Mandrake or Suse?

Shorty

Gawd
I'm going to partition off 15-20GBs of my 160GB Hitachi drive and I am contemplating which Linux to install. Show your support...

try both and see what you like.

My first Linux install was SuSe (coverdisk from PC-Format) but I hated it (almost got put off linux). Got RedHat of another coverdisk from PC-Format and liked it very much. However I had no idea what programs did what linux and RedHat didnt come with many.

a few months later a three CD's for Mandrake 7.2 were on another coverdisk. Soo many probs with Mandrake but loads of progs so I got to know what was out there. Stuck with Mandrake until 9.0 and all the probs I had with 7.2 were all gone. Now on Gentoo.

Ha linux is like smoking,
you keep trying different methods to give up and in-between you going back to smoking.

Just my 2cents.

I give a vote for Mandrake after all that rambling

i've tried both of the latest versions of suse and mandrake. of the 2, mandrake is easiest imho. however, i would like to provide a 3rd option.

i recently installed slackware on my computer and i absolutely love it! i like it b/c every program i have compiled and installed on it has actually done just that- compiled and installed. with some programs in mandrake and suse, if you had to compile it, the compiler would say you're missing some libraries or some junk. so far every source code i've thrown at slack has compiled and installed. (that's not to say tho that there are better methods of installing programs under mandrake or suse.. i'm sure there are better ways but i dunno how to do it!)

the installation is a little archaic, as in text based menu graphics, but it's not impossible.

just my opinion :D

I would almost go as far to say as Mandrake is the easiest distro. That may be what you're looking for. If you really wanna learn how to use linux, try a compiled-distrobution.

Originally posted by Zwitterion
I would almost go as far to say as Mandrake is the easiest distro. That may be what you're looking for. If you really wanna learn how to use linux, try a compiled-distrobution.
Of the two, yes.

However, Fedora is extremely easy. 25 minute install, from boot up to desktop, with 0 knowledge. I told it I wanted a workstation install, and just clicked next when given an option. Fully usable install, and damn nice to boot. :)

I honestly have to agree with piller. of the two mandrake would be the choice. I've installed both mandrake and suse. Suse i had graphics card issues and modem issues and x issues.. the list went on.. maybe it just didn't like my computer but I was definatly turned off to it. Mandrake was a really nice and easy install. outside of those two choices Fedora Core is a really beautiful distro as well.. really easy install, for the most part easy to figure out how to do things..

But Honestly, In my opinion... a good root to go so you actually learn something about linux, but it isn't too difficult is slackware. the install is pretty easy and after that things go smoothly.. like piller says, things compile very nicely.. i've had a couple library issues, but you can usually find the necessary libraries pretty easy on the net, if they aren't already on the CD's.

install a few different ones if you have to, give them all a try see what suits your needs best. let us know how things turn out for you.

I installed Mandrake and tried out SuSE live 2-3 days ago, and I like Mandrake more

I ended up installing Suse... download files from 5:30PM to 1:45 AM, tlak about slow servers speaking that I have 3MBit down. I am posting using Suse right now, and I don't know the thing about Linux. My first goals are to install Kde 3.15 on top of 3.1, but I have no idea how to use Konstruct. That, and to install Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

Mandrake will not work with my Radeon 9800 Pro... and believe me, I've learned alot of different commands in the console just because of the damn problem! I think I'm going to try out Fedora now, or download the soon to die Red Hat just for simplicity.

Originally posted by Shorty
Mandrake will not work with my Radeon 9800 Pro... and believe me, I've learned alot of different commands in the console just because of the damn problem! I think I'm going to try out Fedora now, or download the soon to die Red Hat just for simplicity.
Well, I can tell you that my 9600pro works...sorta (under fedora )

I get opengl running, but I can not get everquest to run under winex. Well, it runs...unaccelerated.

However, the rest of the opengl stuff I have works, which leads me to believe that it's a problem between ati and winex more than an ati problem.

if you are a total noob at linux, i would suggest starting with mandrake. You need no prior knowladge to get it up and running, and then after its working you can get as complex or simple as you want. Its a good way to ease you into the more complex distros like gentoo or slack.

Fedora would not work... I'd download a copy, check it against the md5 or whatever file, everythings ok... burn it, start it up... FAIL. At least four times on four different CDs, each from different websites and burned at different speeds. I redid Mandrake and this time had the VESA (or whatever) drivers load... it worked! I'm using Mandrake right now...

Originally posted by XOR != OR

I get opengl running, but I can not get everquest to run under winex. Well, it runs...unaccelerated.

Try using an older version of the drivers.. like 1 version older... my friend has a 9800 pro and when he updated to the latest drivers, he couldn't get anything to run accellerated. So he went back a version and it worked fine.

Fedora would not work... I'd download a copy, check it against the md5 or whatever file, everythings ok... burn it, start it up... FAIL. At least four times on four different CDs, each from different websites and burned at different speeds. I redid Mandrake and this time had the VESA (or whatever) drivers load... it worked! I'm using Mandrake right now...

hrmm, another 9800 pro problem I think.. when does it not work?

if its when its trying to load anaconda then try installing it using text mode (when you boot off the CD read, it'll say type "linux text" or something and press enter)

This sounds like a CDROM compatibility problem. I've run into this quite a bit with redhat distros, and I have yet to figure out the problem exactly.

Too bad tho, Fedora core is a damn nice OS. :)

Back