Managing two computers in my room

adri1456

Gawd
Hopefully in a month, my Aspire watercooled computer will be done and I'll be the first person in my family to have 2 computers in his room.

So, I was wondering what's the best way to mange 2 computers on the same desk? KVM? Remote desktop? Other? What about internet access? Hub? router? switch?

The most I'll be doing with both computers, is probably managing a small server for the LAN and playing games on the other one.

Absolutely no need for a router; just use a switch. If one of the computers happens to be a linux box, then I'd just use ssh to access it and skip the kvm.

Networking depends on the setup, ideally you could hook a switch to your router, then plug your 2 boxes into the switch. KVM's are really handy, too. SSH for Linux is a godsend, esp. cuz you can get a windows client. Of course if you want to do anything in X you need the kvm.

If you wanted to do X over the network then you could just get an x server for your windows computer. Alternatively you could use vnc. Though kvm switches are certainly nice. It's really a personal preference.

For LANS' I would get a unmanaged switch, unless you want to tincker around with settings then a managed would work.

Back