Man, could OC'ing the 920 be any easier?

Antonius

Limp Gawd
Good Lord. I just knocked my i7 920 up to 3ghz to test it out and pushed the ram up a bit and it was the easiest OC ever. Changed the clk to 150 and knocked the vcore up to 1.25 and done. Wow. Easiest 15% I ever got out of my processor.

Now...the temptation for...more....:D

i cant wait until tax return time to put together one of these systems...sorry if i'm out of the loop on this question but will there be a p58 chipset for these?...all i've come across are "x" variants.

i cant wait until tax return time to put together one of these systems...sorry if i'm out of the loop on this question but will there be a p58 chipset for these?...all i've come across are "x" variants.
P55, but for lynnfield, not bloomfield. And not till around Q3. Theres a X58 vs P55 thread in the intel mobo section, go check it out.

Amen. 4.4 is pretty darn cake.

What I want to know is if the i920 can get to 4.0 easily?

I knew you'd show up here once someone mentioned an e8600 ;)

From what I saw @ XS, the only people running 4.0 24/7 are on water. It's just too much of a stretch with regard to temps otherwise. The higher-end chips, however...

Since when was 15% ever hard for Intel:confused::confused::confused: since you had to tweak the voltage I'd say i7 is hard to o/c since most C2s don't even need that :D ...

I am changed mine from 4.0ghz which is stable but wayyyyy too hot, to 3.6 1.35 (probably can go lower) Sitting in the mid 30s for idle and 100% load is high 60s, low 70s.

I still think my maximus formula bios option "CPU level up" is the easiest overclock there is. Not that I use it, but changing a single bios setting to get a 40% overclock is pretty goddamn simple.

You should be able to clock to 3.4ish on stock volts, but temps do get out of hand on stock cooler.

I'm currently leak testing my water loop and it's going to be fun times with my 920 tomorrow ;)

Oh and I stand corrected. I reset to Auto voltage and it is stable. Guess I didn't need to go to 1.25v after all. Not that it is that much higher anyway. Stock on these is 1.2v IIRC.

Back