[H]ard|Gawd
Ok.....

/me treads lightly....

:D

-------------

I just bought this :

arc1.jpg

--

I intend to build a MAME cabinet with it.

--------------

Now I realize so-called 'emulators' are a touchy subject here .

I actually own my own roms.Several of them .....Buying legit roms is easy too , so I'd like to build a cabinet to run em all.

----

Can I start asking questions ? or is this topic still off limits ?

Emulators themselves are perfectly legal, its how you obtain the ROMs. Really thats up to you, as long as you don't mention any illegal methods of getting them you should be fine here.

This forum's about hardware anyways, so everyone would be more than happy to help, and as this is a project I've long wanted to do (still do) I'd be very interested to follow your progress. Good luck!

I work for an vending company that deals with arcade games as well while I goto college. I have worked on a few MAME cabinets I might be able to point you in the right direction if you run into issues for wiring joysticks etc.

I definitely want to do one of these at some point... and re-using an old arcade machine is a good idea... :tup:

Cool....

I saw a couple threads here while digging around that were shut down for MAME discussions,figgered I better ask first.
---------------

Thanks for the links spider_flex ! read em both already :D

-------

My biggest question is regarding monitors.

The crt I removed from the game is borked , so I need a replacement.

Now , some games use 'vertical' CRT's , some use 'horizontal' ones.....I have seen some MAME cabinets with rotatable monitor mounts...

This seems like a good idea... Any thoughts ?

Also , I'd like it to be capable of playing vector based games.

Should I be looking for an actual arcade game crt ? a TV ? Computer monitor ?

What would be my best bet ?

-----------

I'm looking at controllers from ultimarc.....IPAC2 , etc..... Any other opinions ?

TYIA

An CRT computer monitor would probably be your best bet.

If I recall correctly from from 8 or so years ago when I was thinking of doing this ... arcade CRTs are pretty expensive and don't use a standard VGA connector. LCDs have the problem of a fixed pixel size, so you're stuck emulating scan lines. With a CRT monitor you can define custom resolutions for each game which will make them look as close as possible to the actual arcade hardware and you won't bust the bank.

Most of the games that use the monitor in a vertical position are vertical scrolling shooters, so if that's your thing, then I'd just mount the monitor in that position and leave it be.

Cool ...

I thought that might be the deal.......A friend of mine just bought me a 20" viewable crt (thx grinder !) ...I think thats probably the largest crt monitor I could fit in the case....

Imma go with that for now.

I'm a week from ordering the controls...we'll see what happens.

Back