Mark Zuckerberg Likes Hard Questions

HardOCP News

[H] News
Mark Zuckerberg sounds more and more like a politician every time he opens his mouth. When asked why Facebook forced people to download the standalone Messenger app, this is what he said:

I'm grateful for hard questions. It keeps us honest. We need to be able to explain clearly why what we're thinking is good. Asking everyone in our community to install a new app is a big ask. I appreciate that that was work and required friction. We wanted to do this because we believe that this is a better experience.

I see it more from a development standpoint: it's easier to code for and fix 2 smaller apps rather than 1 large app.

He does sound like a politician in that quote doesn't he.

Especially since it's cropped/edited, tabloid-style.:p It's missing at least 4/5ths of the quote, including the direct answer to why there was a separate messenger app.

One of the commenters on the linked article stated:
The separate app was originally Beluga, but they bought them and rebadged it because it was much better than their own experience.
If true, that's probably the main reason for the change. It'd be easier to keep the existing app separate than to try to incorporate it into the existing FB app.

Especially since it's cropped/edited, tabloid-style.:p It's missing at least 4/5ths of the quote, including the direct answer to why there was a separate messenger app.
Given that Steve's comment was made with regard to how Zuckerberg sounded, as opposed to what he was saying, and given that, as always, there's a link to the full article, I'm not sure what your point is.

Tabloid style?

Re-read that entire paragraph. He could have, and eventually did, say "because we wanted to." All that other stuff makes him sound like a politician.

Given that Steve's comment was made with regard to how Zuckerberg sounded, as opposed to what he was saying, and given that, as always, there's a link to the full article.

Exactly. :)

That's considered a hard question? wow.. Sounds like they want to make sure people still have a reason to use FB even if they aren't updating their status with useless shit.

How about fix the economy Mark? You can do better then facebook with all that dough.

I see it more from a development standpoint: it's easier to code for and fix 2 smaller apps rather than 1 large app.

What i didnt like is that it was forced. I had tablet with FB on it, showing i had messages, but to see those messages i had to install the new app. That seemed silly as hell. Its like when they send you an email that you have notifications waiting, but dont include the messages in the email when it would be trivial to do so.

At least he answered the question, which is more than can be said for many politicians. Many of them will spring-board it to talk about what they want while ignoring the question entirely.

How about fix the economy Mark? You can do better then facebook with all that dough.

Fix the economy? He's got a net worth of ~$33b. That's the lint you pick out of your pocket change to the US government.

I just keep the mobile app open my browser. If an Pm comes in, I'll check there. Messenger would probably be easier, but I refuse to install yet another app. Then again, PMs aren't a daily thing for me. If I need to go back and forth a lot, I'll probably use SMS.

And hard penises.
And lots of them.
Seriously, if this guy isn't gagging on a sausage he's not living.

"We wanted to do this because we believe that this is a better experience."
This is a sure sign that Facebook users are down deep in the rabbit hole of customer service hell.

Maybe should have been:
"We listened and we wanted to do this because this is what the customer wanted."
But that would have been a lie.

Exactly. This "style" and the "jokes" he feels he needs to put in are getting quite annoying lately. And putting some sentences out of context like he did there, knowing that a lot of people will just read that and believe that Zuckerberg only talked crap, is tabloid style. It's even worse than clickbaiting IMHO.

Back