Making the switch - PowerMac G4

Aevron

Limp Gawd
Well, as a long time Windows user since WIndows 95, I've finally purchased my first Mac. My friend is selling his G4 and 17" Studio LCD Display and I decided to buy it off of him.

The computer has the following:
- Dual 867 MHz Processors with 1MB L3 Cache
- 512 MB PC2100 SDRAM (1 Dimm)
- 80 GB Ultra ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
- DVD / CD-RW Combo Drive
- NVIDIA GeForce4 32 MB Graphics Card
- Apple Pro Mouse
- Apple Pro Keyboard
- Mac OSX 10.2.3 "Jaguar"

I have heard of Apple's Superdrive (the DVD writer). Is there any way I can purchase this seperately and add it as another drive? I wasn't able to find it on Apple's site and I dont know if any internal drive will work for a Mac.

This is really my first time as a Mac user. I've used a Mac before in school, but it was restricted, so I couldn't really do much. Are there any tutorials or anything I can read in learning how to use Mac OS X? Also, is there a special way to do a clean install of the OS so I dont have any left over things from my friend? I would like to start fresh.

Thanks for all of your help

Aevron said:
Well, as a long time Windows user since WIndows 95, I've finally purchased my first Mac. My friend is selling his G4 and 17" Studio LCD Display and I decided to buy it off of him.

The computer has the following:
- Dual 867 MHz Processors with 1MB L3 Cache
- 512 MB PC2100 SDRAM (1 Dimm)
- 80 GB Ultra ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
- DVD / CD-RW Combo Drive
- NVIDIA GeForce4 32 MB Graphics Card
- Apple Pro Mouse
- Apple Pro Keyboard
- Mac OSX 10.2.3 "Jaguar"

I have heard of Apple's Superdrive (the DVD writer). Is there any way I can purchase this seperately and add it as another drive? I wasn't able to find it on Apple's site and I dont know if any internal drive will work for a Mac.

This is really my first time as a Mac user. I've used a Mac before in school, but it was restricted, so I couldn't really do much. Are there any tutorials or anything I can read in learning how to use Mac OS X? Also, is there a special way to do a clean install of the OS so I dont have any left over things from my friend? I would like to start fresh.

The superdrive is just a Pioneer A06. To start fresh just put the install disk in and double ckick the installer. It will restart and install. The install process is an orgasm compared to installing windows. Make sure that if your friend has iLife '04 apps that you can get the CD before you start this process.

Aevron said:
Also, is there a special way to do a clean install of the OS so I dont have any left over things from my friend? I would like to start fresh.

Put the install CD in, hold "C" during boot.

Use the Disk Utility from one of the menu's to re-partition and delete the data.

Then install.

Back