Man Valve just cant win can they ?

Labrador

[H]ard|Gawd
I have to admit I feel bad for Valve and the whole disaster it's had with HalfLife2, (well not the game itself )

First off they announce at E3 2003, that the game would be out Sept 30,

Then they get hacked and an alpha version is leaked on the net

At this years E3, Doug L said should be done no later than end of summer

Then they announce the ongoing lawsuit with VU, possibly delaying game until March 05

Finally game is finished, and on sale in stores but we are unable to play it because it's LOCKED

EDIT;

I didnt mean they cant win and sell millions, I mean winning in the sense of keeping their pride and honor, which to me they lost last year after Sept 30, 2003, they just lie to all of their loyal fans.

Worse yet, Valve are famous for keeping their mouth shut too much when they should have a PR statement they often just keep quiet and piss their fans off even more

It seems Valve just cant win with this release, even down to the last weekend their fans are crying that they have a physical copy of the game in their hands, bought from a real store like BestBuy, but are not allowed to play it yet ?

Gabe has got to be saying Jesus frigging christ we have been cursed with this game release.

I just say please UNLOCK the game for all of your loyal fans to enjoy on a weekend and end the madness :)

Dude... it wont be unlocked until Tuesday. Whats the big deal, cant wait a few days?

i'm with him. We bought the dam game so we want to play the dam game. R u gonna buy a car and then be told. o ya u can't drive it for 2 days. I don't think so.

fromage said:
Those stores weren't supposed to sell until the 16th.

mabye at the start, but places like walmart have been selling it.

So bestbuy told all its stores to start selling it right away...

I think the point is that those of us who bought HL2 over Steam knew that we wouldn't be able to play the game immediately. Hell, when I paid for it there wasn't even a confirmed release date. This is fine - I knew the score before I coughed up.

The people that are buying Half Life 2 in shops all over the US right now though, are entitled to be pissed off when they get home and can't play the game they just paid for. This is a PR disaster that Valve (and Vivendi by approving it) could avoid right now by unlocking the game immediately.

ya man. I don't fucking keep up on shit that is going on with half life 2. I'm a ut freak. I just want to play the fucking game i just paided 60 dollars for...... cock suckers

I don't necessarilly think that means that Valve can't win. People are still buying it. Even people that are pissed about what they are hearing are still going to buy it. SOunds like Valve is winning to me.

ya valve is still gonna win.....everyone has to buy the game. frist this has ever happend in gaming history. again. cock suckers

Doesn't matter what happens at this point, Valve has already won.

Even if you can't play it you've already paid for it. Customers paying for it means Valve wins.

gg

-f

Ron1jed said:
i'm with him. We bought the dam game so we want to play the dam game. R u gonna buy a car and then be told. o ya u can't drive it for 2 days. I don't think so.

Cars cant be copied and released for millions to download and they cost A LOT more than a game so that is a silly anology.

but I agree they should unlock

BLenderhedd said:
I don't necessarilly think that means that Valve can't win. People are still buying it. Even people that are pissed about what they are hearing are still going to buy it. SOunds like Valve is winning to me.

I didnt mean they cant win and sell millions, I mean winning in the sense of keeping their pride and honor, which to me they lost last year after Sept 30, 2003, they just lie to all of their loyal fans.

Worse yet, Valve are famous for keeping their mouth shut too much when they should have a PR statement they often just keep quiet and piss their fans off even more :(

Valve wins by having (or will be having) the highest selling game in history. Valve will make hundreds of millions of dollars. Gabe owns the whole friggin company. It is not a public company. He just went from very wealthy to super insanely I-can-be-a-fat-guy-and-get-hot-chicks-anyway kind of super mega rich.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do in the future..

ya he is fat ugly fuck but is gonna be fucking rich. i mean fuck. 54 bux is hella lot. but everyone has to pay it

How many threads do you need to start about HL2? If it's not one thing it's another. :rolleyes:

Labrador said:
I didnt mean they cant win and sell millions, I mean winning in the sense of keeping their pride and honor, which to me they lost last year after Sept 30, 2003, they just lie to all of their loyal fans.:(

$55 a couple million times will buy a whole lot of pride and honor. Look at Microsoft ( I know EVERYBODY loves MS) they fuck things up and delay things and ship broken product all the time, have about 0 credibility with anyone but their shareholders, and Bill Gates is like the richest man in the world. Think maybe Gabe is on to something. myabe he watched a Bill Gates info-mercial about the secret to getting rich in the software biz. "I'll tell you how for just three easy payments of $39.95...."

i mean HOLY SHIT. every dork plays cs it seems. and the will all want to play the new cs. thats alottttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt of money

Their credibility is in question, not the money they're going to make with this game. The sales that will undoubtedly come from this game will be because of the massive hype generated by the fanbase and media. If people are pissed with Valve/Vivendi, they won't be hyping their next product, which means less sales next time around.

i wont buy HL b/c of steam. why do i want extra shit on my computer ... ??? what happens if every game does this? do you really want 10 or 20 programs on your computer possibly loading up and tracking you ? steam is bad.

i for 1 will not buy HL2.

geekcomputing said:
i wont buy HL b/c of steam. why do i want extra shit on my computer ... ??? what happens if every game does this? do you really want 10 or 20 programs on your computer possibly loading up and tracking you ? steam is bad.

I support your reasoning and agree with you, but why would you pass up what may be the best game of all time to make a statement no1 will give you attention about?

geekcomputing said:

10-20 programs? how the hell do you figure steam doesnt load till you tell it to. now if yoru stupid enought to launch 10-20 different gaming apps at once on a sub par system thats your fault.
Does steam suck? at times. Is it bad? To me...no

News flash!: Gabe came from Microsoft where it seems he made a nice chunk of change with stock options, in affect Microsoft helped fund the development of HL and HL2!!

See Microsoft is good for something!!! ;)

The amount of hype and fan:rolleyes:boy-ism directed at a company which has done so little is quite amazing IMO.

iZero said:
The amount of hype and fan:rolleyes:boy-ism directed at a company which has done so little is quite amazing IMO.

To call Half-Life so little is probably an under statement, but I in theory support what you're saying.

-f

Back