March 2004 a new A64 stepping with improved Cool n'Quiet stepping is introduced.

DryFire

2[H]4U
Like the title says there is a new A64 revision.

The old ones had AR at the end and dissapate 35w of heat at 800 mhz.

The new ones have AP at the end and dissapate 22W at 1000mhz.

the white paper is here:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30430.pdf

I was wondering how many people have these and how well are they overlcocking compared to the other steppings.

I know that OC'ing is hindered more ATM by unlockable PCI and AGP.

There is also some memory controller improvements.

Hum, I think I want one of these and the AsRock SiS755 board that has a locked bus. Should do well. :)

Originally posted by CentronMe
Hum, I think I want one of these and the AsRock SiS755 board that has a locked bus. Should do well. :)

The only review on the K8S8X (Asrock SIS 755) board I've been (OC work bench) didn't mention the PCI/AGP lock.

Acording to Anandtech, the other current SID755 officering (ECS) doesn't lock the PCI bus.

So my question is.....how do you know the K8S8X has the PCI lock? :confused:

I may not be right here, but bear with me.

First open up the ASRock K8S8X link. Line number four says "Hybrid Booster - a safe overclocking feature", open up the link. The Hybrid Booster says " The AGP/PCI Frequency control provides the interface of AGP/PCI frequency value setting"; of course in fine print it says "Some overclocking features might be disabled while the chipset doesn’t support ", so we shall see. Now this seems to be a general page but if the board supports Hybrid Booster there is a chance it will.

I was also under the impression that the ECS board was locked. Maybe I am wrong. More reading for me tonight. :p

I just reread the review over at ocworkbench and they added an update staying the ECS may have a devider. Wait and see at the moment. :(

The Asrock has no PCI lock, nor is one planned. The ECS board is a POS even with the A2 BIOS and I wouldn't expect a crap company like ECS to ever put out a good product. To add to that ECS has not even announced the A2 revision for the US nor do they have any plans to currently bring it stateside. Besides if you have SATA HDs you can forget about overclocking at all.

The 964 southbridge PCI bus can be locked, it's just that these are value oriented boards and the manufacturers have left out the chip needed to lock the bus. AFAIC the SATA issue is the first that needs to be addressed - anything short of the Raptor or the Hitachi SATA drive is a bottleneck. I'm not willing to choke the system just to overclock at this point. However, I'm sure many on this board are hanging onto their ATA drives...

The only hope left is Asus (the only 755/755FX partner not to announce a board) will announce a 755FX/965 board soon with the proper lock enabled. If I had to guess I would think they will but are holding out for the 939 intro.

Back