Mario 64 DS

beanman101283

2[H]4U
I haven't played my DS is ages and it kind of bugs me, so I thought I'd look into some more games for it. I've been reading about Super Mario Galaxy and how it's supposed to be a worthy successor to Super Mario 64. I never played it, so I was wondering how well it works on the DS. Is it fun to play, with a minimum of camera or control frustration brought on by moving to the DS? What say you, [H]?

I was never able to get very into Mario 64 on the DS. I loved New Super Mario Bros, the 2 Castlevania games, Phantom Hourglass, Puzzle Quest, Mario Kart, Drawn to Life, and a few others, though..

My wife loved Mario 64 on the N64 but hated it on the DS, I could never get into either version.

i only played SM64 for a few minutes one time.. and thought it was quite fun...

several magazines rated it one of the greatest games of all time.. so i got it for the DS... i thought it was pretty cool. Great game IMO

you should be able to get it pretty cheap... i'd give you my copy but unfortunately, it doesn't save anymore, says data corruption error and deletes saved games

stay away(unless its stupid cheap), its no where near as good as the N64 counterpart. Instead pickup the legend of zelda: phantom hourglass, new super mario bros.!

Others noteworthy:
Castlevania: portrait of ruin
Garfields nightmare
Crash of the titans (crash can now kick and punch!)
Mario Kart DS
Asphalt GT 2
Metroid Prime Hunters
Viewtiful Joe - Double Trouble
Sonic Rush Adventure
Mario and Luigi - Partners in time

If you already have a Wii get M64 on VC.

I'm tempted to go play it through before Galaxies comes out.. But I think over the years I have played it to death :eek:

Hmm, seems like most are saying don't bother. The reviews have relatively high scores, but if you actually read them then they seem to be saying "meh."

I don't have a Wii otherwise i probably would have downloaded it by now.

Maybe i'll look to some other DS games.

Well, since it's relatively old, I'm sure you could find it very cheap probably 10$ or so. I have the game myself and I thought it was really similar to the original. It's pretty good, but yeah, original over the DS one.

Don't even bother with Mario 64 on the DS. It is definitely one of the best games ever (N64 version), but without the analog stick, its a bitch to play. Not to mention DS/DSL's D-Pad is horrible, which makes the controls even worse.

Fuck mario 64 on the DS.. it sucks.. there are plenty of other games worth your month though..

like CASTLEVANIA!!!!

Its pretty much just like Mario on the 64 was, althrough, you don't get an analog stick, which annoys me.

Geez. I didn't feel it was much different. Maybe y'all are too young to remember the days of "tapping" the d-pad to move slowly when analog sticks didn't exist. I had no issues with it and I never missed the analog stick.
If anything, the camera was the one issue I had with both versions. In some levels it's really tough to line up a jump, especially when it's not something you can take your time with.

Other than that, to me it was more or less the same as Mario 64, if not a little more fun because of the other characters.

Still, if you have a DS, the best games are Mario Kart and the two Castlevania titles.

Geez. I didn't feel it was much different. Maybe y'all are too young to remember the days of "tapping" the d-pad to move slowly when analog sticks didn't exist. I had no issues with it and I never missed the analog stick.
If anything, the camera was the one issue I had with both versions. In some levels it's really tough to line up a jump, especially when it's not something you can take your time with.

Other than that, to me it was more or less the same as Mario 64, if not a little more fun because of the other characters.

Still, if you have a DS, the best games are Mario Kart and the two Castlevania titles.
My first game system was an Atari 2600. I don't want to hear your crap about "the old days" before the analog stick :p

I just couldn't get into it on the small screen. The DS, to me, lends itself better to 2D games like Castlevania, Mario Kart, and Phantom Hourglass than it does to true 3D games like Metroid Prime Hunters and Mario 64.

The ones that shipped with the 2600 were scary. They were so stiff and the base so light, I ended up jerking the crap out of it to loosen it up a little bit.
I was all about the Coleco paddle/phonepad personally.

That was a joystick, lol
Yup, it was a joystick, but it wasn't analog.

It was a digital pad with only nine outputs: up, down, left, right, up-left, up-right, down-left, down-right, and button.

To go "slow" in Pitfall, you had to tap the stick ;)

I have this game and the n64 version

I didn't like this one compared to the console, even though it was pretty close

get the new Zelda instead.. it's nuts

Back