Making the jump to true home audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - February 2014
Hi, I currently have have the klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra's, and while they do sound good, I know that there is better and I would like to explore other options and get something better. Now, I live in a small 10'x10' room in an apartment on the second floor, so for the moment I am looking for a nice 2.1 system for now. I will be buying one piece at a time, first the reciever, then the speakers. So far I've been looking at either the Onkyo TX-SR302 or the TX-SR502 refurbished at their own store. Now all I need is some good bookshelf speakers and a nice sub. I can spend around $250-280 for the pair, and maybe another $300 for the sub, but spending less is always better. I hear the Athena BS1's are nice, but any suggestions are welcome. This will be hooked up to my pc through a prodigy 7.1LT and is mostly going to be used for music and movies with gaming thrown in every once in awhile.

Get a used stereo receiver for <$50 rather than a surround receiver. That frees up more money to go into your 2.1 set. The surround receiver can come later. You don't need it if you're only planning on 2.1 now, and at these budget levels, the more money you can sink inot the speakers, the better.

What is your local metro area? You might be able to find one on your local Cragslist.org, or a local pawnshop.

Luckily I do have a friend looking to sell off some of his audio gear, and it includes a Sony STR DE525, which he would let me have for around $15 or so. But now I suppose I just have to search for some nice speakers. I really would like to get something nice now, as I plan on keeping them for a long time, and even when I eventually move into a house, they will stay in my computer room. I've listend to some klipsche, and (synergy B-2's) and I did like them, I have also listened to the Athena's (B1's), and I like them as well (although they are now sold out at that store). Is there anything else you could recommend to me? I'm sure I could probably find them somewhere to take a listen. I live in the Vancouver/Portland area, so there are bound to be shops around.

You're in luck!
The entire Athena Audition line is on clearance at Besbuy right now.
Personally, I'd spend the money you have put aside right now on a 5.0 set of Athenas so that all your speakers timbre-matched and designed to work together, then purchase a decent subwoofer sometime down the road.

The $150 Athena AS-F1 Towers make excellent mains for both music and movies. They'll comfortably reach down to 40Hz, which is about where most 8" subwoofers bottom out. This is an incredible deal for these speakers, as they were listed at CDN $599 less than 2 months ago.

The $150 Athena AS-C1 Center channel is perfectly matched to the F1's. The center channel is the most important speaker in a surround system when watching movies - 60 to 80% of all your sound will be coming through this speaker. It is crucial that this speaker can both keep up with your mains, and have the same tweeter and crossover as your mains. (Note that this speaker is on sale for $115 CDN at http://www.futureshop.ca, the Canadian version of BestBuy).

The $150 Athena AS-B1 bookshelves are more than capable of handling your surround effects, and would work well as your mains if you don't want towers. If you have nowhere to put these, or you don't want to buy speaker stands, the Athena AS-R1's are meant to be wall-mounted and work very well.

Whichever speakers you end up going with, it is important that at least your front 3 speakers are from the same manufacturer and model line, otherwise you run the risk of hearing muddy dialogue and unbalanced volumes any time you watch a movie.

Good luck on the speaker hunt. Check out the forums at http://www.audioholics.com for some great info.

Thats what I was thinking, but they are out of stock at my closest store, listened to them once, and now they are gone. I went back to listen to the Klipsch B2's again and I really like them, and the funny thing is that they have them running on a Yamaha reciever of some model, so I'd imagine they would sound better on something else (I've read about Yamaha not being the best with klipsch). Any suggestions? Oh, I can't use towers, not enough room in my small 10x10 room, wouldn't sound right either.

Indeed floorstanders can make problematic computer speakers because of placement issues.

Can you clarify what the total speaker budget is, now that you have a $15 stereo receiver rather than budgeting for a surround unit?

Well, now I can probably spend around $350 for the pair, although this will be in like a month and a half cause thats when I'll have the money saved up. Nice to plan ahead though. I was looking at the avs123 deal, and it looks just awesome, but the 6ohms scares me with my now reciever. I would definately be willing to plop down an extra $50 for that deal (which is 200 for the pair and 200 for the center channel right?) if its worth it.

I'd say either go for the Athena's or if you can solder, go buy some BR-1's from partsexpress.

Either way, a good sub is pretty pricey....but if you get good enough monitors, you won't need a sub. My BR-1s are like that...put em any closer than 2ft from the wall and the bass is overpowering.

(pardon my spelling...this night has been sponsored by two six-packs of hornsby's)

If you get a stereo receiver as opposed to a surround receiver, make sure it has enough functionality to be able to support a dedicated sub.

would you consider used "good" speakers, rather than what you are looking at?

you could get a considerable bit more speaker for your money... imo, of course...

I'm definately up for used, with a bit of research, and previewing perhaps before the buy, used can be an awesome deal. Well, for now I have the sony reciever (which is surround, although with not too many features), and unfortunately I cannot solder very well. I would end up getting the sub later, the fronts in maybe a month, then the sub a month or two later, then the rear speakers a month or so after that, then after that maybe getting a more capable reciever.

I would also look at some Klipsch bookshelf speakers. Perhaps the Synergy B2 or Reference RB15. Go bookshelfs over floorstanders - you get better imaging and placement. Also, the tweeter can be easily raised to be on par with your ears (with bookshelves).

You DONT need a receiver. Use the amp of the ultras to power the speakers. My brother is trying to catch up to my system so for his birthday, I bought him a pair of Klipsch B2 bookshelf speakers. I had him hook it up to his fronts using the same stock speaker wire used for the ultra satellites and they work PERFECT! You dont need to spend the extra cash... besides, the ultra sub is one killer monster. Going with a receiver, you would lose the ultra sub's potency as you would have to shell out some cash to buy a sub of equal power and extension.

Go to ebay and you will find some good deals on those. Stick with the ultras and just upgrade the satellites to some klipsch bookshelves! :)

Look at it this way:
Receiver Route:
Receiver = 100$ or so
Speakers = $150 or so
Subwoofer = $200 or so
Total = 450$

Upgrading satellites to Klipsch bookshelves:
Klipsch Synergy B2 bookshelves = $150 (ebay)
Total = $150

A no brainer.

Oh and if you need more bass.... you can just "jimmy" a stand-alone subwoofer along with the ultras with the use of a RCA-3.5mm adaptor from RadioShack and connect it to your computer's soundcard.

Thanks guys, those fosgates look nice, and especially for the price. I think I'm going to up my budget, but its just going to take longer to get everything. I'm going to have my friend sell the reciever like originally planned, and am going to get the Onkyo TX-SR302, it seems like it will fit the bill. That will be purchased within two weeks. And then two weeks after, I'll pick up my fronts, then a week after my sub (the dayton 10" looks great, can anyone assure me its not very boomy?) and then my rears, then the center. I'm headed to the good guys to listen to klipsch reference, JBL, Energy, and anything else they have there, and then off to some audio shops for some more listening. Thanks all for you'r help, its appreciated, I'm just a little indecisive sometimes. I'll keep you posted!

Kai said:
...the dayton 10" looks great, can anyone assure me its not very boomy?

A loose stuffing with fiberfill and proper calibration can go a long way to making even bargain subs "unboomy". Note that I don't have specific experience with that Dayton, but experience with bargain subs in general.

Good deal, thanks, then the dayton will be my pick unless anyone has any other suggestions. Went and listened, and found the Klipsch reference to be way too bright, but the monitor bronze were just outstanding, I loved them, small but with a nice large warm detailed sound. Then when I went back to Best Buy, the Klipsch Synergy B2 did not sound overly bright. Interesting. But I think I'm going to still shop around, and try to find the Fogate passive monitors to listen too. Thanks guys!

B2 are pimp... nice sound and nice price.

You really should try to utilize the ultra's amp. Saves cash and is just as good as going with a low end receiver. Plus you dont have to buy a sub that probably cant hang with the ultra sub for under 200$.

I can recommend you Paradigm Mini Monitor, I don't know the price in USD but it should be below 300 and they provide nice Bass for the size they are, they always impressed me, you don't expect any bass from speaker of this size.

If you have a Good Guys near you, you should really try to take advantage of their Energy bookshelves. Energy is the parent company of Athena and are one level above it... they should be good sounding speakers!

I think the Energy C1 are on sale for $150/pair... down from $300/pair.

I saw that special, I think next time I'm in I'll check them out more. I listened to them a little, but didn't like them for some reason, but now that I see that deal I'll consider them more now. They are supposed to get the monitor silver series in stock again soon (my closest store) so I'll be trying those as well. Still looking around, but I really have decided that I don't like the Ultras, just don't sound good enough for me anymore. Thanks guys!

Kai said:
...but I really have decided that I don't like the Ultras, just don't sound good enough for me anymore...

And so it begins. Start saving for your monoblocks and Magnapans now... JK.

Have you thought about active studio monitors? If this is strictly for computer use, they can be a very good bang/buck alternative. Of course, the upgrade path isn't as simple as passive speakers w/ a separate amplifier.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/products/dispDeals.cfm?sel=6

IN STORES THIS MONTH

Half Off Powered Monitors - While They Last!
BX5 Powered Monitors

• 5.25" low-frequency driver, 1" high-frequency driver
• 75 watts of bi-amped near-field technology
• Adjustable high-frequency response, presence control, and variable low-frequency roll-off to optimize response at crossover points when adding a subwoofer

NEW LOWER PRICE

NOW ONLY: $199.99 PR SAVE: $200
(BX5) List Price: $399.95

M-Audio BX8 Bi-Amped Monitors

• 130-watt active biamped power
• 8in polypropylene low-frequency driver and 1in silk high-frequency driver
• Magnetically shielded for desktop operation
• Acoustic Space Control optimizes placement

NOW ONLY: $299.99 SAVE: $300.00

A pair of BX8's in the front, and a pair of BX5's in the back could get you a pretty decent 4-point soundstage for $500.

It might be worth your time to stop by your local Guitar Center during a weekday afternoon with few customers and take a listen to them.

GodsMadClown said:
And so it begins. Start saving for your monoblocks and Magnapans now... JK.

:D

he's not kidding... anyone who thinks that upgraditis is bad with computers hasn't caught it's even more virulent cousin, the audio upgraditis disease.... :eek:

ccotenj said:
:D

he's not kidding... anyone who thinks that upgraditis is bad with computers hasn't caught it's even more virulent cousin, the audio upgraditis disease.... :eek:

Yeah no shit, I'm now selling most of my computer to go to the following:

From dell 2005fpw and logitech z680's to:

Infocus screenplay 4805 projector
102in diag infocus permwall screen
Pioneer 1015tx 7.1 reciever
2x Dantax Vision Two Loudspeakers (imported from Denmark, check these babies out)
http://www.dantaxint.com/vision_index.html
2x Ascend acoustics 340's for rears
Ascend acoustics 340c for center (until I can find a way to import Dantax center, they dont distribute to US anymore)
svs 16-46 pc plus 575w sub

anyone want some SLI ultras? :p

If you havn't pulled the trigger yet, you might want to check on www.audioenvy.com to see if anyone around you has some Onix Ref 2's that you can audition. They're on sale for $1625/pair and you seem to have money to throw around. :)

computerpro3 said:
Yeah no shit, I'm now selling most of my computer to go to the following:

From dell 2005fpw and logitech z680's to:

Infocus screenplay 4805 projector
102in diag infocus permwall screen
Pioneer 1015tx 7.1 reciever
2x Dantax Vision Two Loudspeakers (imported from Denmark, check these babies out)
http://www.dantaxint.com/vision_index.html
2x Ascend acoustics 340's for rears
Ascend acoustics 340c for center (until I can find a way to import Dantax center, they dont distribute to US anymore)
svs 16-46 pc plus 575w sub

anyone want some SLI ultras? :p

i'm sure you've thought that through, but is that receiver going to be able to drive those vision two's? (which, btw, appear to be very pretty speakers)... more curious than anything else...

how do you hook up the compuer sound card audigyzs pro to a amplifier. i have a 7.1 system already and i wanted to hook it up to this amplifier so i can play games through this system?

-rob

i read that. thank you. but does that mean that i can only do 5.1 or can i do the 7.1 with the rca jacks? thanks

-rob

Kai said:
(the dayton 10" looks great, can anyone assure me its not very boomy?)

I dont wanna nit pick...if you see it that way....I dont.

When O' when did boomy become bad? I have been competing in car audio for 12 years and Boomin is an extreme complement. See (LL Cool J...Boomin' System) Boomin means "extreme extension at the end of a bass hit"<<< As I have always understood it.

Now "Muddy"..."Flat"..."Distorted"...O.K.! I believe some dipshit on the internet confused Muddy with boomin and it has stuck.

Maybe Boomy and Boomin are deemed to be different?

Perhaps I'm bias......

Boomy = loose, floppy bass (in my definition).

It is the opposite of "tight, controlled bass". Of course, semantics is just that... semantics. As long as we're talking about the same type of high quality bass reproduction, it's all good.

Skip the receiver and get active speakers. ATC, Mackie, Event, M-Audio all make good ones. If you get something with 8in woofers you won't likely need a sub at all. I <3 my Event TR-8's.

ccotenj said:
i'm sure you've thought that through, but is that receiver going to be able to drive those vision two's? (which, btw, appear to be very pretty speakers)... more curious than anything else...

I was going to get the elite reciever, but then the guys on AVS forum told me there is 100% no need to because the 1015tx is essentially an elite receiever in a different case. Identical back panel, 34lbs (which is the elite weight, not 19lbs like all other non elite receivers), and has plenty of power

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=495693&highlight=1015

The 20 page thread is long but it explains quite a bit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back