg and just tell them to order and let me know when the parts arrive. I get my build fee by check or cash in this case.

While I'll always build what ever kind of system the client wants I have had recent success with some more 'formula' type builds. Getting the same parts with only a different cpu and/or hard drive size takes some of the frustrating part out of building a pc for people who don't care if the mobo has SATAII support, 4 vs. 6 SATA ports, overclocks well, etc.

I usually install OpenOffice, Google Pack (it has Symantec AV for free), and VideoLAN player unless they have something else in mind.

For support I'm up front that I'll answer the basics and cover my work, but if they screw something up I'm not responsible. Parts are manufacturer's warranty only. They accept this for getting what they want, delivered, set up, and with a resonable amount of hand-holding if they need it. Most people are decent and pay me a reasonable rate for the 'above and beyond' issues and may even throw in dinner or a bottle of wine for my efforts. Once they see how lost they were they tend to be gracious.

On the plus side I stay current with hardware and generally get to buy whichever parts I want. If I say AMD over Intel or visa versa 99% of the people don't argue with it. I usually go for the best bang for the buck. If people are willing, sometimes I upgrade my personal systems and give them 6-12 month old hardware at a discount.

I don't have any interest in selling on Ebay or going commercial.

If it's under a grand, I tell them to go get a Dell or something. I can't buy parts or software for what Dell sells them for, so there's little point in trying to compete with them. (I've had several people order systems from, only to have them order a Dell the next day because the're brother-in law told them "Dells are cheaper" - and leaving me with the parts for their computer.)

I usually charge at least $100-$150 for a $1000 system. It scales up exponentially from there, so a $2000 system includes a $400 build fee. The fancy rigs take days to research, build, burn and detail, so people should be expected to pay for the time.

Then comes the pain: Half paid up front (you cancel, I keep it), rest paid on delivery (before setup, no refunds). I transfer the factory warranty on the parts, I fix anything that's my fault, no warranty coverage on anything they screw up. (Service plans are extra.) It's harsh, but the serious customers accept it because we build some nice gear. I can't afford to take a system back, so anyone who whines about "no refunds?" isn't someone I want to sell to in the first place.

(I sell used equipement all the time. No, for $50, your P3 does not come with a warranty.)

Back